The Student Room Group

AQA LTA1C Struggle for Modern Identity 17/05/13

I did the exam today and I thought the first question (Don Mullan article) was really hard....:frown:
I also did Feminine Gospels which was ok but bc I was stressed over Q1 I don't think I did so well in in Q2 *sad times*
How did everyone else find it???

Scroll to see replies

I did the exam today too. Found the section A really hard to link with some of my wider reading and quotes. Section B wasn't too bad on Duffy...just hope the grade boundaries will be lower!
Reply 2
Original post by Littlemissmae
I did the exam today too. Found the section A really hard to link with some of my wider reading and quotes. Section B wasn't too bad on Duffy...just hope the grade boundaries will be lower!

yeah I hope so too....None of my wider reading had anything similar to the extract and had completely different themes - I just hope I argued my points well enough. I was always scared about the first question though because there was always loads you had to talk about in 45 mins which is too short if you ask me, what with a type of struggle, then thoughts and feelings of the writer about that struggle, whilst finding sufficient quotes that back up points on form, structure and language and how that overall links to the struggle, not to mention do all that with 3 other wider reading texts!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:aaaaahhhhhh - just wanna cry....hardly did any of that stuff because my timings got messed up and so I got stressed.......and upset......oh......I hope I haven't stressed you out even more though! :colondollar:
I did this exam today too!:smile: i actually thought it was ok ( i had a really terrible classics exam this morning so this one made me happy!) the Duffy question on "the long queen" was one i said to my teacher i wanted last week so that went
Well i think! The wider reading was quite difficult but you can write about differences and not just similarities on your wider reading so i just mainly
Did that:smile: lots of people i spoke to after thought it was hard but we did some wider reading on Ireland and did context when we did our coursework which used a play based in Ireland so i still found it hard and i'm not sure i've done that good on it but i had some prior knowledge which helped.
I was really surprised because i used to have a problem with timing as i wrote too much but i decided to spend 15 minutes at the start planning the contextual linking and the Duffy question, then did the duffy first and contextual linking last-i have weird ways i know!:wink: but i wrote 11 pages in total:redface: no idea how i did that! I'm sure you'll have done ok on it as long as you backed everything up!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Did anyone do Angelou for part 2? I'm really worried that I went off topic.
The more I think about it the more I panic about what I wrote 😥😥😥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacwanda28
yeah I hope so too....None of my wider reading had anything similar to the extract and had completely different themes - I just hope I argued my points well enough. I was always scared about the first question though because there was always loads you had to talk about in 45 mins which is too short if you ask me, what with a type of struggle, then thoughts and feelings of the writer about that struggle, whilst finding sufficient quotes that back up points on form, structure and language and how that overall links to the struggle, not to mention do all that with 3 other wider reading texts!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:aaaaahhhhhh - just wanna cry....hardly did any of that stuff because my timings got messed up and so I got stressed.......and upset......oh......I hope I haven't stressed you out even more though! :colondollar:

I know I was the same...all the quotes I had for wider reading were impossible to compare with the extract! Haha its made me feel better that other people found it hard too! Hopefully the examiners will feel sorry for us!:wink:
Reply 6
Right If I mentioned in The Feminine Gospels 'The Woman Who Shopped' poem and wrote a few paragraphs but accidently put 'The Long Queen' (idiotic I know, must've been panicking) in the middle paragraph but referring to quotes in 'The Woman Who Shopped'

Will I get marked down or will the examiner cop on I actually meant 'The Woman Who Shopped?'
Reply 7
Original post by EllieS96
Right If I mentioned in The Feminine Gospels 'The Woman Who Shopped' poem and wrote a few paragraphs but accidently put 'The Long Queen' (idiotic I know, must've been panicking) in the middle paragraph but referring to quotes in 'The Woman Who Shopped'

Will I get marked down or will the examiner cop on I actually meant 'The Woman Who Shopped?'

I think they'll figure it out - but tbh I don't think they'll know, bc there's three or four collections for that exam, and so they may not have read all of those - they'll probably just mark how well you analysed quotes and things....I hope you did well anyways xD
Reply 8
Original post by Chloewright96
I did this exam today too!:smile: i actually thought it was ok ( i had a really terrible classics exam this morning so this one made me happy!) the Duffy question on "the long queen" was one i said to my teacher i wanted last week so that went
Well i think! The wider reading was quite difficult but you can write about differences and not just similarities on your wider reading so i just mainly
Did that:smile: lots of people i spoke to after thought it was hard but we did some wider reading on Ireland and did context when we did our coursework which used a play based in Ireland so i still found it hard and i'm not sure i've done that good on it but i had some prior knowledge which helped.
I was really surprised because i used to have a problem with timing as i wrote too much but i decided to spend 15 minutes at the start planning the contextual linking and the Duffy question, then did the duffy first and contextual linking last-i have weird ways i know!:wink: but i wrote 11 pages in total:redface: no idea how i did that! I'm sure you'll have done ok on it as long as you backed everything up!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

