Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I am interested in a career in clinical psychology. I just really want to know the basics: can I apply for any Psychology degree, and still progress on to become qualified? Which universities offer a Phd programme (I presume that is what I will need) in Psychology? Are some Universities better than others?

    My basic academic background:
    a*- biology
    a*- physics
    a- maths
    a*- english language
    a*- english literature
    a*- religious education
    a- geography
    b- german
    ICT- distinction
    BTEC Media- distinction*

    I am predicted BBB in A Level Psychology, English Lit and Geography, although hopefully I will pick up an A or two.

    I have also applied to take AS levels in science subjects next year, because of my desire to pursue a more scientific career. I will either do these, or work for a year. I haven't applied to University yet, but I plan to this autumn.

    Firstly I'm not a psychologist but I am about to embark on a psychology PhD so although I'm not 100% sure I think this is the case

    You do a bsc in psychology (yes some unis are better as with most subjects), then usually do a masters (unless you can persuade them you don't need it, then you do a DClinPsy which is a doctorate but different to a PhD


    Posted from TSR Mobile

    You need to get at least a 2:1 in BSc psychology and then a doctorate, or if you don't get the 2:1 or higher, you can do the masters and then the doctorate.

    You may find this thread useful.


    The BPS (British Psychological Society )website should have all the information you need: http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-educat...al-psychologis

    Here is a suggested route to becoming a clinical psychologist (people may prefer to take gap years, do other things before training etc. but this is the most straightforward route):

    1. BPS accredited undergraduate psychology degree at 2.1 or above - 3 years (4 if your course offers a placement)
    2. Experience in an assistant psychologist role/related area - 2+ years
    3. Clinical psychology doctorate - 3 years

    You do not need a Masters in order to apply for the doctorate, but it may help your application.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.