Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am new loool so this is a tad bit awkward. But I am currently a year 11 student and I am very confused. I do hope to study medicine in the future however I have also accepted the fact that the chances of me actually studying the course is 1/10000 but I guess it is good to always aim high right?

All the colleges I have applied to are going to give me places based on whether I get A's and A*'s in my subjects. My predicted grades are:
    Biology-B
    Chemistry-B
    Physics-B
    Maths-A
    Citizenship-A
    English Lit-B
    English Lan-B
    R.E-A*

When I go college I hope to do the following A-Levels: Chemistry,Biology,Maths and Psychology or Religious Studies. Are this suitable A-Levels for the entry requirements to Medicine?
    I don't know what I can do to get my grades at A's and A*'s and I am not confident in the exams I have recently taken. Is there a chance of me doing medicine? Or am delusional? Also I am doing BTECS and so far they are all distinctions and equivilant to 10 A's.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to look up the entry requirements for med schools, but those GCSEs should fulfill the requirements of at least a few med schools. You do absolutely have to get AAA at A-level though, but I don't know how difficult that is with less than stellar GCSEs.

I don't think BTECs count.

ReputationRep:
    To do medicine at Uni it's essential to get minimum AAA at A level, because the degree is just so competitive and the workload immense.

ReputationRep:
    I think what you have to really think about is why you are getting B's in essential subjects like chemistry and biology. If you are struggling at GCSE, how likely is it that you can improve to A's at A2 with much harder material - especially chemistry? If it's simply that you haven't been working very hard that can easily be fixed - if it's more fundamental than that, it may be that medicine isn't achieveable.

ReputationRep:
    The above advice is right for most undergrad applications. There are also 'Access to Medicine' schemes at some universities, aimed at students whose home or school environment has prevented them from achieving AAA.

You should read the 'medicine wiki' (link is in the top right of this screen) and check the articles on GCSE Requirements, A level requirements, 'applying using your strengths', and Access schemes (if applicable)

Medicine is highly competitive and only 40% of applicants get offers, so you will have to work hard during Y12 to improve your academic performance if you're going to succeed.

Edit to add: regarding subject choices, you'll need Chemistry. Biology or Maths is a good second choice. The third can be anything - even RE would give you a good insight into the moral and ethical issues that arise in medicine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Most uni's ask for some specific GCSE grades and with the majority of med students people rarely get B's even if the minimum grade requirements are ~B's. Bristol even ask for an A in English language (might be Lit can't remember off the top of my head)
    but if you look into the universities that offer "Pathway to medicine" or "foundation year medicine" courses and see their requirements you can (for some) avoid taking chemistry and then they teach you all the ciochem you need to know in the foundation year course!
    best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCubed)
    I think what you have to really think about is why you are getting B's in essential subjects like chemistry and biology. If you are struggling at GCSE, how likely is it that you can improve to A's at A2 with much harder material - especially chemistry? If it's simply that you haven't been working very hard that can easily be fixed - if it's more fundamental than that, it may be that medicine isn't achieveable.
    The reasons for me getting B's is due to the results I received in year 10 which were B's and I didn't touch a single revision book however those results have now affected my overall grade. In chemistry and physics I am set to get an A's. In English Language I am set to get an A however with Literature and Biology I am not as confident;as I am scared they may be B grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzypetrie)
    Most uni's ask for some specific GCSE grades and with the majority of med students people rarely get B's even if the minimum grade requirements are ~B's. Bristol even ask for an A in English language (might be Lit can't remember off the top of my head)
    but if you look into the universities that offer "Pathway to medicine" or "foundation year medicine" courses and see their requirements you can (for some) avoid taking chemistry and then they teach you all the ciochem you need to know in the foundation year course!
    best of luck
    Thank you, I will look into this more deeply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    The above advice is right for most undergrad applications. There are also 'Access to Medicine' schemes at some universities, aimed at students whose home or school environment has prevented them from achieving AAA.

You should read the 'medicine wiki' (link is in the top right of this screen) and check the articles on GCSE Requirements, A level requirements, 'applying using your strengths', and Access schemes (if applicable)

Medicine is highly competitive and only 40% of applicants get offers, so you will have to work hard during Y12 to improve your academic performance if you're going to succeed.

Edit to add: regarding subject choices, you'll need Chemistry. Biology or Maths is a good second choice. The third can be anything - even RE would give you a good insight into the moral and ethical issues that arise in medicine.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the advise it really did help me

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.