Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post-2000s Draft; Quarter-final - DH1' vs pinda.college Watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you think would win?
    DH1''s team
    80.00%
    pinda.college's team
    20.00%

Hello, welcome to the Post-2000s Draft Game. This is the third Draft Game organized on TSR (to my knowledge, anyway) but for anyone who wasn't around last time or doesn't know how things work: basically, sixteen members have spent the last couple of weeks picking players to make a team (you can see how they did it in this thread), and they are now ready to go head-to-head against each other to win your vote - which do you think is the better team? The voter has both the squad-sheet and the tactics to consider!

The key rule for this edition of the game is that players have to have made their debuts in or after 2000, and they have to have spent most of their careers in one of the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga (apart from one wild-card pick).

Additionally, voters are requested to please justify the votes you cast: an explanation of why you voted for the team you did would be much appreciated and would add to the game and the forum as a whole.

The poll closes in two days.

Quarter-final Game

DH1' vs pinda.college

DH1''s team and tactics

Bios:
    Federico Marchetti - Another in the long line of fine goalkeepers to have played in Serie A. Marchetti has been a great acquisition between the sticks for Lazio. He's helped guide them to consecutive Europa league positions (5th and 4th) and is arguably in the form of his career this season, helping Lazio achieve a current 5th place in the league, knockout stages of the Europa league and also a place in the Coppa Italia final. Capable of pulling off some sublime saves (See this in the Coppa Italia semi final to deny Vidal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZut1HQm-pM ). Marchetti has great reflexes, can command his defence and is known for his reliability.

Zabaleta - You could say he's the ultimate utility player for his ability to play across the back 4, and also in defensive midfield but that would be doing Zabaleta a disservice. He's definitely much more than that. A reliable full back, who almost never makes costly errors in games. Zabaleta always looks comfortable and has shackled some of the best wingers in the premier league, whether it be at LB or his usual position at RB. In my team he'll be at left back, but i'd trust him to perform admirably there even though he's predominantly been used at RB for Man City in the last couple seasons. He likes to stick tight to his man, and can keep the fastest and also the more skillful/creative wingers with more guile quiet. His best quality is his consistency. Wherever he's played, he almost never has a bad game, he's also a leader on the pitch and that's why he's recently been given the role of Vice captain at Manchester City. Zabaleta doesn't just defend, he can be seen bombing up and down the touchline too and has improved his goal/assists tally this season as a result. Zabaleta has won the Premier league title, FA Cup, Copa del Rey(with Espanyol) and also has 24 International caps for Argentina.

Pepe - One of the best CB's in the world. Pepe is quick, can cut off almost anything, aerially dominant and has great power in one on one situations. Aside from being prone to moments of rashness and lashing out, he's pretty much as faultless a CB as they come. Pepe has great mobility on the ground and is a very good threat in the opposition penalty box too. He's also a very clever defender, and was one of the stars of Euro 2012 for Portugal, helping them reach the semi finals before being knocked out by the eventual champions. He was voted in the team of the tournament(2008 & 2012) for his dominant displays throughout. Pepe also loves the big occasions and has been used to great effect by Mourinho in previous ties with Barcelona, whether it be in defensive midfield, or when performing a man marking role at CB. Pepe has won 2 La Liga titles, and a Copa del Rey at Real Madrid.

Alex - Brazilian CB who can strike a mean long range free kick. Alex is another powerful CB like Pepe, but with less pace. However he more than makes up for it with his strength and ability in the tackle. In his debut season with Chelsea, Alex made more appearances than both Terry and Carvalho which is a big statement in itself. Alex has won league titles everywhere he's gone to, and is soon to win another with PSG. Alex was also part of the Brazil defence which kept Messi, Tevez and co quiet in the 2007 Copa America final.

Piszczek - 1st choice RB for Poland and Borussia Dortmund. Piszczek's solid defensive game and excellent attacking ability has made him an integral cog of the impressive Borussia dortmund team that has won the German title 2 years in a row.

