Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I have to re do my GCSE's if I do an access course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 Universities that I'm looking at, 2 don't mention anything about GCSE requirements, two ask for A-C grades, and one wants B and above in English Language.

I have a D in GCSE from years ago back when I was in School, but I know I am above that, it's not just I'm not the best in exam situations. I'm starting an access course soon but now I don't know if I should redo my GCSE English, do Universities really care about GCSE grades? :/ Will I have time to do an access course and a GCSE in 12 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lokalokaloka)
    I have 5 Universities that I'm looking at, 2 don't mention anything about GCSE requirements, two ask for A-C grades, and one wants B and above in English Language.

I have a D in GCSE from years ago back when I was in School, but I know I am above that, it's not just I'm not the best in exam situations. I'm starting an access course soon but now I don't know if I should redo my GCSE English, do Universities really care about GCSE grades? :/ Will I have time to do an access course and a GCSE in 12 months?
    Generally you will need to meet the GCSE requirements regardless of subsequent qualifications but if a less popular degree choice might be more lenient. The only real way to find out is to email the universities and ask. I got a rejection from one university for not meeting GCSE requirements despite having good access grades, experience, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lokalokaloka)

Most access courses offer one or two GCSEs alongside the Access course itself, so it's a definite possibility.

Or you can speak to admissions and see if they will accept the equivalency you gain whilst doing the Access course!

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on the subject and you. They will often give offers that are different to what is states on the university website. There often flexible with mature students.

I have no GCSe's or A-levels at all. I'm just finishing an Access course (combined studies), and hold offers for law at Manchester University and Warwick (Law with study abroad in English).

ReputationRep:
    I have just done an Access course and needed no other GCSE's (I didn't do any at school). The Access diploma is the equivalent of A level anyway.

But it depends what you want to do at uni, if it's medicine, teaching (sometimes) and some others they will expect GCSE's in Maths, English and Science at grade C or above as well as the Access.

Again, this varies between unis and courses. What courses are you looking at doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helencall)
    I have just done an Access course and needed no other GCSE's (I didn't do any at school). The Access diploma is the equivalent of A level anyway.

But it depends what you want to do at uni, if it's medicine, teaching (sometimes) and some others they will expect GCSE's in Maths, English and Science at grade C or above as well as the Access.

Again, this varies between unis and courses. What courses are you looking at doing?
    I'm going to be studying International Relations. I really want to get into King's College London, their website says nothing about GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    If there website doesn't say anything then surely you won't need them. If you're still concerned though maybe ring their admissions number, they'll tell you or put you through to someone who can tell you the exact requirements. Some unis prefer the Access course to contain specific modules or 24 credits at distinction etc, they'll be able to tell you if they have any Access course specific requirements.
    Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.