Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it ?

I wrote about The Rime of The Ancient Mariner in the first section and Birdsong, The Kite Runner and Robert Frost in the second section.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the questions we're really awkard. I ended up doing Rossetti for my section A, with Keytes, Gatsby and Kite Runner for section B on the conflicts question. Rossetti I found quite nice to write about, and the same was true for the Great Gatsby. There's LOADS of conflict. As for Kite Runner, I only really picked up on that between good and evil (how Hassan and Assef were polar opposites), Hazara's and Pashtuuns, and the conflicting change in Baba from when he's in Afghanistan and thriving to his decline in the US.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Auden questions were really nice. I was so happy Victor was the named poem, there was plenty to write about. The even numbered question was just as nice, also with plenty of things to discuss as well. Section B was a little harder but I chose to do the one about 'Time Setting' and talked about Enduring Love, The Great Gatsby and Browning Poetry.

ReputationRep:
    I answered the question on Enduring Love for section A and I picked the conflict question for section B, in which I wrote about The Kite Runner, Rossetti and Auden.

Section A was alright (chapter 1 of Enduring Love! Sweet! ) but section B wasn't as good. I hope I did good enough to get at least a B overall :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about Amir's internal conflict with guilt and the external conflicts such as the Soviet invasion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam to be quite easy
    I did The Road for section A (luckily revised for the same section yesterday)
    For section B I had Gatsby, Browning and Frost and I chose conflicts as Gatsby and Frost have plenty (Man vs nature) and Porphyria's lover (Conflict between the man and god and the man and the woman) and My Last duchess (Subtle conflict between the duke and the nameless guest)

ReputationRep:
    For section B I wrote about The Kite Runner, Birdsong and Frost and chose the time setting question. I was pleased that I had plenty to write about because the Frost question was horrible in section A. It referred to "tragedy" and we haven't studied tragedy this year, we studied comedy. Despite this a lot of people in my class chose the tragedy question and I think they have sacrificed some serious marks for it.

ReputationRep:
    I liked it more than I thought I would!
    I done Tennyson for section A and I done the conflict question for The Road, The Kite Runner and Browning poems Did anybody else do any of these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't as bad as I thought it might have been

I liked Section A more than Section B

I did Rossetti In Section A about painful conflicts between women and The Kite Runner, Keats & Pride & Prejudice in Section B about time & setting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyD)
    I answered the question on Enduring Love for section A and I picked the conflict question for section B, in which I wrote about The Kite Runner, Rossetti and Auden.

Section A was alright (chapter 1 of Enduring Love! Sweet! ) but section B wasn't as good. I hope I did good enough to get at least a B overall :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did the same texts as you for Section B. May I ask, what did you write about for Rossetti and Auden in terms of conflict?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MomtaajRahman)
    I did the same texts as you for Section B. May I ask, what did you write about for Rossetti and Auden in terms of conflict?
    Oh God that was so hard for Auden I did Miss Gee and wrote about her conflict with her own sexual desires, O What is that Sound and wrote about... It. And James Honeyman, writing about his conflict with the officials who dismissed his work. That was what lead to him giving his idea to the foreign power.

Rossetti I did Goblin Market and talked about the conflicts of each sister with the goblins, Sister Maude and talked about the conflict between the protagonist and Maude, and At the Round Tower, just talking about the conflict in it.

Basically I waffled for Section B and am dreading result's day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't mean to scrape but I waffled too! For Rossetti I talked about Cousin Kate and the conflict she has with her previous lover/the male gender as a whole, and also about The Convent Threshold and the conflict she faces in deciding whether to leave her lover or not

ReputationRep:
    I did Tennyson for Section A. Was very pissed at the choice of Lotos-Eaters as that featured only a few years back

Then I did Kite Runner, Gatsby and Browning for the conflict question on Section.

All of my friends seemed to think they did terrible/have definitely failed but I thought it went fairly ok. Especially compared to the worst case scenario you kind of build up before hand. Good luck everybody! And even if everyone has done badly that should mean low grade boundaries right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyD)
    Oh God that was so hard for Auden I did Miss Gee and wrote about her conflict with her own sexual desires, O What is that Sound and wrote about... It. And James Honeyman, writing about his conflict with the officials who dismissed his work. That was what lead to him giving his idea to the foreign power.