Busquets - Not alot needs to be said about this guy. Probably the best non-attacking footballer in the world. Busquets is a fantastic passer, has excellent positioning sense and is probably the best interceptor in Europe. Busquets has been vital to Barcelona and Spain's successes in the last few years. He's the man who breaks down all the opposition attacks and is also the one usually seen starting his teams attacks from deep in midfield. Often goes unnoticed because of all the other stars around him but he's as important to the team as any of them, if not more. By the age of just 23 Busquets had three La Liga titles, two Copa del Reys, two UEFA Champions League titles, a European Championship and a World Cup winners medal to his name. He looks almost certain to add another league title and perhaps another CL trophy to his ever growing collection of trophies this season. In my team Busquets will be key for cutting off passing lanes for opponents and his sharp anticipation skills will be of massive use when intercepting opposition passes and then quickly distributing the ball to a player in a better position. Busquets is the perfect defensive midfielder.

Schweinsteiger - Like with Busquets, Schweinsteiger has excellent passing ability and is also a great tackler. However unlike Busquets, Schweinsteiger has a great attacking game too. He's the perfect box to box midfielder. Schweinsteiger's greatest quality is his ability to dictate the tempo and flow of matches. Schweinsteiger's long range shooting is also one of his strengths. He's an excellent dribbler, accurate passer, great tackler and has a great motor. He doesn't have many flaws at all. Jupp Heynckes on Schweinsteiger:

"He thinks about attack and defence at the same time, and is a key reason that we concede so few goals.

"That's one fabulous player, and in my view Bastian shares with Busquets the status of the world's best midfielder."

Schweinsteiger's honours read as; Bundesliga titles (2003, 05, 06, 08, 10, 13), German Cups (03, 05, 06, 08, 10), German League Cups (04, 07) & Supercups (10, 12). Schweinsteiger also has a staggering 98 caps for Germany, scoring 23 goals in the process.

Marco Reus - An excellent attacker, who's recently started to become world renowned for his ability. Reus has recently cemented his place in the German national team, with 15 caps and 7 goals to his name. Reus has great speed, drive, technique and is very direct on the ball. Scores goals at a fantastic rate, and is also known for his ability from dead ball situations.When losing possession, Reus, much like the Barcelona attackers is great at pressing and winning the ball back too. Reus can play in any of the 4 attacking positions and doesn't look out of place doing so either.

Isco - Isco is another in the long line of playmakers to have come through the Spain conveyer belt in the last few years. Isco is still relatively young at 20 years old, and is by no means the finished article. However his progress in the last 2 years has been rapid. Isco has more than adequately filled the hole left by Malaga's sale of Santi Cazorla and is now a key weapon in Malaga's armoury. He starts pretty much every game. Isco is predominantly a central attacking midfielder but can also play in either of the wide positions. Isco has a great eye for goal and can unlock defences with the most precise of passes, both qualities have been on show in this year's Champions league. Isco has a great first touch and plays a fast tempo attacking game. Isco is small in stature but doesn't go down too easily. Isco will be one of the creative fulcrums of my team, playing in a central attacking role.

El Shaarawy - His main position is upfront in the central striker role, but with the arrival of Balotelli, El Shaarawy has shown that he can also thrive as a left wing forward. He scores plenty of goals, with his best assets being his excellent finishing and also his direct dribbles. El Shaarawy has a great first touch and likes to cut inside. His long range shooting is also great. He has a low centre of gravity and his great ball control has led to comparisons with Messi and Neymar, by AC Milan legend Jose Altafini.

Neymar - Neymar is the hottest talent in Brazil right now, and arguably in the world. His goalscoring exploits for Santos in the last few seasons have led to comparisons to Pele by many pundits and journos alike. Neymar averages a goal every other game for his club and has scored 19 goals in 31 appearances for the Brazil national team. Neymar has a wide range of skills and tricks in his portfolio. Neymar has electrice pace and dribbling ability. His finishing is almost always clinical and he has good playmaking abilities. Neymar is another player that is comfortable in either of the 4 attacking positions.

Mata - Juan Mata plays as an attacking midfielder for Chelsea. He's scored around 30 goals for Chelsea in over 100 appearances at a rate of more than a goal every 4 games. Mata is also the king of the assists having provided over 50 in his time at Chelsea.Mata is no flat track bully, either. He has scored against Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United this season, adding assists against all three as well as against Shakhtar Donetsk and Liverpool. Mata's commitment to the cause can't be faulted, having played in so many games for Chelsea and in tournaments for Spain without a proper break. Mata is a European and World Champion for Spain and an FA Cup/Champions league winner with Chelsea.

