Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the AQA AS Spanish exam next Thursday. I'm doing alright in the reading, listening and grammar, but as soon as I get to the essay I flop and get about 20 out of 35 (which is a D) anyone got any bright ideas on how to improve this? Preferably an essay structure I can use?

ReputationRep:
    The majority of marks of for content and to get a high band for this area you need lots of different points (and opinions) which are relevant to the question asked.

I would suggest writing out a list of content points on the pros and cons of each topic as this is generally how you can form a top grade answer.

Eg, some questions in the past have been about the good and bad points of advertising, marriage and tv.

It would also be helpful to go on the aqa website as they have examiner reports on all of the essay questions as well as example essays and marking justifications.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nkishkash)
    The majority of marks of for content and to get a high band for this area you need lots of different points (and opinions) which are relevant to the question asked.

I would suggest writing out a list of content points on the pros and cons of each topic as this is generally how you can form a top grade answer.

Eg, some questions in the past have been about the good and bad points of advertising, marriage and tv.

It would also be helpful to go on the aqa website as they have examiner reports on all of the essay questions as well as example essays and marking justifications.

Good Luck
    thank you xD

ReputationRep:
    My teacher told us a structure that works well when writing Spanish essays. If you remember this structure and practice some timed essays before the exam, then you should be fine.

1) Start with your introduction... talk about what the question is asking, and how you are going to answer it. You could invite the reader in by adding rhetorical questions or linking directly to society nowadays. It's a good point in the essay to explain the situation we are living in at the moment. There should also be a punchy opening statement to grab the reader's attention.

2) Next, the main body of the essay. Could possibly be around 4-6 paragraphs. For each paragraph (you may want to do a few paragraphs in favour of the statement, and a few paragraphs against the statement) you should state a relevant point, evidence for this point, your own personal reaction (e.g. 'me preocupa el hecho que...' or 'es una lastima que...' etc.) and finally evaluate your point and link it back to the question.

3) Finally, your conclusion. This should summarise your points, without adding any new ones. You should include: how you have answered the question, your overall opinion on the matter, and a punchy ending! Apparently, using rhetorical questions and these statements relating to our society can get you lots of marks.

Remember; you get marked on your content, vocabulary, structure and accuracy. Try to include a range of vocabulary, and make sure you practice grammar to sustain your accuracy throughout the essay.

Try not to get too worried about the exam. At the end of the day, you are trying your best with a new language and that has skill in itself. I'm sure you will do great! Is your exam 23rd May? Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph1712)
    My teacher told us a structure that works well when writing Spanish essays. If you remember this structure and practice some timed essays before the exam, then you should be fine.

1) Start with your introduction... talk about what the question is asking, and how you are going to answer it. You could invite the reader in by adding rhetorical questions or linking directly to society nowadays. It's a good point in the essay to explain the situation we are living in at the moment. There should also be a punchy opening statement to grab the reader's attention.

2) Next, the main body of the essay. Could possibly be around 4-6 paragraphs. For each paragraph (you may want to do a few paragraphs in favour of the statement, and a few paragraphs against the statement) you should state a relevant point, evidence for this point, your own personal reaction (e.g. 'me preocupa el hecho que...' or 'es una lastima que...' etc.) and finally evaluate your point and link it back to the question.

3) Finally, your conclusion. This should summarise your points, without adding any new ones. You should include: how you have answered the question, your overall opinion on the matter, and a punchy ending! Apparently, using rhetorical questions and these statements relating to our society can get you lots of marks.

Remember; you get marked on your content, vocabulary, structure and accuracy. Try to include a range of vocabulary, and make sure you practice grammar to sustain your accuracy throughout the essay.

Try not to get too worried about the exam. At the end of the day, you are trying your best with a new language and that has skill in itself. I'm sure you will do great! Is your exam 23rd May? Good luck!
    thank you soo much - this is a great plan! What kind of rhetorical questions should I ask? Yep - the exam is 3 days away.... Am so worried because I don't even know how I did in the oral, and all the practice essays I do keep getting Cs and Ds (I really want an A!) At least my grammar is getting better...but thanks again soo much!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas about which essay topics will come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennnnnnnnnnnnnn)
    Anyone got any ideas about which essay topics will come up?
    I think a sports one, maybe one about phones and another about friends - my guess xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    I'm doing the AQA AS Spanish exam next Thursday. I'm doing alright in the reading, listening and grammar, but as soon as I get to the essay I flop and get about 20 out of 35 (which is a D) anyone got any bright ideas on how to improve this? Preferably an essay structure I can use?
    -Plan your essay before you write!
    - Use loads of tenses
    -Apply useful and relevant vocabulary
    -Opinions
    -Be accurate - We have been studying Spanish for 6 years now, verb conjugations (present, preterite, imperfect, future and conditional) should ALL be 100% accurate; there is some leeway with subjunctive. thank god

Suerte!!!

