Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One for the Grammar Nazi's... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Grammar Test!

I don't often go a day on here without seeing someone correct someone else's incorrect use of either your or you're, so give this a go.

It was a lot harder that I thought, I got 4/10!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you need the apostrophe in "Nazi's", mind.

ReputationRep:
    Nazis*

10/10:smug:

ReputationRep:
    10/10

Easy.

ReputationRep:
    Does it not work on Safari/iPhone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, I got 10/10. I would dispute one of the questions, though. It was one where you were asked to identify which of three sentences was wrong. I felt that they were all of them right and so had to plump for the one I felt that they would think wrong.

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's "I was sat in the chair" - my feeling is that a person can be 'sat' somewhere by another party, for example in the seating plan for a wedding or when under forceful interrogation. Handcuffed and disoriented, I was sat in the chair and asked a series of questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris22)
    Grammar Test!

I don't often go a day on here without seeing someone correct someone else's incorrect use of either your or you're, so give this a go.

It was a lot harder that I thought, I got 4/10!

dont like this quiz but dislike gramma nazis more

"This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put!" Which grammar rule was Winston Churchill supposed to have objected to?

surely the above question is a question about churchill not gramma!

ill ACTUALLY be honest unlike others:rolleyes: i got 4
    i also got an A in my english GCSE and am going to uni my career will be acting / film making and as im not writing scripts so no gramma needs to be involved and when i talk everyone understands what im saying i think this is proof that grammar is necessary and just a hobby for snobs to feel superior !

ReputationRep:
    9/10.

I'm useless with may/might.

ReputationRep:
    language is like cutlery
    you got your good knife, spoon, fork set which you can use to eat all your food with and then you got your posh cutlery sets with your 5 varietys of spoons and fish forks and gold plated knifes which no one really needs and half the people dont know how to use, but the the people who do have these cutlery can look down on thoes usual people with their one fork , one spoon and one knife

gramma is like that there are words that we all use and understand and then theres your snobby gramma that is kinda uneccersary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernme_)
    language is like cutlery
    you got your good knife spoon fork set which you can use to eat all your food with and then you got your posh cutlery sets with your 5 varietys of spoons and fish forks and gold plated knifes which no one really needs and half the people dont know how to use, but the the people who do have these cutlery can look down on thoes usual people with their one fork , one spoon and one knife

gramma is like that there are words that we all use and understand and then theres your snobby gramma that is kinda uneccersary to the meal
    Do you generalise to the point where you find everyone who has a good understanding of grammar to be arrogant?

If you've got it, flaunt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernme_)
    language is like cutlery
    you got your good knife, spoon, fork set which you can use to eat all your food with and then you got your posh cutlery sets with your 5 varietys of spoons and fish forks and gold plated knifes which no one really needs and half the people dont know how to use, but the the people who do have these cutlery can look down on thoes usual people with their one fork , one spoon and one knife st

gramma is like that there are words that we all use and understand and then theres your snobby gramma that is kinda uneccersary
    You're just bitter about getting 4/10.

ReputationRep:
    4 out of 10 too haha...........

genuinely got A*'s in my english lit & lang GCSE's though..

so what does that tell you about how easy GCSE english is?

ReputationRep:
    5/10. The one about Hilary was ridiculously hard? I still don't understand the Hilary/sibling question - Someone explain who has done the quiz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    5/10. The one about Hilary was ridiculously hard? I still don't understand the Hilary/sibling question - Someone explain who has done the quiz?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "I'd like to introduce you to my sister Clara, who lives in Madrid, to Benedict, my brother who doesn't, and to my only other sibling, Hilary."

Benedict is "my brother who doesn't live in Madrid". This as opposed to "my brother, who doesn't live in Madrid."

The distinction here is between types of clauses and what they imply.

Consider:

Mushrooms which are poisonous can make a person very sick.
    Mushrooms, which are poisonous, can make a person very sick.

Does this help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "I'd like to introduce you to my sister Clara, who lives in Madrid, to Benedict, my brother who doesn't, and to my only other sibling, Hilary."

Benedict is "my brother who doesn't live in Madrid". This as opposed to "my brother, who doesn't live in Madrid."

Consider:

Does this help?

Still finding it hard to understand, I suppose I'll have a think over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Consider:

Does this help?

That was the only question I got wrong, makes sense now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.