Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    As an international student from Turkey who wanted to attend St.Andrews,I honestly knew nothing about the process and what should I do,so in this thread I would like to help those who will apply to foundation program but know nothing about how to do,as I'll be an upcoming student of the foundation program,I will try to cover the program basics within the upcoming months.As I am in constant searching process I'll re-read and try to cover my mistakes ( I try to be really careful ) or outdated information.

1) Are you required to study a foundation program
    a ) Check Saint Admissions Map to see information given about your country. : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/admissionsmap/ If the information section says that the high school diploma does not satisfy their requirements ( Asia : Apart from Russia,and India near to all of them has the quote ) Then here comes the second question If your answer is "yes" : Do you have an IB diploma or a A Level ,or American High School Diploma ) If you dont have an IB diploma or A Level or American High School Diploma but your grades are obviously exceptional,or lets say really great in your country then you can still try to apply to the first year of the program.

2)Check the In Country Agency And Events

is a great source to find a in country agency or just to find which events the representetives of the university will attend.They mostly put the emails,and the websites so you can check and arrenge the meeting with them.The advisors in those agencies will help you about what they expect,and if your grades are good for the first year rather than the foundation year and they should guide you in the process.

3)Where is the application form ?
    This might be done at the agency that they will give you the application paper and help completing the sections but If you are all alone in this journey or your agency does not provide help when applying here is the link : For the undergraduate http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/el...G_app_2013.pdf

For the postgraduate please click : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/el...est%20form.pdf

Or you can use the UCAS Application Form in September,Here are the codes;
    Management, Economics and Finance - N1Q3
    Medicine - B900
    Science (September Intake) - CFGA
    Social Sciences and Humanities - LQV0

So this means the university basically covers two choices to apply and I choose the individual one but Its completely up to you.

4)Okay,so whats next ?

So typically you can receive three answers : unconditional,conditional,or rejection.You should be aware that they can make a interview with you,It can be in your country or It can be via Skype.

The offer letter that you'll receive will explain the further procedures and the links below will be guiding too If you need help after you receive the offer.

For undergrads : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/el..._YOOP_2013.pdf Okay so this link basically covers the information about your what your offer means and covers the basic steps.And It also explains the accomodation,as you can see all the undergrad foundation students will be eligable for a room at DRA Appartments.(For the dorm check this thread :: : Ultimate Accomodation Thread.If I remember correctly the room will be catered en-suite but I am not completely sure about that,as there is no reference in the guide

For the postgrads : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/el..._YOOP_2013.pdf

4) If you studied in another foundation program,want to transfer to St.Andrews vice versa

As far as I know,If you finish the program with a good note and that you finish the foundation program of an university from the same league then you'd be able to attend another university because then you finish the orientation program to the program in UK.Also in the big guide link you can see how many people went to another university after their foundation program.As most of the universities list that,you can check If the foundation program that you'll attend in an X University had some of the students transferred to St.Andrews
    Some Useful Links

Programme Information Link : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/elt/foundation/programmes/ This covers the aims,assestments,entry,accomodat ion,dates and fees information for all the programmes offered.

Fee Package Link : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/elt/foundation/feepackage/

How to Pay the fees : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/elt/foun.../howtopayfees/

Meet Us In Country ( For Some ) : http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/elt/foun...inyourcountry/ : It shows the exhibitions and tours that they made this year so,check this out in the upcoming year.

You can check http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=626091 Frequently Asked Questions Page for any information related about the life at St.Andrews.

One of the most important links :http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/el...ews%202013.pdf

Contact Information For The University

Centre for International Foundation Programmes
    Kinnessburn
    Kennedy Gardens
    St Andrews
    Fife KY16 9DJ
    Scotland, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1334 462255
    Fax: +44 (0)1334 462270
    Email: [email protected]
    Another News: International Undergraduate for Medicine is oversubscribed so the applicants after 18th of February will be on the waiting list,final decision in August.Also there is no other oversubscribed information about the other programmes ( including Postgraduate Foundation)

Diploma in Business and English is now also oversubscribed,further applicants will be on the waiting list according to their website.

