The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Media Studies - June 4th

Scroll to see replies

Thank you both so much, you've been so helpful! Wish everyone the best of luck tomorrow! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Best of luck for this afternoon everyone, just be calm and controlled and it will be fine! You can only do your best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I expected representation. What a pain... I answered the mixed genre question on film and wanted to change to TV, didn't though :/ wrote 25 pages and beginning to worry about it! I'm not sure how I managed it. Think I did ok, answered them all appropriately I think so... Just gotta wait, how did you guys do?

I'm aiming for an A/* but only need a B for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
did have a clue what they meant by position audience but i did offer audience globalisation and narrative

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
I properly ****ed the exam with the exception of the Digital Technology question.That was extremely mean of the examining board. I'm sure they'll realise it when they see that the average is a low C this year.
I did the narrative question and I don't even know what I was writing.I also put a bit of representation of characters and linked it to audiences to write a bit more.Dunno how that's gonna work out.I also did the positioning question for newspapers and I'm pretty sure I got like a 15,if I'm lucky.
Reply 45
Original post by GraysonKIDD
I expected representation. What a pain... I answered the mixed genre question on film and wanted to change to TV, didn't though :/ wrote 25 pages and beginning to worry about it! I'm not sure how I managed it. Think I did ok, answered them all appropriately I think so... Just gotta wait, how did you guys do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I answered the mix genre question too. I found it easy but it would have been easier if there was a representation question. :/
Reply 46
Original post by LostByeol
I properly ****ed the exam with the exception of the Digital Technology question.That was extremely mean of the examining board. I'm sure they'll realise it when they see that the average is a low C this year.
I did the narrative question and I don't even know what I was writing.I also put a bit of representation of characters and linked it to audiences to write a bit more.Dunno how that's gonna work out.I also did the positioning question for newspapers and I'm pretty sure I got like a 15,if I'm lucky.

I thought the digital technology was the easiest question on section b. I talked about how they used mobile phones, laptop and tv..also added the synergy stuff
Reply 47
Original post by nick1994
I thought the digital technology was the easiest question on section b. I talked about how they used mobile phones, laptop and tv..also added the synergy stuff

Yeah,that's the only question I did well on lol
Original post by nick1994
I answered the mix genre question too. I found it easy but it would have been easier if there was a representation question. :/

I thought it was a little awkwardly worded because I was contemplating if what I was actually saying was relevant.. I think it was as everyone else in my class did the same thing - I just kinda said why it was that genre and stuff as well... meh, sure it'll be alright.

Feel bad for the people with really awkward industries, not sure why a teacher would select something like newspaper etc. surely Film/Tv/Ad is best and applicable to all questions..?
Reply 49
Hey J
I did film, music and advertising and I found the narrativequestion in section A quite good and then the audience offer was okish.. but Icompletely screwed up the digital technology question which I applied to music!
I was so gutted representation didn’t come up, I was sure ithad been in every single past paper :/. Reckon I got a C.

Charlie x
Reply 50
The paper was just horrific in my opinion hahahaha, but I can't do anything about it now so I'm just going to have to wait for my results now :frown:

I did the one on narrative on section A for music (big up to the people who helped by telling me what to write on that yesterday!), then the one about audience for magazines and global for TV. No idea what positioning in, my teacher has never mentioned it nor have we covered digital tech stuff sooooo yeah

I was literally cursing so much when I saw there was no representation question. The guy behind me actually gasped when he saw the questions hahahaha

I need an A for Uni so I'm probably screwed unfortunately. I needed 62 raw marks, really not sure if I got them, it could go either way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2372597&p=42973648#post42973648

Can someone help me with this?I need to at least know whether I was writing utter crap or not lol :?
Reply 52
I did the Genre Mix question in A, then in B I did what the texts offer and how are they Global...I am not going to lie I am not expecting anything more than a D in this exam....It didn't go too well, the good thing is that the University I have applied for requires 280 Pts which I've already got from my BTEC ICT,
Original post by GraysonKIDD

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was one of the worst papers we could have had. :frown: I did the narrative structure for film, what the audience offers for TV and global appeal for music.
Hey, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who found this paper so evil to do!

My three areas were television (Dexter, American Dad and Psychoville), film (American Beauty, Kick Ass and Skyfall) and advertising (NSPCC, Hovis and Go Compare :P), and we had such a useless teacher all year that most of us had to self teach half the information we needed to know!

Anyway, I did the narrative question on advertising (which I don't think I did too bad on), the digital technology question on film (again, think I did okay on) and the audience positioning question on television (STUPID STUPID IDEA.) I don't think it was the worst paper they've ever released, but it certainly was nowhere near the best one either :/

I need to get a B overall this year to hit my uni offer, and I'm really not sure if I managed it. I don't know my coursework grade, but I'm so technology illiterate that last year I got a D in it, and I didn't do much better this year, so I was really relying on a nice paper :frown:

Oh well, there's nothing we can do now guys! Just keep positive, and hope we get nice markers for August! You never know, you might have actually done better than you thought! :smile:
Guys, I had newspapers as one of my industries :frown: And our class was taught nothing on globalisation or digital technology! For Section A I chose narrative for film (Propp for Mission Impossible, Barthes for The Inbetweeners Movie and Todorow for This Is England) In section B i had to do both audience questions and am I right in saying that what the text offers is uses and gratifications? And positioning is reception theory? Pretty sure I done rubbish in that paper, need a C for uni.
Reply 56
i used uses and gratifications for offers :smile:
My industries were TV, Film and Music and the only one I actually did well on was the audience positioning question as music is quite a good one for that (I did Jay-Z, Lady Gaga and One Direction as my case studies). However, the other questions I just blurted out complete rubbish for pages and pages! We hadn't even done anything on how a film is considered to be global or not in lessons! I think some of the questions were quite harsh and unfair compared to questions asked in other years. I didn't feel the questions let me show a lot of my knowledge (Not in a big headed way, I just remembered a lot of facts and figures on information which I didn't even get to use!) as the questions were rather closed and specific. I could have written a lot on the film industry but had to write it being effing global!

To anyone worrying, a lot of people think the exam was hard and more unfair than other years, so I have a feeling this will bring the grade boundaries down. I'm sure you've all done better than you think. x
Reply 58
I keep thinking of things I didn't write about and it's stressing me out :frown: lol

Also one thing I'm really worried about is that I only had time to write for one music video per artist for the music industry, does this matter? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Hello there.
Did any of you struggle for time? I personally reckon it should have been 3 hours. I was panicking towards the end because I definitely didn't write enough for advertisement.
How many pages did you guys write per industry?
THANK YOU :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending