Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there TSR,

I have recently took a crash course which means I have been driving every single day for a set amount of hours, so far from monday to now (friday) ive had 17 hours in lessons and my instructor said to me "You have perfected everything besides roundabouts and then your ready for the test". so basically I have another 13 hours of driving yet before my practical test date which is in June 3rd at 9:07am, my questions are:

Do you think im ready for the test?

what will actually occur in the test?

Will I get stuck in traffic for school runs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajanathanx)
    Hello there TSR,

I have recently took a crash course which means I have been driving every single day for a set amount of hours, so far from monday to now (friday) ive had 17 hours in lessons and my instructor said to me "You have perfected everything besides roundabouts and then your ready for the test". so basically I have another 13 hours of driving yet before my practical test date which is in June 3rd at 9:07am, my questions are:

Do you think im ready for the test?

what will actually occur in the test?

Will I get stuck in traffic for school runs?
    Personally I'd say that no you're not ready for your test.

Even if you can pick up the necessary skills to pass your test within a week, you will be nowhere near good enough at reading what's going on around you, judging what other drivers are going to do, and reacting to real world situations, to ensure that you're a good driver once you're in the car by yourself.

Even learners who have taken several months to pass haven't developed the right level of awareness while they are learning, as it's a skill which is largely picked up once you start driving by yourself, but they at least normally have a decent level of awareness, whereas you'll have none as you've learnt in such a short period of time.

If it were up to me intensive driving courses would be illegal, they get people through their test but don't produce safe drivers, which is disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I am a very safe driver and I take good care, I have been in a lot of scenarios while driving and know how to get around them, safely as possible, like I was approaching a roundabout and one car hit another and I had no choice but to miss that exit cause my route was blocked, I anticipated and planned well ahead... depends what type of learner you are.

ReputationRep:
    You may pass the test however I wouldn't say you are ready as such. As said, you won't have the experience from driving when you do your test compared to those who have taken longer and driven with their parents lots outside of lessons.

The example you gave is the very basic of what you need to be able to do, you avoided a crash simply because you had no where else to go isn't any where near the anticipation needed. You need to be able to predict what exit people are going to take on roundabouts from their road position and speed, otherwise you will find roundabouts hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajanathanx)
    To be fair I am a very safe driver and I take good care, I have been in a lot of scenarios while driving and know how to get around them, safely as possible, like I was approaching a roundabout and one car hit another and I had no choice but to miss that exit cause my route was blocked, I anticipated and planned well ahead... depends what type of learner you are.
    That's not what I mean, in that case you saw something happen and reacted to it.

What I'm on about is reading what is going on around you and anticipating things before they happen. Over time you learn to watch other drivers as much as their cars, because you can often tell what somebody is going to do by looking at them and spotting where they're looking, anticipating what other vehicles are going to do at junctions, seeing what the traffic ahead of you is doing and reacting early, positioning yourself so you can react to other motorists when you get closer to the holdup, etc...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.