The Student Room Group

How to revise of Mice and Men and Inspector calls GCSE English literature

I have my English literature exam on monday and its on Of Mice & Men and Inspector Calls, does anyone have any tips on how to revise? Or anything I should do because I really want an A/A* and I'm currently working on a B
Reply 1
Is this the WJEC one? My teacher told me today that it was Of Mice and Men and unseen poetry, but she didn't even know what we were doing until I asked her.

I don't think I'm going to do very well, but I want an A/A*because I'm trying to get into another sixth form, but my teacher has pretty much made that impossible :frown:.

My tips would be when you can be bothered go through revision guides (if you have any) they usually have good points about each novel. If you don't have any go on bitesize because that's good too. When you're feeling a little lazier maybe look on youtube for some videos because all you have to do is watch them and you're still revising

I hope I helped :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks but its the AQA one not WJEC, Yeah I do have revision guides so I'll look through them, thank you though
Reply 3
hey, mines on monday too AQA. Well our teacher gave us a CGP of mice and men and inspector calls book to revise from so you can get to know all the characters and stuff. I didn't know how to revise but i went on aqa's website and went on past exam papers to see the questions. Then i looked at the mark scheme to see what kinda stuff they were looking for which i guess helps. But one thing my teacher said is to keep re-reading the books so you pretty much know what happens in which section and yeah... :biggrin:

:u:
Reply 4
I agree with the above poster (andy96). I think the only thing you can really do is reread the books and get a good understanding of who the characters are and the themes that they have. I have the same exam on Monday and I haven't really done much. I'm also going for that A*. Like I said, just reread the books, get an understanding of the characters and attempt some questions like the other person said. Look at the mark schemes to understand what the examiners want you to do as well.
Reply 5
Hi, I'm doing Of Mice And Men too. If you want an A*, with pretty much everything you analyse, give an alternative effect, like for a past paper I did, (the question was how does the passage add to your understanding of George and Lennie's relationship) I took a quote as evidence, and looked for alternative meaning. For example, "George looked at his solitaire hand with a deliberate, thoughtful, slowness". You could take the word "thoughtful", and say "thoughtful" could mean being thoughtful toward another person, so George is being thoughtful toward Lennie by being like Lennie-slow. However, it could also mean literally thinking a lot. This gives George a manipulative edge, so he can get the maximum amount of information from Lennie.
If you could emulate that, it will probably get you an A/A*.
Hope this helps :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending