The Student Room Group

When should I start thinking about university?

I'm in the middle of my May AS exams now, I'm not sure when is the right time to think about uni's. Is it too early? I don't really want to choose right now as I'm not sure of my ability. I get mostly A's but then I might end up choosing a uni with a high grade requirement which I can't meet. Should I just be researching what degree I want to do at the moment? As I'm unsure of that too.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I wouldn't worry about it right now. It's important that you focus on your exams rather than fussing over university. Over the summer when you don't have college, exams, coursework etc to worry about is a good time to start thinking.
Original post by Magenta96
I'm in the middle of my May AS exams now, I'm not sure when is the right time to think about uni's. Is it too early? I don't really want to choose right now as I'm not sure of my ability. I get mostly A's but then I might end up choosing a uni with a high grade requirement which I can't meet. Should I just be researching what degree I want to do at the moment? As I'm unsure of that too.

Zottula is right, you need to focus on your exams, they are top priority.

However, thinking about your future can also give you drive to do well, if you have goals that you are specifically working towards. Not only that but some universities only have open days over the summer months from June - September. I know last year one of my choices had an open day in June and one in September, and by the time I'd decided they were my choice I'd missed them both (luckily I got an interview there, so got to see it anyway).

If you do choose to start looking, just start making casual notes in your mind, don't put a lot effort or stress on yourself to the detriment of your exams.
Reply 3
Original post by Magenta96

After half term the universities will start their open days in earnest

Start to think seriously then
You dont need to panic quite yet. Your initial UCAS application (unless you are applying for Oxford/Cambridge or for Medicine) doesnt have to be finalised until mid-January 2014.

That gives you heaps of time! Lots of people think they have to get their application in as soon as the new cycle opens in October - you dont. You will have exactly the same chance of an Offer whenever you apply up to the Jan deadline. And people who apply in a rushed panic that early tend to make 'wrong' choices they later regret and are often difficult to successfully unpick.

Go to as many Open Days as you can at a very wide variety of Unis - even if you arent sure what subject or where you might apply. There are lots coming up in June/July and in September (look at Uni's own websites for details). These will help you to start the 'thinking process'. There is lots and lots of time for all this - so dont panic, get the AS revision/exams right, and think about all this once you've got that bit out of the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending