Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is plain salad nice/can you train yourself to like salad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I have never had salad (well not as or with a meal) and I don't like the dressings so is salad nice without dressings? I am asking this because I need to eat healthier and feel like I need to eat salad, so yeah anyone got any advice or tips on salad?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Have you tried different types of salad, such as Greek, etc?

ReputationRep:
    I like adding small potatoes, boiled eggs or chicken breast.

ReputationRep:
    In general I hate salad dressings but recently discovered raspberry vinaigrette - 35calories per 2 tbsp and super delicious; probably worth giving a go as I find plain salad isn't really very exciting.

ReputationRep:
    'Salad dressings' encompasses a very broad range of things - what is it you don't like about the ones you've tried? Assuming you're just talking vinaigrette, is it that it's oily, or the vinegar? One good way of dressing salad leaves if you don't like ordinary salad dressing is just to squeeze over some lemon juice or orange juice.

I actually generally don't put dressing on salads - but my salads are made up of something more interesting than just lettuce, which on its own is dull as dishwater. Try different leaves (rocket, for example, has loads of peppery flavour), and then add other things to make your salad really interesting - I like really good tomatoes, for a start; and generally if I'm making a salad I'll include a little bit of some sort of lean protein (chicken, prawns, fish, steak, whatever). Think about textures (maybe add crunch with peppers, or a few nuts/seeds) and strong flavours. Fresh herbs can be a good way of adding flavour, too. And, the more different types of vegetables/fruit you put in, the healthier it'll be, because you're getting more variety in your diet. Just eating loads of plain lettuce would be neither interesting nor healthy.

For whole-meal salads, I'd suggest things like:

- Bear in mind that you can have salads that are wholly or partly warm, rather than just stuff straight out of the fridge. I quite often make a spiced chicken salad - I fry pieces of chicken in a teeny bit of olive oil along with loads of turmeric and cumin, and add some sultanas/chopped dates/dried apricots. Once it's cooked, I just chuck the whole lot onto a bed of salad leaves (watercress/spinach/rocket, that sort of thing) and drizzle it with some lemon juice or pomegranate molasses.
    - Something along the lines of salade Nicoise, where you include tomatoes, boiled egg, a few potatoes, cooked green beans, black olives, and either tuna or anchovies.
    - Fattoush, which is an amazing, sharp-sour Middle Eastern salad.
    - Look at recipe ideas from people like Nigella or Jamie Oliver or Yotam Ottolenghi - you can get loads of ideas for things you can try in your salads. The key is to add in things that have lots of flavour.
    - Also, if you don't particularly enjoy lettuce as salad, bear in mind that you can cook it (it sounds weird, but it's really nice).

Happy experimenting!

ReputationRep:
    You could always try making your own salad dressings too, it's really easy and you can make ones you like then too. Search about on the internet for ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Salads are great because you can experiment a lot. Try adding different things you like, and you might actually grow to like salad

ReputationRep:
    Find a food you like that can go in the salad, like cheese, eggs or chicken. Also, have you tried things like pesto?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.