ReputationRep:
    Mods,

Before you delete the good legitimate threads*, can you not lock them and delete them a few hours later?

Why? Because it's very annoying when you're watching a thread, you've been quoted in a thread or you're having a conversation in a thread and then it gets deleted. There has been more posts in the thread since you last looked so now you will never know what was said.

By locking the threads and deleting them a few hours later, it means we can read the thread and carry on any conversations via PM or something. It's so annoying when you click a thread and it says 'You don't have permission to view this thread'... grrr.

*Obviously delete the spam ones- 'Make £1000 a week online using this website!' because that's boring. I'm talking about the ones like 'I ruined my bacon sandwich' which are perfectly acceptable but you like to delete for the fun of it anyway.

Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Mods,

Before you delete the good legitimate threads*, can you not lock them and delete them a few hours later?

Why? Because it's very annoying when you're watching a thread, you've been quoted in a thread or you're having a conversation in a thread and then it gets deleted. There has been more posts in the thread since you last looked so now you will never know what was said.

By locking the threads and deleting them a few hours later, it means we can read the thread and carry on any conversations via PM or something. It's so annoying when you click a thread and it says 'You don't have permission to view this thread'... grrr.

*Obviously delete the spam ones- 'Make £1000 a week online using this website!' because that's boring. I'm talking about the ones like 'I ruined my bacon sandwich' which are perfectly acceptable but you like to delete for the fun of it anyway.

Thanks...
    How on earth can a thread entitled "I ruined my bacon sandwhich" be in breach of the rules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    How on earth can a thread entitled "I ruined my bacon sandwhich" be in breach of the rules?
    I'm not sure. I was explaining how I ruined my sandwhich with mustard. Maybe the mod didn't like mustard

ReputationRep:
    Mods,

Thanks...
    We never remove threads "for the fun of it" - where a thread is removed, it will be due to posts that break the site rules. The mod team are charged with removing rule-breaking content from the site as soon as possible, so we wouldn't in general want to leave rule-breaking threads up for any longer than necessary.

I won't be able to discuss the specific thread that you mention in detail here, but if you'd like to post in Ask A Moderator an appropriate member of the mod team will be happy to explain why it was removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    We never remove threads "for the fun of it" - where a thread is removed, it will be due to posts that break the site rules. The mod team are charged with removing rule-breaking content from the site as soon as possible, so we wouldn't in general want to leave rule-breaking threads up for any longer than necessary.

I won't be able to discuss the specific thread that you mention in detail here, but if you'd like to post in Ask A Moderator an appropriate member of the mod team will be happy to explain why it was removed.
    Ok thanks for the reply. I posted in the Ask a Mod bit.

But I still think it would be good for you to lock it and remove it later, even if it's just up for an extra hour or something

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the reply. I posted in the Ask a Mod bit.

But I still think it would be good for you to lock it and remove it later, even if it's just up for an extra hour or something
    That would leave rule-breaking content on the site unnecessarily long. :no: It's also not technically possible for us to schedule thread removal to take place at a given time and manually doing so would both add a significant amount of extra work and be hard to keep track of. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed a somewhat loose definition of "spam". Imo spam should be advertising and bot-use, not posts/threads that are deemed too silly or nonsensical, especially if they're in Chat.

However, other than that minor detail which I've only noticed once, I think the mods are doing a decent job.

That would leave rule-breaking content on the site unnecessarily long. :no: It's also not technically possible for us to schedule thread removal to take place at a given time and manually doing so would both add a significant amount of extra work and be hard to keep track of. :sadnod:
    time_of_actual_deletion = time_of_intention_to_delete + waiting_period

Can't you just throw something like that somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure someone on here could knock you up a script or whatever to make that possible

When you delete a thread, it still shows up on the watched threads and the 'who quoted me' thing (and sometimes latest discussions I think). Is it not possible to get rid of it completely so we aren't teased by clicking the thread title only to find it's been deleted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    I have noticed a somewhat loose definition of "spam". Imo spam should be advertising and bot-use, not posts/threads that are deemed too silly or nonsensical, especially if they're in Chat.

However, other than that minor detail which I've only noticed once, I think the mods are doing a decent job.
    The extent of posts that we treat as 'spam' is outlined in a few places, such as the Study Help posting guidelines: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...idelines#rules
    It's notable that Chat generally has a more lenient policy when it comes to cuh posts, though.

I'm sure someone on here could knock you up a script or whatever to make that possible
    Not really - it's an action that would need to be processed server-side rather than something that could be done by a browser extension or similar. :nah:
    When you delete a thread, it still shows up on the watched threads and the 'who quoted me' thing (and sometimes latest discussions I think). Is it not possible to get rid of it completely so we aren't teased by clicking the thread title only to find it's been deleted
    Yeah, I appreciate that that can be annoying and it's been mentioned a few times as a point for potential development so hopefully the community team should be aware of that. Removed threads should drop off from these eventually, at least.

(Original post by The_Last_Melon)

I agree with you on the problems with the definition of spam since it traditionally has a narrower scope than what it does on TSR and the definition is not effectively clarified on TSR as a whole, leading to confusion in threads, AAM and reports. I think non-contributory posts (which is a better way of looking at it than silly/nonsensical posts) can fall under a different definition or the current definition could at least be made a little clearer. Fortunately, as far as I'm aware, it's being worked on.

It's also worth mentioning that 'spam' (so "silly" or "nonsensical" posts) is permitted in Chat. We're working on making this clearer since it does seem to confuse a large group of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    It's also worth mentioning that 'spam' (so "silly" or "nonsensical" posts) is permitted in Chat. We're working on making this clearer since it does seem to confuse a large group of people.
    So if you post 'spam' in the wrong forum, will a mod delete the thread or move it to chat?

ReputationRep:
    Not really - it's an action that would need to be processed server-side rather than something that could be done by a browser extension or similar. :nah:
    Could be done client-side (all moderation actions are based on client requests), however using such a script could break the T&Cs of the site

So if you post 'spam' in the wrong forum, will a mod delete the thread or move it to chat?
    When I have reported spam, assuming it isn't rule breaking in another way, it gets moved to chat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Could be done client-side (all moderation actions are based on client requests), however using such a script could break the T&Cs of the site
    You'd need still to be online, though? And actually, for certain actions we can schedule actions to be done server-side ...but not thread moves.

ReputationRep:
    You'd need still to be online, though? And actually, for certain actions we can schedule actions to be done server-side ...but not thread moves.
    Well true, technically *anything* which can be done client-side can be done server-side

And yes, without increasing difficulty by quite a bit (and having some form of server-space), then the person would need to be online to have some kind of scheduling.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.