The Student Room Group

What happens if you fail one AS level?

Hi guys, Monique here,

I was wondering what would happen if I failed one of my three AS levels ? I'm doing Psychology, Biology and Maths. And I'm going to and will fail Maths.

I received a progression letter from my college and it said: "attendance is a prerequisite to progression along with obtaining a minimum of two passes at D grade at AS level." In order to pass to A2...

But, if I pass my other 2 subjects and fail maths what will happen to me in maths? I'm really confused... Will I be able to do Maths AS and A2 into one year ? Is that possible ? I could easily handle the work load. Or will I have to spend an extra year re taking it ? Please help me, yo.
Reply 1
Original post by MoniqueBubbles
Hi guys, Monique here,

I was wondering what would happen if I failed one of my three AS levels ? I'm doing Psychology, Biology and Maths. And I'm going to and will fail Maths.

I received a progression letter from my college and it said: "attendance is a prerequisite to progression along with obtaining a minimum of two passes at D grade at AS level." In order to pass to A2...

But, if I pass my other 2 subjects and fail maths what will happen to me in maths? I'm really confused... Will I be able to do Maths AS and A2 into one year ? Is that possible ? I could easily handle the work load. Or will I have to spend an extra year re taking it ? Please help me, yo.

From the look of what you typed out, you need to get 2 D's or better, so failing maths is not actually a problem for this, only for your academic record.
I did maths in a year, though I enjoy maths. Bear in mind that the A2 spec is harder than the AS, so, it's your choice as to whether you carry it on or not :smile:
Original post by joostan
From the look of what you typed out, you need to get 2 D's or better, so failing maths is not actually a problem for this, only for your academic record.
I did maths in a year, though I enjoy maths. Bear in mind that the A2 spec is harder than the AS, so, it's your choice as to whether you carry it on or not :smile:

So it's possible to do AS and A2 in one year ? Even if you've failed the AS ?
Reply 3

I don't know :s-smilie:
The A2 is a fair bit more complicated than the AS, you integrate more complex functions, the trig is harder. . .
Certainly it's possible, but you'll need to work hard - post in the maths forum if you get stuck and it'll all be fine :smile:
Reply 4

It depends tbh.

If you failed because you didn't put any effort in, you may be able to do it if you start working hard in your A2 year.

Otherwise, if you fail AS maths, it's unfortunately unlikely that you can do AS and A2 maths in one year. I mean, if you couldn't even deal with AS maths in a year, what makes you think you can handle AS+A2 in the same period of time?
Depends, why did you fail? Due to lack of interest, effort etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Some people in my year have dropped the AS they failed and picked up another but still continued their A2 studies with the new AS and they're just going to stay on another year to finish the A2. It's not the end of the world, try your best and put the effort in, A Level is hard but I know people who got U's last year in their exams but are now getting C's. I'm not sure if your sixth form works differently, but at mine there's no 'pass' rate to go upto A2, we are allowed to do 2 years unless the school feel we really aren't trying in our subjects. Don't worry, just try your best and perhaps pick up another AS next year and stay on another year.
Original post by Olympiad
Depends, why did you fail? Due to lack of interest, effort etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just wasn't in the right frame of mind really, I didn't pay attention in class or do any revision. The work itself isn't a problem for me, I have no difficulties etc, it's only motivation which is the issue
Original post by rachellaa
Some people in my year have dropped the AS they failed and picked up another but still continued their A2 studies with the new AS and they're just going to stay on another year to finish the A2. It's not the end of the world, try your best and put the effort in, A Level is hard but I know people who got U's last year in their exams but are now getting C's. I'm not sure if your sixth form works differently, but at mine there's no 'pass' rate to go upto A2, we are allowed to do 2 years unless the school feel we really aren't trying in our subjects. Don't worry, just try your best and perhaps pick up another AS next year and stay on another year.

Hmm, I might have to stay another year then. That sounds like a plausible outcome...but not the outcome I would want....
Do you know anyone in your year that has failed an AS then retaken that failed AS WHILST doing A2. And ended up doing an A-level in only one year?
Reply 9
You could retake the AS units in January and really work hard at them then take the A2 in May / June
You really have to put your mind to it though if you do want to get through them. Would a tutor be an option at all?
What are you planning to do after school because most uni courses will ask for 3 full A levels so you may need to think again about applying this year and the impact failing will have on your application.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Hmm, I might have to stay another year then. That sounds like a plausible outcome...but not the outcome I would want....
Do you know anyone in your year that has failed an AS then retaken that failed AS WHILST doing A2. And ended up doing an A-level in only one year?

Oh yeah, loads of people in my year got a U/E/D in their summer exams and resat the exams the following january and came out with C's. I used to do English Lit at AS, my teacher was asked to leave the school because he 'wasn't suitable', that's a whole different story, but because of it many of us only managed E's in our coursework and exams and some with U's. I dropped it because I just couldn't hack it, luckily I had 3 other subjects to fall back on, but others didn't. My friend didn't drop the subject but she has improved a lot and is getting better grades. It's a hard choice but it's one you'll need to do soon, it might be worth it to keep trying, but if you feel like you can't hack it or it's just not working, then I'd try the extra year.
Original post by rachellaa
Oh yeah, loads of people in my year got a U/E/D in their summer exams and resat the exams the following january and came out with C's. I used to do English Lit at AS, my teacher was asked to leave the school because he 'wasn't suitable', that's a whole different story, but because of it many of us only managed E's in our coursework and exams and some with U's. I dropped it because I just couldn't hack it, luckily I had 3 other subjects to fall back on, but others didn't. My friend didn't drop the subject but she has improved a lot and is getting better grades. It's a hard choice but it's one you'll need to do soon, it might be worth it to keep trying, but if you feel like you can't hack it or it's just not working, then I'd try the extra year.

hmm, okay... I'll have ponder on it for a while.
anyway, thanks for the help darling :smile:
Reply 12
hmm, okay... I'll have ponder on it for a while.
anyway, thanks for the help darling :smile:

No problem! :smile:
Hi, you’re probably not gonna see this since it’s been 8 years, but what did you end up doing? I’m pulling all nighter before my as psychology exam tomorrow(today?) and i already got a U on the mock so kinda nervous.
Original post by joostan

Hello I'd like to ask u , if u fail an AS subject byw I take 3 subjects and u plan kn dropping that subject in A2 does the school still promot u to A2?

Latest