Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ? ty

ReputationRep:
    As someone who lives in another country from his family - ill simply say. Go for it. you'll have a great time - yeah it will be hard at first but once you get used to idea of going where you want, doing what you want, doing who you want you will soon relaise you are far better off living your own life with your own responsibilities than having the safety net of mommy and daddy.

You've got to leave the nest sometime - cant exactly get married and have kids and still live with them.....

But im very independent - one of the reasons i broke up with my gf is cos she wouldnt let go of the tit. But shes got a decade number of years on you id imagine

ReputationRep:
    I've moved away for uni and its been the best decision ever, I only go home at the end of term and it's made me so much more independent. Its a personal choice but I'd recommend going for it!

ReputationRep:
    Try easyjet flights, I went from bristol to glasgow for £40 a few years ago

ReputationRep:
    As previously mentioned flights can be purchased very cheaply, they also take less travel time.

With Skype, text messaging phone calls etc your family and friends will never be far away!

Of course you have reservations about leaving home, but this is an opportunity to go away, do your own thing and be yourself! Edinburgh has a great uni its a great city and Scotland has some fantastic countryside.

ReputationRep:
    Just one point really - your trains definitely don't need to cost £160 each way. If you look around, book in advance, and especially use split-ticketing, it will be much, much cheaper.

Just for an example: Southampton to Edinburgh would cost upwards of £100 if you walk into the station and buy it today.

But I just had a look, and if you split ticket from Southampton to Manchester in August, it will cost about £25. Getting a ticket from Manchester to Edinburgh is then £15. Have a look around for train tickets, be willing to change trains a few times, and the journey costs really won't be an issue, especially if you buy a 16-25 railcard.

Edinburgh’s a great uni and a great city. You should go for it! It will be amazing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.