Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Biology students

Can anyone give me an answer to a very simple, yet confusing calculation.
    (A2 AQA)
    When we Calculate the population of a mark-release-recapture data (or any other population data), do we;

- round up or down to the nearest number?
    - leave it to 1.d.p?
    - Or does the mark-scheme give a range between values?

Even though I'm a maths student, I'm still unsure what biology examiners except as an answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temi1234)
    Hey Biology students

Can anyone give me an answer to a very simple, yet confusing calculation.
    (A2 AQA)
    When we Calculate the population of a mark-release-recapture data (or any other population data), do we;

- round up or down to the nearest number?
    - leave it to 1.d.p?
    - Or does the mark-scheme give a range between values?

Even though I'm a maths student, I'm still unsure what biology examiners except as an answer
    I don't actually know but I'd expect there to be a range of permissible values - there are for other calculations. . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    I don't actually know but I'd expect there to be a range of permissible values - there are for other calculations. . .
    It's ridiculous how biology examinations are so tough to imagine, out of all the sciences, it's the hardest to figure out what to write that would satisfy the mark-scheme.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by temi1234)
    It's ridiculous how biology examinations are so tough to imagine, out of all the sciences, it's the hardest to figure out what to write that would satisfy the mark-scheme.
    That is coz biology is not governed by inert laws. A no of explanations may be possible for a single question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    That is coz biology is not governed by inert laws. A no of explanations may be possible for a single question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually it's the complete opposite to that, according to biology examination, they follow a distinct mark-scheme, from what I've noticed with my examination board (AQA) They love key terms, yet penalize interpretations of the same meaning. For example "accept Low/High Affinity of oxygen in hemoglobin, reject reference to loading and unloading oxygen" even-though they interpret the same concept (but this example is easier to reconcile with)
    But my problem is with simple calculations, you can lose marks for given it to 2d.p rather than only 1d.p!! :mad: or whole numbers, that one mark is still crucial nonetheless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.