I created this to simply simply for international students who needs to study at foundation program.The links are from the University of St.Andrews official website and some information as you can see is copied,arrenged for you to find out quicker.I think I'll be able to put some information about the coursework after September 2013.And to those who want to know which programme did I apply : I applied to Social Sciences & Humanity for Psychology,I also listed my offer at the St.Andrews 2013 Applicants Stalking Page so It might be a clue for those who will apply from my country.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    After you receive your offer,
    a)If It is unconditional you have to firm your offer in order to do further procedures (leads to CAS number for international applicants

b) If It is conditional you have to achieve the conditions of the offer.Then you have to firm your offer in order to do further procedures ( leads to CAS number for international applicants)

c)If It is a rejection and you want to be a student of St.Andrews,then go to the other university foundation programme (the quality of education should be equal,Its unlikely to receive an offer after you studied in a not so great foundation programme )

CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) - The CAS is essential for applying to TIER 4,When you firm your offer the university will issue the number in about a week,It can take up to 10 days.Since my offer is conditional,the essential task is to have your transcript,your IELTS/TOEFL score (the one that is listed in your offer ),and the real diploma and also a notarized translated diploma.After you get all the documents then you can send it with the help of your advisor It'll be done and once Its done the TIER 4 visa application process can start ( Yay :h: ! :h:)

In my experience I received the CAS in a day :awesome:

TIER 4 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
    (copied from the offical page of Uni. St.Andrews )

You can check the country visa requirements from this page,
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ly-outside-uk/

Step 1

Complete the PBS General Migrants Application (VAF 9) and pay for your application online (available in most countries). This form is to collect personal details and is to be completed by every applicant coming into the UK under the Points Based System. Once the payment is made and the VAF 9 is submitted this becomes the date of application. For assistance with this application form see our guidance notes.

Step 2

Once you have submitted your online application you will be prompted to make a biometrics appointment, where your fingerprints and facial photograph will be taken. You will be given details of the collection points that are local to you. When you attend the appointment you will need to take your passport, the printed appointment receipt and a printed completed and signed copy of your VAF 9 application form and the completed appendix 8 form.

For help on completing appendix 8 see our guidance notes.

Once your biometrics have been recorded you will be given a receipt (keep this secure) which you submit with all other required documents when you submit your complete application.

Appendix 8 is the student specific section of the visa application. Print off and complete Appendix 8, don’t forget to insert your CAS number that you have been sent by the University in the corresponding box.

Step 3

Print off VAF 9 and send it along with Appendix 8 and all the original documents, including your passport, to the diplomatic post which is detailed in the application procedure. Please see information about the required documents here.

Step 4

Unless you are a national from one of the countries specified as 'Low Risk' in Appendix H of the immigration rules you may be contacted to undergo a Credibility Interview where the Entry Clearance Officer will assess your intention to study, level of English and financial viability to follow the course.

The intention to study questions will include the title of your course (ie MA Hons English), the academic level of the course and the qualification that will be awarded (all of this information will be included in your CAS email). It is also important that you know some general information about the University and the responsibilities of being a Tier 4 General Student; all of this informaiton is available on the University website.

The financial viability questions will include information about your sponsor, the cost of your course, how much you will need for living costs; again this information is available on the University website.

These interviews will take place in person, over the phone or using skype.

Step 5

Await the decision. Please remember that if you are making your application in the summer for entry into the UK in September this is peak season and delays are likely. This will be particularly relevant for 2012 due to the Olympic Games being held in London. Please make sure that you leave ample time to make your application. The University cannot expedite applications for its students and therefore timely applications are vital.

Step 6

Check that the information on the visa/entry clearance certificate is correct.

