Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

England vs Rep of Ireland Atmosphere Watch

ReputationRep:
    So whats this going to be like then?

How long before we hear No Surrender to the IRA scum chants? I say odds on within the first 10 minutes.

Irish National anthem to be booed? Most likely.

Crowd trouble? I would say unlikely because even if they did England don't often riot at home.

Really whats the point of having this friendly? We know there's going to be a lot of idiots turning up for this game for political point scoring, both English loyalists utterly obsessed with Northern Ireland and staunch celtic-wearing Irish republicans.

Pointless and totally unecessary friendly IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)

How long before we hear No Surrender to the IRA scum chants? I say odds on within the first 10 minutes.

Crowd trouble? I would say unlikely because even if they did England don't often riot at home.

Really whats the point of having this friendly? We know there's going to be a lot of idiots turning up for this game for political point scoring, both English loyalists utterly obsessed with Northern Ireland and staunch celtic-wearing Irish republicans.

It's going to be like every other England game at Wembley, very flat and remarkably quiet. Most of the times the only thing thats even audible on TV is the terrible band in the stands, the fans aren't.

This is the year 2013, and its New Wembley. The type of people it will attract are predominently the middle classes, who will have a family day out at the football. Paint their kids faces like a St George cross, spend a small fortune buying snacks and drinks and then ask a fella in a yellow jacket to show them to their seat, where they'll sit and observe for 90 minutes. Occasionally adding in a flutter of polite applause during the exciting points of the match.

A little bit of trouble might actually give some excitement value to it all and create an atmosphere, but it wont happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)

Didnt even know they were playing? :confused:

**** the politics, lets all head down to Kilburn after Wembley and get the beers in. Love a bit of the pogues me.

Btw, I'm English and I'll say right now that any crowd trouble will be caused by the English. Hooliganism is not an Irish thing.

ReputationRep:
    Really looking forward to watching this should be one of the biggest games we (Ireland) play till next euro qualifiers seeing as we have realistically lost 2nd place in our world cup qualifiers.

Bit of neighborly pride at stake should bring out a good performance from Ireland anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a N.Ireland Catholic/Nationalist but don't really support any national sides. I don't think there will be any trouble in the stadium but in the bars before and after the game, that's a different story. They should know that the IRA finished up long ago, the people who call themselves the IRA now are just drug dealing thugs. The ground will be full of Celtic shirt wearing republicans and bald english knuckle dragging bulldogs., oh and the rangers scottish fans will likely pop down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddman10)
    I'm a N.Ireland Catholic/Nationalist but don't really support any national sides. I don't think there will be any trouble in the stadium but in the bars before and after the game, that's a different story. They should know that the IRA finished up long ago, the people who call themselves the IRA now are just drug dealing thugs. The ground will be full of Celtic shirt wearing republicans and bald english knuckle dragging bulldogs., oh and the rangers scottish fans will likely pop down.
    Dountful. England games these days are full of middle class families from Sussex sitting in silence and taking photos. Most hooligans are banned from Wembley although they can usually find a way in if they want. But Irish hooliganism doesnt even exist AFAIK?

London is full of second generation plastic paddies as well so half of the Irish section will have cockney accents tbh. Kilbur/Cricklewood is the mecca of Irish boozers in London, but mostly full of old timers who couldnt fight if they wanted to so cant see many issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Dountful. England games these days are full of middle class families from Sussex sitting in silence and taking photos. Most hooligans are banned from Wembley although they can usually find a way in if they want. But Irish hooliganism doesnt even exist AFAIK?

London is full of second generation plastic paddies as well so half of the Irish section will have cockney accents tbh. Kilbur/Cricklewood is the mecca of Irish boozers in London, but mostly full of old timers who couldnt fight if they wanted to so cant see many issues.
    I didn't know about them being banned. As long as the Irish stick to the irish pubs it should be ok i suppose.

Minimal trouble probably, Ireland fans will sing a couple of rounds of Athenry, England fans will sing a couple of their songs then it'll settle in to a normal friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Can't imagine much trouble. Not in this day and age with all the police presence on the streets due to counter-terrorism and that.

The trouble happened last time because the garda never bothered to act on intelligence from London that warned of combat 18 idiots among the English fans. Those involved would never have gotten into an English stadium, at least not enough of them to cause much trouble. What was worse than letting them in was they were in the upper tier of Landsdowne and were able to tear apart the wooden seats and launch them all around that area of the stadium.

They were not there for a football game, they were there to bring politics into sport, rather idiotic, misinformed and racist politics at that.

Slim to nil chance that there will be any violence. Few stupid fans booing anthems and singing provocative chants for reasons beyond their knowledge, however can't see much else happening.

Its been 15yrs since the peace agreements were signed and nearly 20yrs since the previous game which was held in the closing days of the troubles. On top of that it is over 90yrs since the conflict in the republic ended. So today, any trouble at all is pointless, so to have trouble between fans in a football game is beyond the definition of stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    Northern Ireland can be a tricky place to be. The attitude of some people can be disgusting and there's a general incline towards imaginary okayness with a lot of people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.