see you were soo smart to do Q2 first and then do Q1 - no one specified we had to do them in order!!! I wish I had done that....Q1 stressed me out so much that it may have affected my Q2. Now, I'm not even sure if I did differences as well as similarities.....oooh. What poems did you talk about for the Long Queen question? (I did the same one xD)
I decided because i like poetry better it would help chill me out a bit:smile: and i did "sub", "anon" and "the map woman":smile: what did you do?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I decided because i like poetry better it would help chill me out a bit:smile: and i did "sub", "anon" and "the map woman":smile: what did you do?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

so smart....wish I'd done that.....I think I did The Diet, Laughter of SGH, Virgin's Memo and White Writing....I think, but tbh I hated the exam so much, I'm kinda trying to forget all about it! And two hours wasn't enough, so once I started stressing it all just went by in a blur - I hope the examiner will be able to read my handwriting as well - I know it went all messy and scribbly when I got panicked about time....
I wish i'd done an extra poem instead of just 3 others but i'd written 5 pages so hopefully i've got enough in! I feel ok about the duffy question it's just the contextual linking that worries me a bit! Lot's of people found it hard because it's usually a speech or an autobiography extract and with it being the first year for the feminine gospels too! But it probably means the grade boundaries will be lower if it was considered to be a harder paper! And my writings terrible so i wouldn't worry about it! It was my second exam in that day so by the time i got to the last 10 minutes my hand was locking up and my writing looked like a child had done it! As long as they get the gist of what you're saying i think i'ts ok :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish i'd done an extra poem instead of just 3 others but i'd written 5 pages so hopefully i've got enough in! I feel ok about the duffy question it's just the contextual linking that worries me a bit! Lot's of people found it hard because it's usually a speech or an autobiography extract and with it being the first year for the feminine gospels too! But it probably means the grade boundaries will be lower if it was considered to be a harder paper! And my writings terrible so i wouldn't worry about it! It was my second exam in that day so by the time i got to the last 10 minutes my hand was locking up and my writing looked like a child had done it! As long as they get the gist of what you're saying i think i'ts ok :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

my handwriting was abysmal too - when I stress and rush what I'm writing, it literally becomes illegible - I hope the examiner can read it! I was expecting a speech / autobio too, so seeing that extract really threw me off. My English teacher, who's also a Media Studies teacher said that AQA is really annoying because they keep trying to trick the students out rather than help them, which is what they're supposed to do. I hope they put the boundaries lower....
One of the teachers that teaches english lit where i go is one of the top examiners or something and he knows the people who set the questions and the reason why they do ones that are not a speech or autobiography us apparently to probe a point that we should have learnt them, which we should because i suppose teachers who tell their students it would never be an article and so don't teach them are doing a super risky thing! I really hope they can read my answer! I keep thinking of points i could have put in because particularly for the Duffy question id just tried to learn the points i wrote in my mock where i got an A and have them as a template answer to fit around the question and i left a couple out which I'm regretting a bit! But i cant do anything about it now i just hope i wrote things that were actually appropriate and relevant for the contextual linking! What wider reading did you link it too?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the teachers that teaches english lit where i go is one of the top examiners or something and he knows the people who set the questions and the reason why they do ones that are not a speech or autobiography us apparently to probe a point that we should have learnt them, which we should because i suppose teachers who tell their students it would never be an article and so don't teach them are doing a super risky thing! I really hope they can read my answer! I keep thinking of points i could have put in because particularly for the Duffy question id just tried to learn the points i wrote in my mock where i got an A and have them as a template answer to fit around the question and i left a couple out which I'm regretting a bit! But i cant do anything about it now i just hope i wrote things that were actually appropriate and relevant for the contextual linking! What wider reading did you link it too?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I linked it to this Emily Dickinson poem I read in my own time (quite risky :s-smilie:) called I am Nobody, a play called Top Girls and a book called Snow Falling on Cedars. I don't think I talked about comparisons though, which is really annoying me....I'm just trying not to think about the exam too much outside of TSR because I know I'll just break down in tears, or something :redface:. I really hope I did well...What WR did you do?
Ahh:smile: i linked to "a streetcar named desire" , "oranges are not the only fruit" as my drama and prose and for differences and then i did "ku klux" by langston hughes and "the fat black woman goes shopping" by grace nichols. I had them as similarities though because one used integrated conversation and the other uses dialect so i used that for when in the article there was speech examples:L i'm going to speak with my teachers today though because i dont think thats a good enough point:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh:smile: i linked to "a streetcar named desire" , "oranges are not the only fruit" as my drama and prose and for differences and then i did "ku klux" by langston hughes and "the fat black woman goes shopping" by grace nichols. I had them as similarities though because one used integrated conversation and the other uses dialect so i used that for when in the article there was speech examples:L i'm going to speak with my teachers today though because i dont think thats a good enough point:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

it sounds good to me - not something I had considered!
Reply 17
Original post by lilacwanda28
I think they'll figure it out - but tbh I don't think they'll know, bc there's three or four collections for that exam, and so they may not have read all of those - they'll probably just mark how well you analysed quotes and things....I hope you did well anyways xD

I hope you do well too :-) 1 day to go!
Hope everyone gets what they want! Im nervous but at the same time just want to know what ive got! Good luck!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone do on this exam? It seems almost everyone at my school got marks much lower than they should have!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending