Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I have body dysmorphia? (With pics) Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I lost about 5 stones over the last year and at first people were encouraging me etc but now they are saying I'm getting too thin, my face looks thin etc.

I want to lose about another stone but I'm concerned that I might have some sort of body dysmorphia or I might be in the process of developing it.

I think it might be because people are comparing me to my old self that they say I am too thin, when in reality compared to an average person I'm still a little overweight.

Anyway, enough rambling, I thought it would be good to get some neutral opinions on this from people who don't know me or haven't seen me before.

Thanks

Name:  IMAG0105.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  497.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0106.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  497.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    What's your BMI? You look pretty slim to me, but then again even slim people can want to lose weight. Its difficult to gather whether or not you have body dysmorphia on that picture alone. Do you often feel inadequate and wish your body shape was different, spending a lot of time feeling anxious about it? If so I would read up a bit more on it and perhaps see your GP to discuss it with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    What's your BMI? You look pretty slim to me, but then again even slim people can want to lose weight. Its difficult to gather whether or not you have body dysmorphia on that picture alone. Do you often feel inadequate and wish your body shape was different, spending a lot of time feeling anxious about it? If so I would read up a bit more on it and perhaps see your GP to discuss it with them.
    BMI is about 26 but I lift weights too, I feel like whenever I'm walking down the street I'm still overweight. When someone laughs nearby, I think they're laughing at me. It's just little things like that.

And also I keep expecting I'll be happy with my body when I lose some more weight or put on some muscle, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's a confidence or psychological issue at hand here.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to see from pictures with clothes on to be honest.

I would say that you definitely do not need to lose another stone, but it's hard to see if you're too skinny. Your wrists/forearms look okay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flown_muse)
    It's hard to see from pictures with clothes on to be honest.

I would say that you definitely do not need to lose another stone, but it's hard to see if you're too skinny. Your wrists/forearms look okay...
    Appreciate the input

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    BMI is about 26 but I lift weights too, I feel like whenever I'm walking down the street I'm still overweight. When someone laughs nearby, I think they're laughing at me. It's just little things like that.

And also I keep expecting I'll be happy with my body when I lose some more weight or put on some muscle, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's a confidence or psychological issue at hand here.
    26 isn't that bad to be honest, especially if you are weight training. I think this could be a confidence issue, especially with the paranoia that people are laughing at you. I'm gonna say you look fine and they aren't laughing at you, but I know that doesn't little to dispel the belief. It could be a pyschological issue, again talk with your GP or something to see what the options are and what they think. Best of luck dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    26 isn't that bad to be honest, especially if you are weight training. I think this could be a confidence issue, especially with the paranoia that people are laughing at you. I'm gonna say you look fine and they aren't laughing at you, but I know that doesn't little to dispel the belief. It could be a pyschological issue, again talk with your GP or something to see what the options are and what they think. Best of luck dude!
    Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    You look healthy buddy

and :yy: for keeping your top on, rare around these parts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    You look healthy buddy

This is one of the threads where it'd be helpful if he had his top off

srs though, nah, I don't think you do. It's just that you hold a higher standard for your body than almost everyone else does, as a result of your weight training and exposure to physiques you've seen online. This is fine and as long as you're not unrealistic about it (as long as you think you're small unless you're big ronnie coleman), it's not gonna cause any problems. Just means you're dedicated and you've got extra motivation in the gym.

I'd say that people are only saying those things because they're used to you with higher bodyfat.

-

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think a dude would be self conscious about his body. You look fine mate, don't let anyone tell you different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    You look healthy buddy

lol thanks dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bullet Knuckle)
    Didn't think a dude would be self conscious about his body. You look fine mate, don't let anyone tell you different.
    Cheers, it probably stems from being overweight back then, and now my physical body has changed but my self image hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    This is one of the threads where it'd be helpful if he had his top off

srs though, nah, I don't think you do. It's just that you hold a higher standard for your body than almost everyone else does, as a result of your weight training and exposure to physiques you've seen online. This is fine and as long as you're not unrealistic about it (as long as you think you're small unless you're big ronnie coleman), it's not gonna cause any problems. Just means you're dedicated and you've got extra motivation in the gym.

I'd say that people are only saying those things because they're used to you with higher bodyfat.

-
    Thanks, yeah when you put it like that I realise seeing all those sick physiques raises the bar for your own body.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, yeah when you put it like that I realise seeing all those sick physiques raises the bar for your own body.
    And think about the pathetically low standards the average person has for their own body, then look at the good that does them.

ReputationRep:
    i think you look fine - just dont lose any more

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, if I saw you in the street I wouldn't give your size a second thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    And think about the pathetically low standards the average person has for their own body, then look at the good that does them.
    Very true. Btw thanks for the glute bridges advice, forgot to reply to you lol.

ReputationRep:
    Very true. Btw thanks for the glute bridges advice, forgot to reply to you lol.
    Always glad to help you out with your ass bb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    Honestly, if I saw you in the street I wouldn't give your size a second thought.

(Original post by A100whoo)
    i think you look fine - just dont lose any more
    Thanks for the input-generally looks live I've been paranoid for no reason then, judging from these replies.

ReputationRep:
    I think you look a great size.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.