Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i want to be an architect, but what architecual courses are there in uni?
    and what subject are required? i'm really confused, is there one subject where you design from houses to buildings to cities? i'm only in year 10 but i've taken my a level maths, because i'm sure it's required, but what subjects are needed and how many architectual subjects are there? is there some competitions that i could enter so that i can put in my cv for uni so i can have a higher chance of going to a good one, and last of all what uni(es) are good for architect?
    any skills should i get use to? cuz it's 3 years till uni and i think i should start prepareing.
    thx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin1832)
    i want to be an architect, but what architecual courses are there in uni?
    and what subject are required? i'm really confused, is there one subject where you design from houses to buildings to cities? i'm only in year 10 but i've taken my a level maths, because i'm sure it's required, but what subjects are needed and how many architectual subjects are there? is there some competitions that i could enter so that i can put in my cv for uni so i can have a higher chance of going to a good one, and last of all what uni(es) are good for architect?
    any skills should i get use to? cuz it's 3 years till uni and i think i should start prepareing.
    thx!
    To be a 'proper' architect there's only one course, Architecture. In order to be a full architect (and not an architectural assistant) you need to become chartered, which requires a 3 year degree (Part I), 1 year work placement, followed by a 2 year masters degree (Part II), and then a minimum of 1 more year working in an architecture office. Then you take a final exam (Part III) and you're a fully qualified architect!

If you don't complete the whole process then you can be an (senior if experienced enough) architectural assistant, or you can do different but similar degrees like landscape architecture, interior design, city planning, etc etc. But doing those won't make you an architect (and as an architect you'll be able to design whatever you can, from houses to towers and bridges).

You could enter design competitions, maybe product design or something that shows a creative side.. but you won't have the first idea how to compete in an architecture competition unless you have help, I remember how clueless we all were when we started our 1st years :lol:

You could always get some summer work experience in an architecture office, that's what I did, and they can often teach you the basics in CAD programs like AutoCAD and Sketchup, which is really useful. It wouldn't be paid though, since they'll actually be losing productivity helping you out with things, but if a practice doesn't have much work at the time then they might not mind

As a rough guide you can check out the Guardian's guide to architecture schools in the UK - but really you should be making more informed choices based on the locations, what the course offers that you find interesting, etc etc

Feel free to ask any more questions, use the Quote button at the bottom right of my post so I see if you've replied!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Although an Architecture degree is really the best way to become an Architect, Theres many more options out there. I wanted to be an Architect at your age but when i looked in to the courses available i decided actually it wasn't right for me.

If you're purely into the design aspect then go for Architecture.
    If you like the technical science behind the structures of building look into Building Science, Structural Engineering or Surveying.
    If, like me, you want a bit of both look into Architectural Technology.

Not too early to apply for uni prospectuses. They will inform you about the course and its entry requirements.

Over the next couple of years TRY to get some work experience in a field related to building, even if its just a week shadowing. It all helps. Be persistent.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.