Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What kind of productive stuff can I do this summer holiday? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where to ask this so I'll ask on here.
    I don't want to waste all my summer holidays doing nothing.
    I've applied for a Nuffield research placement, though I don't think I've got accepted as I haven't heard from my region coordinator at all.
    Looked up on free summer camps abroad, but they're all full
    Got accepted into Durham summer school - this is the only thing I'm looking forward to.
    Doubt anyone will accept me if I apply for a summer job now.
    So what else can I do in the long and boring summer holidays?
    *best if I don't need to spend any money*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could take part in the National Citizen Service, or volunteer to aid the Scouts/do community volunteering. Or run a charity race or something, maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have some fun! You're only young once!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take part in a sport? Diet? Volunteer work? Personally I'm going to start swimming after exams, and try to keep it as a hobby when I'm at uni again
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bookler_Natsu)
    I don't know where to ask this so I'll ask on here.
    I don't want to waste all my summer holidays doing nothing.
    I've applied for a Nuffield research placement, though I don't think I've got accepted as I haven't heard from my region coordinator at all.
    Looked up on free summer camps abroad, but they're all full
    Got accepted into Durham summer school - this is the only thing I'm looking forward to.
    Doubt anyone will accept me if I apply for a summer job now.
    So what else can I do in the long and boring summer holidays?
    *best if I don't need to spend any money*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How about doing some volunteering somewhere. Even in a charity shop somewhere would be better than nothing.
    Also, i dont think it would be too late to apply for jobs. So id get applying.

ReputationRep:
    I've planning on teaching myself how a motorbike works! Get out and do something practical; learn a new sport or hobby or even do some travelling- head into Europe and see some of the wonderful sights.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for commenting.
    I've been volunteering on a weekly basis in a charity shop already, but i doubt that will keep me busy.
    It would be nice I can apply for some sport or something, but I really don't want to spend money from my parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    How about doing some volunteering somewhere. Even in a charity shop somewhere would be better than nothing.
    Also, i dont think it would be too late to apply for jobs. So id get applying.
    So would some shop still take me for a summer part time job? As I will take days off to go to the Durham summer school, it will leave me hardly no time to do shifts in the 6 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I will be finishing my degree soon so my plans are:

Look for a job
    Spend the 5 months before a holiday to workout each day.
    Read as many books as I can (I just got into reading for the first time in my life)
    I will be volunteering

Thats all i have so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lassiesuca)
    I've planning on teaching myself how a motorbike works! Get out and do something practical; learn a new sport or hobby or even do some travelling- head into Europe and see some of the wonderful sights.
    Amazing! Do you ride?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    I will be finishing my degree soon so my plans are:

Look for a job
    Spend the 5 months before a holiday to workout each day.
    Read as many books as I can (I just got into reading for the first time in my life)
    I will be volunteering

Thats all i have so far
    I guess reading is another thing I can do...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So would some shop still take me for a summer part time job? As I will take days off to go to the Durham summer school, it will leave me hardly no time to do shifts in the 6 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How long will you be at this summer school for, and what days, times etc

ReputationRep:
    I guess reading is another thing I can do...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont read fiction books, non fiction books on self help or just improving skills really do help. So maybe think about learning a language or new skill and read about it. Those summer days could help you really achieve something good, thats what im hoping i will get from them.

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer, start training for something, babysit, learn something new like coding or carpentry, do a project like make an app or write a novel, start a business, visit family and friends, do a different challenge each day, read, do something you've always wanted to do..,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    How long will you be at this summer school for, and what days, times etc
    From 18th August for 5 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    I dont read fiction books, non fiction books on self help or just improving skills really do help. So maybe think about learning a language or new skill and read about it. Those summer days could help you really achieve something good, thats what im hoping i will get from them.
    Yeah, I suppose that's another thing I can do! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ange de la nuit)
    Volunteer, start training for something, babysit, learn something new like coding or carpentry, do a project like make an app or write a novel, start a business, visit family and friends, do a different challenge each day, read, do something you've always wanted to do..,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From 18th August for 5 days

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats fine, you can just book those days off (it may have to be unpaid though as you wont have been there long).
    There are plenty of places to apply for, such as shops, supermarkets, fast food places etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Amazing! Do you ride?
    My Dad has a Harley but I must admit it's a bit heavy for me to handle still as it's a huge piece of equipment! I still need to officially take my bike test but I need to get my driving test out the way with first :-( . Ultimately hoping to get a Harley which is slightly smaller (you get them custom made for your size) so I will have one which isn't quite so heavy on the handling

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking the same at the moment because although I've got a job, I'm on a one-day-a-week contract without much overtime available. So far, I've applied for some voluntary work (in a hospital and on a summer programme with kids with special needs) and I'm learning to drive. Not sure how else to spend my time though...

(Does anyone know how to go about balancing 2 jobs if I can get a temporary one? I'm worried the shifts will clash etc. )

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.