Tactics:

When building my draft team, i wanted to start off with a solid score, hence me choosing 2 central midfielders rather than the attacking players in the first couple rounds. I feel this gives me a solid foundation, and makes my team more well rounded. It accounts for the flaws/weaknesses i have in other areas of my team, particlarly as Busquets and Schweinsteiger are 2 of the best midfielders in world football. I believe these 2 are the best midfielders in this draft and that they'll overpower and dominate any other midfield they come up against.

In the last round, i had a rather inexperienced front 4, despite them all being great players in their own right. I've decided to address this somewhat by getting Mata and playing him behind the striker. He will add extra creativity, experience, and better defensive solidity than Isco.

For my match against Pinda, i've decided i will leave Isco on the bench and play Neymar as part of a fluid front 3. My formation will be the same as in the 1st round (4-2-1-3), with Mata just behind El Shaarawy and Reus(RWF) and Neymar(LWF) in the wide forward roles. This is because i want my forwards to be full of pace and dangerous on the counter attack. I want to exploit the lack of pace in the central areas of my opponents team, particularly targeting Lescott as i feel he is better when playing against a target man as opposed to nippy, creative attackers. Busquets and Schweinsteiger will be protecting my back 4, with Schweinsteiger having the energy to join up with the attacks and also run back to help Busquets and the defence when my team is under threat.

Schweinsteiger's runs from deep will be an important factor in my play and i will get him to try and bomb forward unmarked, and take plenty of shots from long distance. Busquets will have the main job of trying to stop Messi. He'll receive a lot of help for this though with Schweinsteiger in the middle too. Obviously when trying to neutralise Messi, i can't be exposed too much to Pinda's other main attacking force, especially Hazard. However i feel Piszczek has the pace to deal with him and he will receive help from the midfielders when Pinda's team attacks.

I know that my 4-2-1-3 formation means Busquets and Schweinsteiger will need to do alot of work, but i feel they are more than up to the task. This formation allows me to overload in the attacking areas of the pitch and hence i feel their midfielders will have a tough job trying to mark or negate a single threat in my side, as i'll be attacking from different angles.

I also feel that with Piszczek and Reus on the right, i have a very dynmatic and attacking duo who will provide boundless energy, and help to pin the opposition fullback back, to negate his threat somewhat. This is one my key attacking weapons and i think BAE would need alot of help to deal with my right sided duo, and i'd wager they'd get the better of him more often than not. Zabaleta should have no problem dealing with Valencia. He has the pace to deal with him, Valencia's other attribute is his crossing, but with no real target man in the box, i don't think i will be punished too much by him.

I believe the opposition will struggle to pick Mata up, and he'll find lots of space to work his magic and thread neat/precise through balls for my front 3 to latch on to. They are all extremely quick and i hope to use this in my favour, especially against Lescott & Mascherano at the back.

Final point i'd like to make is that i hope people don't look at Messi and just automatically assume he's definitely won. See Bayern v Barcelona or even Real/Dortmund for the perfect example of how the team is greater than the individual. They were just so much stronger in every area. Especially with their attacking overloads. The defence couldn't cope at all and i would like to think that is how this match would go.

I believe i have the better balanced midfield, and better defenders to negate his attacking threats, as opposed to vice versa.

Formation diagram:

pinda.college's team and tactics

I decided to drop Pastore for this game and replace him with Yaya Toure. From the feedback in my game against Welsh Leprechaun, I got the impression that Hazard and Valencia tucked in behind Messi on the flanks was sufficient for my attacking phases. Of course that does not mean that I am not going to have an attacking midfielder. I believe that when my team pushes forward on the counter-attack, Toure will be able to burst forward with his pace, strength, and ability to get past players, thus fulfilling that centre mid position. Toure has proven time and time again at City that he is able to do this and provide brilliant balls to the forwards as well as have a shot on goal himself.

