Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I might have flopped the English Exam! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So for English Lit B, I was on Section B where you're supposed to write about three texts (minimum).
    I was already pretty stressed out and ended up writing about 2 poetry pieces and The Road which I now know (after extensive research) was supposed to be a backup on Section A.
    So technically I wrote about 2 poetry texts and I just feel like crying myself to sleep right now...any advice/opinions would be appreciated :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    It'll take time, but you just have to get over it, I know it sounds pretty generic, but don't stress out too much, I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawaiians)
    So for English Lit B, I was on Section B where you're supposed to write about three texts (minimum).
    I was already pretty stressed out and ended up writing about 2 poetry pieces and The Road which I now know (after extensive research) was supposed to be a backup on Section A.
    So technically I wrote about 2 poetry texts and I just feel like crying myself to sleep right now...any advice/opinions would be appreciated :cry2:
    you're not the only one :cry: - I did Lit A and the first text completely threw me off and then timings were off because I was stuck and my plan helped not at all and I'm crying on the inside too:cry2: - you're not the only one hunny :console:

ReputationRep:
    Surely it would simply restrict the level u can get on the mark scheme. It should not result in such a low mark that u would get a bad grade, I think they would only penalise u slightly. Its about overall quality, not a checklist of things to put in.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    you're not the only one :cry: - I did Lit A and the first text completely threw me off and then timings were off because I was stuck and my plan helped not at all and I'm crying on the inside too:cry2: - you're not the only one hunny :console:
    Sorry this is so off topic but what unit do you do for spec A? I do the struggle for identity in modern literature and want even a little reassurance because my timing was all wrong :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfasarah)
    Sorry this is so off topic but what unit do you do for spec A? I do the struggle for identity in modern literature and want even a little reassurance because my timing was all wrong :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah I did as well - how did you find it? I thought the extract was so horrible I hated it!!! I hadn't prepped for Irish context or something in a newspaper article.....urgh and then because I was stressed about that I was stressed when I did Q2.....just not a good day...:cry:

ReputationRep:
    ****ed mine up too Forgot to write about language and imagery

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I did the same! I did two texts rather than 3 and on the same poet too! D:

I flopped that section. I hope you feel better!

It's not the end of the world. If worse comes to worse, maybe your coursework will get your grade up!

Hoping you for the best! XD

ReputationRep:
    yeah I did as well - how did you find it? I thought the extract was so horrible I hated it!!! I hadn't prepped for Irish context or something in a newspaper article.....urgh and then because I was stressed about that I was stressed when I did Q2.....just not a good day...:cry:
    I had four exams today and by the time I got to English I just wanted to leave the exam hall, eat and sleep. I'm so sure I messed up the first question, thinking back now I can't even remember what I wrote about! How did you structure yours? If you were disheartened that much you should've done part 2 first to maybe get your spirits up for part 1. Not to worry though, coursework plays a massive role in your AS grade; so if you did well in coursework you'll do well overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had four exams today and by the time I got to English I just wanted to leave the exam hall, eat and sleep. I'm so sure I messed up the first question, thinking back now I can't even remember what I wrote about! How did you structure yours? If you were disheartened that much you should've done part 2 first to maybe get your spirits up for part 1. Not to worry though, coursework plays a massive role in your AS grade; so if you did well in coursework you'll do well overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    looking back now, I really wish I'd done Q2 first: I would've felt a lot better then doing Q1. MY GOD - 4 EXAMS?!?!?! You poor thing - how did they all go?
    I think I did form of extract, form of wider reading, structure of extract, structure of WR, language of extract and then language of WR. (or at least that's what I tried to do....)
    the only annoying thing about coursework is that ours is being moderated now and I'm not sure what grades I ended up on. (I like knowing roughly what grades I got so that I can determine what I need when I go into the exam) but I didn't have that today, which was highly annoying for me.....how did you do in your coursework?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PreppyNinja)
    Aw, I did the same! I did two texts rather than 3 and on the same poet too! D:

I flopped that section. I hope you feel better!

It's not the end of the world. If worse comes to worse, maybe your coursework will get your grade up!

Hoping you for the best! XD
    thanks - you too!
    (I don't think doing the same author will go against you that much though - I guess it all depends on the quality still - I rushed to get the third one in but bc I was stressed and rushing - it's definitely not as good as I wanted it to be......)
    I hope you did well too! good luck in the rest of your exams xD

ReputationRep:
    looking back now, I really wish I'd done Q2 first: I would've felt a lot better then doing Q1. MY GOD - 4 EXAMS?!?!?! You poor thing - how did they all go?
    I think I did form of extract, form of wider reading, structure of extract, structure of WR, language of extract and then language of WR. (or at least that's what I tried to do....)
    the only annoying thing about coursework is that ours is being moderated now and I'm not sure what grades I ended up on. (I like knowing roughly what grades I got so that I can determine what I need when I go into the exam) but I didn't have that today, which was highly annoying for me.....how did you do in your coursework?
    Oh well, I'm sure you did well anyway, it sounds like you had the right plan. I didn't know what to write about for structure and got stuck for a bit then I just did repetition and linked it to WR briefly. Most of them were fine, the morning ones significantly better than the two afternoon ones. But hey, at least now I'm done with most of my AS exams! We were told to not rely on our coursework grade that we have now anyway because the boundaries change and moderation may bring them down, we just knew whether our coursework was "good", "average" or "bad". Mine was pretty good, luckily. Who do you study for poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks - you too!
    (I don't think doing the same author will go against you that much though - I guess it all depends on the quality still - I rushed to get the third one in but bc I was stressed and rushing - it's definitely not as good as I wanted it to be......)
    I hope you did well too! good luck in the rest of your exams xD
    But they specified explicitly that we had to do 3 texts. That's what I am worried about tbh.

I hope that the rest of the quality was good enough!

Thanks! And you too! XD

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, I'm sure you did well anyway, it sounds like you had the right plan. I didn't know what to write about for structure and got stuck for a bit then I just did repetition and linked it to WR briefly. Most of them were fine, the morning ones significantly better than the two afternoon ones. But hey, at least now I'm done with most of my AS exams! We were told to not rely on our coursework grade that we have now anyway because the boundaries change and moderation may bring them down, we just knew whether our coursework was "good", "average" or "bad". Mine was pretty good, luckily. Who do you study for poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    we did Carol Ann Duffy's Feminine Gospels - that question I thought was a lot better bc I liked both questions, so I did the one that I thought less people would do, which, when talking to my friends, nobody did so my planned work there lol xD I guess I'm just hoping that coursework and Q2 will bring me a good grade....I really don't want to retake......Who were you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PreppyNinja)
    But they specified explicitly that we had to do 3 texts. That's what I am worried about tbh.

I hope that the rest of the quality was good enough!

Thanks! And you too! XD
    I don't think you'll get too bad a grade though if the rest of it is good
    They should understand that 2hrs is just not enough for this exam. I'd say at least 3 hours would be better for this paper....

ReputationRep:
    I did The Pied Piper of Hamelin for section A (3rd time - AQA, really?!) and then the time setting question for Section B, where I wrote about Gatsby, Kite Runner and The Lady of Shalott.
    I totally panicked though, as I had 50 minutes for Section B and thought the questions were atrocious, anyway. You're not alone on thinking you flopped!
    Luckily, your coursework should bump your grade up (That's what I'm hoping :'))

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.