The Student Room Group

Biology A2

Hi,

I was just wondering in what context would you mention stabilizing and directional selection.

For instance, if a mutation in a population occured making a plant resistant to a herbicide, those susceptible would die out and those resistant would survive, due stabilizing selection.

However, could I say, that this leads to directional selection, as some alleles may die out and are not passed on to the next generation, whereas the alleles for herbicide resistance increases in the population as the plants reproduce and all the offspring inherit the characteristic?

or have I got the wrong idea :confused:

thanks in advance.
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
That is an example of directional selection; the change is working in one direction i.e. favouring those who are resistant

Stabilising selection is where the change is towards the average, so all plants having similar sized leaves instead of some having massive leaves and some having smaller leaves, for example
Reply 3
Original post by Gnome :)
That is an example of directional selection; the change is working in one direction i.e. favouring those who are resistant

Stabilising selection is where the change is towards the average, so all plants having similar sized leaves instead of some having massive leaves and some having smaller leaves, for example

ah thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending