Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have written in my notes something about a "chloride shift". It's messy and not very well done. All I know is that it has something to do with pH and blood.

Can someone please explain chloride shift to me? :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyD)
    I have written in my notes something about a "chloride shift". It's messy and not very well done. All I know is that it has something to do with pH and blood.

Can someone please explain chloride shift to me? :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Memory may be a bit rusty.

But basically CO2 enters a red blood cell.
    Combines with H2O and we get carbonic acid H2CO3.
    Carbonic acid dissociates into hydrogencarbonate, HCO3- and hydrogen H+ ions.
    Hydrogencarbonate ions then diffuse out of the red blood cells into the blood plasma.
    Chloride ions therefore go into the red blood cells to maintain charge (otherwise blood cells would be positively charged...).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.