The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the M1 June 2013 exam on Edexcel?

So I did the M1 exam this week and it was going really well (got an answer for everything and was reasonably confident) until with about 3 minutes remaining, I noticed that I hadn't seen the final question. Probably the worst feeling I've ever had. I managed to scrape possibly 3 marks out of it in those last few minutes (it was question 8 with the 2 particles joined together with one moving along the horizontal plane and one hanging down off the end). This was the most annoying thing because in all the past papers I was getting about 95%+, so it really doesn't reflect my ability.

That was a 10 mark question so I probably lost about 7 marks on it. Accepting the fact that I would have made several mistakes on the exam paper, I'm taking off perhaps another 6 marks, plus 2 more just for safety haha.

This means I probably got about 80%, and could be less.

The reason I'm asking how people found it is so that we can try and make a guess at what the grade boundaries might be. These are the boundaries for January 2013, which I found was a lot easier than the one we did:

Out of 75, 64 for A; 57 for B; 51 for C; 45 for D.

So how did everyone find this exam? Easy? Hard? Much harder or easier than past papers? Let me know! In my opinion, overall this paper was a fair bit harder than other ones I tried.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I honestly thought it was the hardest math paper I've ever done :s-smilie: I had no Idea how to do the non-uniform rod question either cause I couldn't find a way to get rid of one of the variables
Reply 2
Can someone plz answer me:
for the moment question, u have to form 2 equations to find the mass and solve it simultaneously, but i made a mistake in one of them,so does that mean that i am goin to lose all 8 marks plus the 6 marks question to find AX?
I think it was quite an easy paper..i just don't know why i screwed up the moment question..:frown:
There's a mark scheme out and you can check your answers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I thought that the paper was absolutely terrible. Don't get me started about that moments question. I entered the exam quite confidently as I would get over 90% in past papers but I reckon I've lost about 25 marks in that paper.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by olly_price
So I did the M1 exam this week and it was going really well (got an answer for everything and was reasonably confident) until with about 3 minutes remaining, I noticed that I hadn't seen the final question. Probably the worst feeling I've ever had. I managed to scrape possibly 3 marks out of it in those last few minutes (it was question 8 with the 2 particles joined together with one moving along the horizontal plane and one hanging down off the end). This was the most annoying thing because in all the past papers I was getting about 95%+, so it really doesn't reflect my ability.

That was a 10 mark question so I probably lost about 7 marks on it. Accepting the fact that I would have made several mistakes on the exam paper, I'm taking off perhaps another 6 marks, plus 2 more just for safety haha.

This means I probably got about 80%, and could be less.

The reason I'm asking how people found it is so that we can try and make a guess at what the grade boundaries might be. These are the boundaries for June 2012, which I found was a lot easier than the one we did:

Out of 72, 59 for A; 50 for B; 41 for C; 33 for D.

So how did everyone find this exam? Easy? Hard? Much harder or easier than past papers? Let me know! In my opinion, overall this paper was a fair bit harder than other ones I tried.

the grade boundary for an a in june 2012 was 66 not 59 and it was out of 75
Reply 7
Original post by dreamgirl13
Can someone plz answer me:
for the moment question, u have to form 2 equations to find the mass and solve it simultaneously, but i made a mistake in one of them,so does that mean that i am goin to lose all 8 marks plus the 6 marks question to find AX?
I think it was quite an easy paper..i just don't know why i screwed up the moment question..:frown:

Don't worry, I doubt you'll lose all 8 marks. Hopefully get carry on marks, provided you did the rest of the question with the correct approach!

Well it looks like everyone found this paper really hard compared to past papers, so hopefully the grade boundary will go down lots!
Reply 8
I've edited my question with the January 2013 grade boundaries. I found the January 2013 paper lots easier than our one, did anyone else do it and find our one much harder?

This suggests that hopefully the grade boundary would have gone down to perhaps above 75% - 78% for an A.
Reply 9

Thanks for that, I think I got most of them right except 2b maybe and the one I didn't see of course! So annoyed I did that, can't stop thinking about it
Reply 10
Hated every minute of this exam :s-smilie: I lost about 25 marks in total... gutted :frown: I did all the past papers ect was getting 90% average.. then ths paper came along and threw me into depression .. How did everyone else think it went?
Reply 11
I found the paper fairly easy. It wasn't that hard but I hope the grade boundaries will be low because majority of the students flopped it.
Reply 12
Boundaries will be lower than Jan 2013 as only hard question on that was Vector, this year it was Suvat, Lift, Moments, an vectors. Also all the weak candidates take the exam in June and I think because there is two different papers from international it stops cheating so lower boundaries.
Reply 13
What about C1, did everyone find that OK? I personally thought it was the easiest paper I've ever sat and wouldn't be surprised if I got close or equal to 100% so I'm really happy about that one.
Reply 14
I thought it was ok tbh... But everyone else hated it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by JoeFo
I thought it was ok tbh... But everyone else hated it

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly the same with me, wasn't that hard, definitely tougher than past papers though, but they were easy!

Quick Reply

Latest