Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    due to personal reasons I missed out on everything we covered to do with defamation, I've been given this question to do and have no idea where to start, can anyone help me with where to start? I don't need anyone to "do my work for me" just a nudge in the right direction if anyone could help

thankyou very much!

1. Amy, the wife of a famous Nottingley United footballer, recently met Bernadette at a celebrity party. Amy did not realise that Bernadette was a journalist from The Daily Truth newspaper. After a few drinks Amy told Bernadette that Howard, the goalkeeper of Nottingley United, was so bad at his job that sometimes she wondered whether he was conceding goals on purpose, that the defenders at the club were now so big that they looked like they were all on steroids and that the club’s manager, Igor, was hitting the bottle.

The Daily Truth published Bernadette’s story under the headline “Exclusive: Bribes, Booze and Drugs: The Scandal at Nottingley United”. In the article Bernadette stated that sources very close to the club had confirmed that Howard, the goalkeeper had been accepting bribes for years, that all of the club’s defenders including the club captain, Jason, took illegal drugs and that Igor, the club’s manager was a chronic alcoholic. Before publishing the story Bernadette telephoned the club for a comment but was told that the manager and players were unavailable as they were in a training camp overseas.

Carl, an online sports commentator, read the article in the newspaper and immediately posted an item on Twitter which read “No surprise: Howard was paid, Igor was smashed and the back four were pumped up. Nice muscles Jason.”

In fact Howard has never taken a bribe, the club’s defenders including Jason have been on a new fitness regime to increase muscle strength, and Igor is teetotal (he does not drink alcohol).

Advise Amy, The Daily Truth and Carl of their potential liabilities in the tort of defamation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.