Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad to take a part time job, when you don't need to Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I'm 18 and studying A levels. I am thinking of taking a part time job of 10 hours a week, but I really don't have to do this as my parents are happy enough (and wealthy enough) to pay for everything for me (e.g. car, music lessons, trips, food etc).
    So my question is, is it selfish of me to take the job, when there are 2 million people unemployed who really need a job just to survive, when I don't need the money?

Thanks guys

p.s I only want to work because I feel guilty about my parents paying for everything.

ReputationRep:
    no, you clearly have at least some reason to want it and if you are capable of getting the job offer it is perfectly reasonable for you to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    Hi,

So I'm 18 and studying A levels. I am thinking of taking a part time job of 10 hours a week, but I really don't have to do this as my parents are happy enough (and wealthy enough) to pay for everything for me (e.g. car, music lessons, trips, food etc).
    So my question is, is it selfish of me to take the job, when there are 2 million people unemployed who really need a job just to survive, when I don't need the money?

Thanks guys

p.s I only want to work because I feel guilty about my parents paying for everything.
    When you put it like that I guess it could sound selfish but I wouldn't worry about it, if you get offered a job just take it and earn some experience for when you do need a job, though have you actually been offered a job anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was selfish. It is important to get work experience and it is best to do this when you're young. You'll have a much harder time trying to get a job in a couple of years if you don't have any work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, we all at some point are going to need to work and having experience in a working environmental will make you more employable in future. It will also teach you to be more independent and learn how to earn, manage and budget money you're earning for when you move out in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. You want to work so you got a job. In the future it will give you valuable experience, especially because you are studying it shows you have good time management.

I don't really need to work either with the amount I get from student loans but I get bored without something extra to do.

Having an extra job (well, two at the moment for me) means I can save for my future as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    get a job.Be a man.

ReputationRep:
    On my homepage your thread is above the "I'm sick and tired of looking for ***king jobs", seemed fitting

absolutely not. People who need jobs will be looking for Full time work anyway (although any work would be helpful for those who need it I guess), I completely understand the "I don't want my parents paying for everything" mentality as I've pretty much paid for everything I have since last summer.

I will say that 10 hours a week whilst doing A levels is quite alot, make sure you can cope with it or one of them will start slipping

ReputationRep:
    Feel bad? No. Get it, you've got the same chance as others. I wouldn't feel bad

ReputationRep:
    I averaged 20 hours a week at a restaurant when I was at college, 34 hours when the restaurant just opening (management couldn't judge the level of demand). I think it's fine. Free market is all about taking what you can get and if you can get a job over people who 'need' it, then obviously there is something wrong in their approach.

Looking at that unemployed student thread, there are often great flaws in students who apply for jobs and they don't sell themselves well enough. If there were 100 retail/hospitality outlets, I'm pretty sure I could get at least 5 of them to offer me some kind of part time work. Heck, I've just come back from uni to revise, saw a job advert, phoned up the bar, submitted a CV, the next day got offered the job after a brief chat. Start on the 30th.

Really isn't that hard. All it takes is a striking first impression, willingness to speak up and be counted and the ability to persuade (so a business on paper might not need someone, but all you need to do is say 'I'm just looking for a casual summer contract to meet the needs of the business").

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    Hi,

Thanks guys

Well, you P.S. has let me to know that atleast you feel guilty as you are not capable for earning your money and spending it on your own way, definitely you should go for a part time job and start earning small amounts and get lessons from your daddy about managing it efficiently to make more from little.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I've been working on and off since I was 13, and I never really needed to, I just wanted to because I like working and earning my own money. I think I feel better when I work and earn money myself, especially being an adult now, rather than always relying on handouts from my parents. Everything is relative so why bother feeling bad, when there's probably gonna always be someone richer than you who still chooses to be in employment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    Hi,

Thanks guys

On the one hand its great that you want to get a job, on the other hand though it sounds like your a naive marxist. Who gives a rats if its selfish, only you can attain the individual wealth that you desire.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&page=2&page=2

Post 29.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    Hi,

Thanks guys

Id take the job.
    Although your parents are happy to pay for you while studying, it wouldnt hurt to earn yourself some extra money. It will also be experience, which will help when you come to get a job after finishing your studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.