Rossetti I did Goblin Market and talked about the conflicts of each sister with the goblins, Sister Maude and talked about the conflict between the protagonist and Maude, and At the Round Tower, just talking about the conflict in it.

Basically I waffled for Section B and am dreading result's day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what you've written it all sounds pretty good! I started off Section B by stating that the meaning of conflict is fluid, that is, it may come in the form of wars (Auden) and it can also involve a bitter dispute between two lovers (Rossetti). I wrote about how Auden used conflict to encourage readers to stop being apathetic in 1st September 1939 and O What is that Sound etc.

For Rossetti I wrote about how she uses conflict to make women seem powerful in the end, particularly in Maude Clare and Cousin Kate.

And for the Kite Runner I wrote about the ethnic conflict between Pashtuns and Hazaras and therefore between Amir and Hassan. The Afghanistan conflict led to Amir and Baba fleeing to America where Amir met and married Soraya and also that the cyclical nature of the conflicts ultimately made Amir turn from a selfish boy to a selfless man. But I know I waffled .

Here's hoping the grade boundaries are low - for January 2013 you needed 46/84 for an A and the highest needed for an A was in June 2009 where you needed 55. Hmm ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjwalker)
    Don't mean to scrape but I waffled too! For Rossetti I talked about Cousin Kate and the conflict she has with her previous lover/the male gender as a whole, and also about The Convent Threshold and the conflict she faces in deciding whether to leave her lover or not
    I think most of us were prone to waffling, eek! Ooh I wrote about Cousin Kate too, but my main focus was on Maude Clare. I couldn't write about the Convent Threshold because I previously stated that Rossetti's use of conflict was to show female power and I find TCT to have rather orthodox christian views .. But anyhooo, I hope you've done well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyruth_13)
    I did Tennyson for Section A. Was very pissed at the choice of Lotos-Eaters as that featured only a few years back

Then I did Kite Runner, Gatsby and Browning for the conflict question on Section.

All of my friends seemed to think they did terrible/have definitely failed but I thought it went fairly ok. Especially compared to the worst case scenario you kind of build up before hand. Good luck everybody! And even if everyone has done badly that should mean low grade boundaries right ?
    What poems did you include for the second Tennyson question and what did you write for The Kite Runner and The Road in the conflict question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what you've written it all sounds pretty good! I started off Section B by stating that the meaning of conflict is fluid, that is, it may come in the form of wars (Auden) and it can also involve a bitter dispute between two lovers (Rossetti). I wrote about how Auden used conflict to encourage readers to stop being apathetic in 1st September 1939 and O What is that Sound etc.

For Rossetti I wrote about how she uses conflict to make women seem powerful in the end, particularly in Maude Clare and Cousin Kate.

And for the Kite Runner I wrote about the ethnic conflict between Pashtuns and Hazaras and therefore between Amir and Hassan. The Afghanistan conflict led to Amir and Baba fleeing to America where Amir met and married Soraya and also that the cyclical nature of the conflicts ultimately made Amir turn from a selfish boy to a selfless man. But I know I waffled .

Here's hoping the grade boundaries are low - for January 2013 you needed 46/84 for an A and the highest needed for an A was in June 2009 where you needed 55. Hmm ..
    I kinda..ish done the same for The Kite Runner

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooobie_)
    I kinda..ish done the same for The Kite Runner

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kinda..ish? What else did you write?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the time settings one? After doing Auden for Section A, I did Tennyson (distortion between day and night in 'Mariana', seasons in 'Tithonus'= his wish for mortality), Gatsby (prefiguring events through summer period and its end, contrast between ordered day and night) and Kite Runner (history of Afghanistan entwined with Hassan and Amir's relationship)... I felt terrible after

ReputationRep:
    I think most of us were prone to waffling, eek! Ooh I wrote about Cousin Kate too, but my main focus was on Maude Clare. I couldn't write about the Convent Threshold because I previously stated that Rossetti's use of conflict was to show female power and I find TCT to have rather orthodox christian views .. But anyhooo, I hope you've done well.
    Haha gah I did not do as well as I was capable of! But oooo well, hopefully I get a nice examiner, good luck to you too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.