Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking around for a good laptop, and yes Macs look amazing but they come with a price tag. Ideally, i want something that would last 3 years or longer (the whole of my course), something that would be light, have decent battery and a good build. I am no heavy gamer but I do log a few hours here and there - so something that could cope would be good.

Price Range: £600 - £800

And i'd really prefer if the machine did NOT have a touch screen.

Any tips much appreciated

--- I would love to do some music mixing and video editing but nothing major ---

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for a mac. It's only £200 more than your budget and will last for years. It will be perfect for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N_young)
    I have been looking around for a good laptop, and yes Macs look amazing but they come with a price tag. Ideally, i want something that would last 3 years or longer (the whole of my course), something that would be light, have decent battery and a good build. I am no heavy gamer but I do log a few hours here and there - so something that could cope would be good.

--- I would love to do some music mixing and video editing but nothing major ---
    Hey, I just got one for going to uni about a month ago. It's a Samsung and it's been really good so far. I went to PC World and the staff were really helpful there. Basically they asked me what degree I was going to be doing and I'm doing English, and they asked me a wee bit about what sorta stuff I'd be using it for. I'll obviously be doing a lot of essay writing so they got me a good Word package on discount, for listening to music, storing photos, Skype, Facebook and Twitter etc, and they recommended if you're going to be storing a lot you should get something with a higher core processor as it'll run faster and you can open more tabs and still have them run quickly. I also got a laptop with a disc drive rather than a netbook without one as if I want to watch films while I'm away from home then I can. For the sort of stuff I'm going to be using it for they said there was no point in getting one beyond £400-£500 as it'd be a bit of a waste of the technology. If you're going to be doing a degree that's related to graphics, game design, anything like that then you're better to get something more expensive with a lot of storage space and more facilities. So, consider exactly what you'll need it for and I'd recommend going to PC World or somewhere like that and just telling them what you need it for and they can make suggestions for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda124)
    Hey, I just got one for going to uni about a month ago. It's a Samsung and it's been really good so far. I went to PC World and the staff were really helpful there. Basically they asked me what degree I was going to be doing and I'm doing English, and they asked me a wee bit about what sorta stuff I'd be using it for. I'll obviously be doing a lot of essay writing so they got me a good Word package on discount, for listening to music, storing photos, Skype, Facebook and Twitter etc, and they recommended if you're going to be storing a lot you should get something with a higher core processor as it'll run faster and you can open more tabs and still have them run quickly. I also got a laptop with a disc drive rather than a netbook without one as if I want to watch films while I'm away from home then I can. For the sort of stuff I'm going to be using it for they said there was no point in getting one beyond £400-£500 as it'd be a bit of a waste of the technology. If you're going to be doing a degree that's related to graphics, game design, anything like that then you're better to get something more expensive with a lot of storage space and more facilities. So, consider exactly what you'll need it for and I'd recommend going to PC World or somewhere like that and just telling them what you need it for and they can make suggestions for you.
    I work for PCWorld. Always nice to hear that other staff do a good job

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for a mac... they hardly support any games and are really expensive for the crappy hardware you actually get.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but do NOT under any circumstances buy an Acer laptop. The hard drive on mine has had to be replaced twice in two years (thank God for John Lewis and their long guarantees!) and I hate it. I'm looking to replace mine for a Samsung, they're really reliable.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go with Lenovo Y500 or Y580

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    I work for PCWorld. Always nice to hear that other staff do a good job
    Haha well there you are, they were great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as you, can't decide what to get, every time I think I want a mac I realise how expensive they are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I have received a Asus X55C through my DSA for my Software Engineering degree, and it is great. They cost around £400. I bought myself a easy riser, keyboard and a mouse too and I'm more than happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a little unusual for me to say this, but I'm in agreement with the others. Go for a Macbook Air.

You won't be able to get any serious gaming done on it, but the build quality and ultra-portability is second to none. It'd be hitting the top end of your budget if you use the student discount but I'd say it's worth it.