The addition of Toure also provides my team with some stability in the middle of the pitch. I believe my three midfielders will really allow the team to dictate the majority of possession whilst ensuring that the three forwards get the ball whenever possible to press forward. I feel that during the attacking phases, I feel that my three forwards will really trouble DH1’s backline. I will also try to ensure that my players assert as much pressure to ensure that Busquets and Schweinsteiger do not get comfortable with possession.

Yes Pepe and Alex are strong however; we’ve seen Messi get passed the likes of: Pique, Ferdinand, Terry, and Vidic. With Hazard and Valencia in support, I feel that they will be too much for DH1’s defence to cope with (especially considering my two full backs love coming forward as well). During the defensive phases I will ensure that Alves is disciplined and always gets back to his position, he has more than enough pace and defensive attributes to keep Neymar quiet (lets remember that Neymar has never faced a defender like Alves before in the Brazilian league). If DH1 decides to be awkward and moves Neymar to the right, then yes I admit that Ekotto might struggle, but this can be solved with Gustavo also closing in on Neymar. I have two very strong central defenders and I believe that they will be able to make it very difficult for DH1’s forwards

ReputationRep:
    If DH1 had a proper striker up top it might be closer, but as it is I think pinda has the stronger team.

ReputationRep:
    DH1's tactics doesn't match his team. He replaced Isco with Mata but that hasn't shown on his team graphic, hopefully no one skips the tactics and doesn't realise, it's a pretty significant upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck DH1

ReputationRep:
    I actually think DH1` wins this. I rate his two CBs more than PD's, and I think his attack overall has more firepower with El Shaarawy (who's had a good season - 16 in 36 in Serie A despite having a bad second half of the season especially since Balotelli joined Milan), Mata, Reus and Neymar.

Valencia doesn't really fit too well in PD's attack for me, especially if you want to get the best out of Messi. Busquets and Schweinsteiger (which would probably be my midfield for Team of the Year 2012/13) is also a better midfield with Mata in front of them, than Gustavo, Toure and Milner.

ReputationRep:
    I am going with DH1` too. I like his team a lot in terms of structure and personel. A midfield of Busquets and Schweinsteiger is unbelievably good. His front four are also exceptional and they are all pretty fluid and can swap positions constantly. He won't be short for goals with Mata, Reus, Neymar and El Shawaary, all of which have had very good goalscoring seasons.

One of my main motivations for going for DH1` over pinda.college's is that DH1 has his players playing in their best position and the only questionable one is Zabaleta as left back (but even he is one of the most versatile players in the world). I feel like DH1` would get the best out of his players, as opposed to pinda.college.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm going for DH1 as well. Close call, but I don't especially rate Milner and Valencia (relative to other players in the draft). Like I've said before it's Milner's best position, but his best isn't much better than his worst - being consistent rather than erratic/unplayable at times makes him a weaker draft pick. Messi doesn't have the players around him who will keep possession anywhere near as much as Barcelona do and will suffer for it. I like DH1's balance much more now as Mata has been included.

(Original post by Louis.)
    DH1's tactics doesn't match his team. He replaced Isco with Mata but that hasn't shown on his team graphic, hopefully no one skips the tactics and doesn't realise, it's a pretty significant upgrade.
    I was later sent an amendment by DH1' and have put in the correct picture now. :yy:

(Original post by DH1')
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Would have voted DH1 but didn' even know there was a game up :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    You too man :yy:
    Well done with the victory

I thought I knew who you would take straight away but then realised it would have a significant impact on the strongest part of your team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Cheers

Yeah, it's a really tricky one now. I'm tempted to just play Schweinsteiger as the only CM but not sure how effective that would be. Not sure who else i would take.
    I really wouldn't disturb the balance of your team, its what won you this game. You've already got plenty of star power anyway. Depending on who you get next, can't you take Messi forward as your reserve? Then sub out Busquets in the next round when you can replace him someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Taking a sub would mean not strengthening your team for the next round. Got to start Messi, surely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Cheers

Yeah, it's a really tricky one now. I'm tempted to just play Schweinsteiger as the only CM but not sure how effective that would be. Not sure who else i would take.
    Was wonder what I'd do if Messi found his way into my team. With Eric Abidal at left back and no replacement for him, I'd be in a similar situation as you. Would probably end up playing Messi at left-back :moon:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.