Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend just reminded me that there was a new report in the Sunday Times recently. In 2002, Wolfson gained £157,000 of income from its assets, Trinity got £25 million and Johns had £7m.

Apparently the authors of this report were criticising Oxbridge for being too rich (Trinity assets are apparently valued at £636m). Something about it being strange that the university should campaign for higher tuition fees when it has all this wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsNeo)
    My friend just reminded me that there was a new report in the Sunday Times recently. In 2002, Wolfson gained £157,000 of income from its assets, Trinity got £25 million and Johns had £7m.

Apparently the authors of this report were criticising Oxbridge for being too rich (Trinity assets are apparently valued at £636m). Something about it being strange that the university should campaign for higher tuition fees when it has all this wealth.
    £157k LOL

ReputationRep:
    It is a relatively new college after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    £157k LOL
    Still, things could be worse - St Edmunds only made £77,000 according to that article.

ReputationRep:
    Very weird article. I love the fact that they completely ignore the fact that Trinity redistributes a lot of that income to other colleges via the university!

ReputationRep:
    Very weird article. I love the fact that they completely ignore the fact that Trinity redistributes a lot of that income to other colleges via the university!
    Well I guess the point they were trying to make is that the university is too rich - not individual colleges........

ReputationRep:
    But they do use the headline "Cambridge college [Trinity] matches Man Utd in wealth league" and make numerous references to Trinity in the article.

ReputationRep:
    But they do use the headline "Cambridge college [Trinity] matches Man Utd in wealth league" and make numerous references to Trinity in the article.
    Oh my god. You may these journo's deliberately used an extreme example, just to make their case sound much stronger than it actually was? I hope they were forced to resign immediately.

Anyway, look on the bright side - at least they got their facts right, rather than just make things up, like a lot of journo's do. Also, it won't have done Trinity's prestige any harm (not that it needs boosting).

ReputationRep:
    It seems all they do there is study and row...........

Even if they don't have a ball, go somewhere else I'd suggest Trinity if you can be bothered to get up early and fight your way through the crowds to get a ticket...

WEll I'm sorry but if you agree (as it seems mentallyill does) then you are missing a very big picture.
    WE need all this money to
    a) safe gaurd the future of the university
    b) pay for what in other universiteis is trival (a new boiler) but which because of the layout/age of our colleges requires a big **** off crane to install
    c) Alot of money goes into bursaries. I get a damned site more money here than i would have anywhere else.
    Just look at how often the colleges need repairing. It's not as though they can skimp on that. Costs a fortune each time. Corpus actually has alot more assets than often atributed (even in the tables we are up at about 5th) but then we have to build a whole new library, bar, jcr (starts next year) all on college grounds. Also the parker library with the biggest collection of anglosaxon texts in the world (bout quarter to half of all the texts in the world) needs new secrutity, accessibility, fireproofing etc.
    Lots of costs that other unis dont have
    J
    Remember, cambridge (and the college buildings within) is as much of a heritage as Dover castle, tower of london etc

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't agreeing that is why I said "I love the fact that they [the authors of the article] completely ignore the fact that Trinity redistributes a lot of that income to other colleges via the university!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    WEll I'm sorry but if you agree (as it seems mentallyill does) then you are missing a very big picture.
    WE need all this money to
    a) safe gaurd the future of the university
    b) pay for what in other universiteis is trival (a new boiler) but which because of the layout/age of our colleges requires a big **** off crane to install
    c) Alot of money goes into bursaries. I get a damned site more money here than i would have anywhere else.
    Just look at how often the colleges need repairing. It's not as though they can skimp on that. Costs a fortune each time. Corpus actually has alot more assets than often atributed (even in the tables we are up at about 5th) but then we have to build a whole new library, bar, jcr (starts next year) all on college grounds. Also the parker library with the biggest collection of anglosaxon texts in the world (bout quarter to half of all the texts in the world) needs new secrutity, accessibility, fireproofing etc.
    Lots of costs that other unis dont have
    J
    Remember, cambridge (and the college buildings within) is as much of a heritage as Dover castle, tower of london etc

Hey hey hey..... I DO NOT agree that Oxbridge is too rich! How could you think such a thing??? Remember I am coming to Cambridge and one of the main reasons for applying to Oxbridge was the supervision system....if they scrap that because they cannot afford it then I would be very upset.

I agree with all your points.

Hey hey hey..... I DO NOT agree that Oxbridge is too rich! How could you think such a thing??? Remember I am coming to Cambridge and one of the main reasons for applying to Oxbridge was the supervision system....if they scrap that because they cannot afford it then I would be very upset.

I agree with all your points.
    :cool: Don't I look the prize **** then lol
    J

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.