A Macbook Air will grant you the longevity you're looking for and is almost certain to run smoothly for yonks. Provided you're not looking to play Crisis, it's the perfect machine for your use.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of macbooks (it ruined my presentation one time ), they have compatibility issues but it seems that it is the ideal laptop for students in general. If you can afford it, go for it but I'm not recommending it as there are laptops you can buy which are cheaper and do just a good job as a mac.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wouldn't buy a Mac as they are a bit too pricey. I also have software which only runs on Windows. MacBook Air doesn't even have a CD drive (You have to purchase one and plug it in) - not sure if you want a computer with a CD drive? I'd go into a PC World store and ask them - they've usually been really helpful in advising on the best laptop for your specific needs.,

ReputationRep:
    It's just a suggestion, but what about the PowerBook G4. It will set you back around £100 - £200 on Ebay and for me its worked really well despite being quite old now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKGB)
    I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but do NOT under any circumstances buy an Acer laptop. The hard drive on mine has had to be replaced twice in two years (thank God for John Lewis and their long guarantees!) and I hate it. I'm looking to replace mine for a Samsung, they're really reliable.
    Hm, I've had my acer for 5-6 years and replaced the hard drive just a few months ago. I have had major problems with the battery life on mine though. It only seems to last for 20 mins and has been like that for a few years , not sure if this is the case with other acer laptops. I probably will replace mine as well for uni.

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo is known as the most well-built brand out there, for PCs.

Obviously macs are good, but overpriced.. if you want a solid performer which isn't a multimedia laptop with a huge screen etc, I'd recommend Lenovo. But there's such a huge range, you'd be best looking at every brand

ReputationRep:

I need more details bro....

what do you mean by light, 2.5kg, etc?
    decent battery life, 4 hours, 5 hours or, etc?

What kind of games are we talking about, what do you expect from performance?

what kind of video editing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    I wouldn't buy a Mac as they are a bit too pricey. I also have software which only runs on Windows. MacBook Air doesn't even have a CD drive (You have to purchase one and plug it in) - not sure if you want a computer with a CD drive? I'd go into a PC World store and ask them - they've usually been really helpful in advising on the best laptop for your specific needs.,
    FLol. PCWorld experts in computers.

Get a Mac! If you're a student you can get 14% off so this makes even the MacBook Pro affordable. You wont regret it, decent battery life, better OS, it'll still run MS Office and you don't have to put up with Windows 8!

I got a Sony Vaio in the first year of Uni, ended up getting a MacBook Pro a year later due to it falling apart, haven't look back. Easy for people who have never owned/used a MacBook to get a cheaper Windows laptop.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by EmirK0)
    FLol. PCWorld experts in computers.

Get a Mac! If you're a student you can get 14% off so this makes even the MacBook Pro affordable. You wont regret it, decent battery life, better OS, it'll still run MS Office and you don't have to put up with Windows 8!

I got a Sony Vaio in the first year of Uni, ended up getting a MacBook Pro a year later due to it falling apart, haven't look back. Easy for people who have never owned/used a MacBook to get a cheaper Windows laptop.

My local PC World are quire knowledgeable about their laptop range and have always given good advise, so yes, I would recommend them.

My Sony Vaio is 5 years old, has suffered considerable damage from water spills etc., is running every day for most of the day and still doing well. I've never had a computer run so well for so long, so I'd recommend Sony Vaio to anyone. I guess it's just the luck of the draw sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vdoto)
    Hm, I've had my acer for 5-6 years and replaced the hard drive just a few months ago. I have had major problems with the battery life on mine though. It only seems to last for 20 mins and has been like that for a few years , not sure if this is the case with other acer laptops. I probably will replace mine as well for uni.
    Yeah I have problems with the battery on mine as well, it won't charge and is constantly stuck on 4% so I have to keep it plugged in. I tried letting it drain and then charging it but it only went up to 4% again, oh and the part where the speakers are is coming apart :rolleyes:. It's so weird, I've never damaged it and I don't really use it outside my home but it's still falling apart. Maybe I've just got a rubbish model.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.