Length of course Length of stay
    Less than 6 months The full length of the course plus 7 days after the end date noted on the CAS
    6-11 months The length of the course plus two months following the end date noted on the CAS
    12 months or more The length of the course plus four months following the end date noted on the CAS
    Please also check that your name and date of birth is correct and that it has the University of St Andrews sponsor licence on (V63Q719H2).

Processing times

This varies from post to post and also depends on demand. In some countries there are additional priority services available which incur an additional cost to the application fee. Information about these services can be found on the UKBA website in the 'Countries' section.

What should I do if I am refused?

If your application is refused, contact the Student Services International Advisers for advice.

When can I come to the UK?

You must check the 'valid from' date on your visa. You should not try to enter the UK before this date.

ReputationRep:
    Further Steps - Being A Part of The University I

So after you firm your offer you should usually get a message from the university in about a week.This email will guide you how to open your account and have a email.

Important note : If you applied from an agency,they might be the one that will receive the mail so contact with your agency first If you do not hear from the university.. While you are creating the password please check the requirements carefully for the strong password,a strong password is not optional,Its obligatory;If the link says your password is not strong go and check once again.There is a moodle site that you'll log in with your username and password that is really essential for your studies and for your social life also.First you'll have to enrol to your course,then you can see the online users;by clicking them and then the student link you can see your classmates,their mails and their uploaded photos;also you can see the professors of your class and contact details.The home page of your moodle contains application form for airport transfers and medical checksAttention ! For the guaranteed airport transfer you must send the form before 16th of August The airport transfer also covers your family or your friend If you do provide their names and your relation to them in the form.Other than there is a chat room,a town video made by the Science foundation students of the last year,and also a moodle application link for android and also for iphone.The chat room is not user friendly so people try to meet there and then move to Facebook since It is more reliable and more user friendly The useful links is provided with the pre arrival mail

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I stumbled across your forum !
    I am from Dubai and I am planning to apply to CIFP Medicine- St. Andrews for the 2015 entry.
    Overall did you like the program? Are you enjoying your experience at St. Andrews? In addition, did you quickly get an offer from CIFP and what about the interviews?
    Best,
    Mariam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maariammk)
    I'm so glad I stumbled across your forum !
    I am from Dubai and I am planning to apply to CIFP Medicine- St. Andrews for the 2015 entry.
    Overall did you like the program? Are you enjoying your experience at St. Andrews? In addition, did you quickly get an offer from CIFP and what about the interviews?
    Best,
    Mariam
    Dear Mariam,
    As a Social Science student,I enjoyed the foundation program and learned a lot and I think most of the students had a overall positive experience no matter of the outcome with some ups and downs.St Andrews is a windy,small lovely town and although It is not the biggest place still It has his own charm and you will probably have probably a decent amount of friends to share the experience.

I was interviewed during a meeting in my country as they were visiting the agency so I can't really say anything about your interview as It might be quite different but mine was a friendly academic conversation.And about the offer,I don't think It would take long but I can't exactly remember mine so Wish you the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlaux)
    Dear Mariam,
    As a Social Science student,I enjoyed the foundation program and learned a lot and I think most of the students had a overall positive experience no matter of the outcome with some ups and downs.St Andrews is a windy,small lovely town and although It is not the biggest place still It has his own charm and you will probably have probably a decent amount of friends to share the experience.

I was interviewed during a meeting in my country as they were visiting the agency so I can't really say anything about your interview as It might be quite different but mine was a friendly academic conversation.And about the offer,I don't think It would take long but I can't exactly remember mine so Wish you the best
    Thank you so much for the reply ! I'm so glad to hear that. Hopefully I'll get admitted so that I can get the chance to experience what you did ! Good luck in everything !x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maariammk)
    Thank you so much for the reply ! I'm so glad to hear that. Hopefully I'll get admitted so that I can get the chance to experience what you did ! Good luck in everything !x

Did you get accepted?

ReputationRep:
    I've written a blog about foundation programs - especially about mine - if you wish maybe it will help you.

https://myfoundationyear.wordpress.com

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.