Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you define free will personally? watch

• View Poll Results: How do you define free will?
    Libertarian definition-freedom to have chosen otherwise
    70.00%
    Compatabilist definition-freedom to act upon your desires
    10.00%
    I reject free will entirely
    20.00%
    Other
    0%

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of different views on what 'free will' means, but I was wondering what you personally defined it as. Personally I'm a fan of the libertarian definition.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite one goes something along the lines of

"Consider the universe in the exact state it was when you made a recent decision. Free will would be the ability to have made a different decision to the one you did."

Edit: just realised that this is the Libertarian definition in your poll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie092)
    My favourite one goes something along the lines of

"Consider the universe in the exact state it was when you made a recent decision. Free will would be the ability to have made a different decision to the one you did."

Edit: just realised that this is the Libertarian definition in your poll
    Indeed. Libertarian free will for the win!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    After my definition free will is to make your own thoughts about things, events and problems in the world, apart from opponent's opinions. Free will doesn't accept influences in the building of the mind and is trying to get an own view all the time. A true free will would not follow any propagandism. A free will is sophisticated enough to realize propagandism.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The freedom to have chosen otherwise. There is no 'freedom' in the compatibilist definition - you do not choose your desires.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.