Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do grades really matter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it annoy you when somebody you know dosen't revise yet still gets better grades than you?

Yet they don't deserve the grade! You work harder than them and learn everything yet through luck they get better than you? The point i'm trying to make is in my opinion grades aren't always a true representative of your knowledge.

You only get asked a few select questions out of an entire 2 modules, for example in biology a level ,and you could revise day in day out and you could end up with the same mark of someone who only revised a few key areas but coincedentally the same areas come up on the exam and that person gets a high grade. This isn't fair but it still happens, I mean I know there are people that truly do revise and they deserve to get the high grades, but most of the time i feel that the exam system is flawed.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Well they're one of the only methods of comparing people for jobs/uni etc. without physically interviewing each candidate.

Speaking as someone who works hard and achieves high grades I would say yes they do matter as they prove you have the capability to learn and process information (which is vital in employment) however there are flaws and this is why the top unis require tests to be undertaken (Cambridge thinking skills assessment for example) to get an idea of how "intelligent" that person actually is when faced with something they have never seen before,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.