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really not sure about this exam! Some of the reading questions were not nice...like the synonym exercise! I normally do not spend very long on the listening section of the paper though this time I was continuously second guessing myself! :L What else did people think of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spanish1908)
    Really not sure about this exam! Some of the reading questions were not nice...like the synonym exercise! I normally do not spend very long on the listening section of the paper though this time I was continuously second guessing myself! :L What else did people think of it?
    My worst part is always the essay, so I spent about half the time planning and writing that. Then I did reading and grammar - the synonym exercise was horrible! Did you put comida or hogar for the huevos fritos, patatas fritas teflon one? I put comida, but now I'd say it's more home! which is soooo annoying! Then I did listening, which was ok - I hope I got all the numbers right - but they were all quite tough! I hope I've pulled through - I really want an A? Which essay question did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blashnet)
    -Plan your essay before you write!
    - Use loads of tenses
    -Apply useful and relevant vocabulary
    -Opinions
    -Be accurate - We have been studying Spanish for 6 years now, verb conjugations (present, preterite, imperfect, future and conditional) should ALL be 100% accurate; there is some leeway with subjunctive. thank god

Suerte!!!
    thanks! I tried to inlcude as many different tenses as I could, and thankfully I included at least one example of each - I just hope that I did it accurately! I'm not sure if I used many opinions, now, come to think about it....I think I really just stated facts and things......ooh bummer - my question even said 'en tu opinion...' oh for gods sake.....urgh...hate those essays.... Did you do the exam?

ReputationRep:
    My worst part is always the essay, so I spent about half the time planning and writing that. Then I did reading and grammar - the synonym exercise was horrible! Did you put comida or hogar for the huevos fritos, patatas fritas teflon one? I put comida, but now I'd say it's more home! which is soooo annoying! Then I did listening, which was ok - I hope I got all the numbers right - but they were all quite tough! I hope I've pulled through - I really want an A? Which essay question did you do?
    I picked Hogar! I just thought it was more appropriate :L I picked the essay on diet, it wasn't too bad but I just hope my accuracy doesn't drop and that my points are all relevant!

ReputationRep:
    I picked Hogar! I just thought it was more appropriate :L I picked the essay on diet, it wasn't too bad but I just hope my accuracy doesn't drop and that my points are all relevant!
    I will need that point I bet you...so annoying...
    I did the one on family because I thought there were more points you could include. I tried to have around 5 subjunctive, 5 future and 5 conditional, and then like 2 past and possible a gerund in there just so that I have a 'range' of tenses and content hopefully. I'm just worried that I've got endings wrong, or misspelt things so that they can't give me high marks bc I haven't done well in the basic gramma and things....
    what other questions did you find hard?

ReputationRep:
    I will need that point I bet you...so annoying...
    I did the one on family because I thought there were more points you could include. I tried to have around 5 subjunctive, 5 future and 5 conditional, and then like 2 past and possible a gerund in there just so that I have a 'range' of tenses and content hopefully. I'm just worried that I've got endings wrong, or misspelt things so that they can't give me high marks bc I haven't done well in the basic gramma and things....
    what other questions did you find hard?
    I was relatively happy with my essay so I am hoping that it is okay! Ummm I wasn't too keen on the Harry Potter question just because numbers aren't my strongest area but I am fairly happy with what I put! I found the synonym question and the reading that involved putting the right letters in the correct boxes for the guy talking about drugs harder! You?

ReputationRep:
    thanks! I tried to inlcude as many different tenses as I could, and thankfully I included at least one example of each - I just hope that I did it accurately! I'm not sure if I used many opinions, now, come to think about it....I think I really just stated facts and things......ooh bummer - my question even said 'en tu opinion...' oh for gods sake.....urgh...hate those essays.... Did you do the exam?
    I did the WJEC one :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I was relatively happy with my essay so I am hoping that it is okay! Ummm I wasn't too keen on the Harry Potter question just because numbers aren't my strongest area but I am fairly happy with what I put! I found the synonym question and the reading that involved putting the right letters in the correct boxes for the guy talking about drugs harder! You?
    I thought the Harry Potter question was ok, only bc our teacher made us do loads of number revision as a starter to each lesson - still get confused with 60 and 70 still.....The synonym was definitely the hardest for me as I hadn't even seen the words they wanted us to find synonyms for! The gap fill about the drug dealer guy was at least a bit better because you could infer things from prepositions and structures - the synonyms, you kind of have to know the words....anxious for that part......

ReputationRep:
    I did the WJEC one :mad:
    oh okay - how did that go?

ReputationRep:
    oh okay - how did that go?
    not great :p:(

ReputationRep:
    not great :p:(
    oh I'm sure you did fine - loads of talk about how hard the paper was - maybe the grade boundaries will be lower xD

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.