Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NOSE JOB (Rhinoplasty) on the NHS. Desperate :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm 19 and my nose is very big and I have a bump. I'm happy with the rest of me, I like my body, hair, teeth, everything else. However, my nose is making me depressed. I refuse to go out, I refuse to go on dates, I refuse to have pictures taken. It makes me feel worse than everyone else. And it's not just one of those things that we don't like about ourselves but have to accept it - I'm becoming very obsessed with it.

For example, whenever someone asks me for a lift, I make up excuses. And it's not because I don't want to do them a favour, but I CAN'T STAND someone sitting next to me in a car and looking at my profile.

Also, when I got with my (now ex) boyfriend, I REFUSED to be introduced to his friends and family for months because I thought they wouldnt accept me... because of my nose. I realise how stupid this sounds, and obviously I personally would not dislike someone because of their looks, but it's just constantly in my head, and even though I keep telling myself I should accept it, i just cant. IMPOSSIBLE.

Whenever I mention it to my friends they seem to brush it off and not take it seriously. I spend almost every night crying myself to sleep about it. Not accepting yourself is probably one of the worst things - worse than others not accepting you. I've decided I want a nose job, and my family agreed I should have it done because they see how unhappy it makes me. However, I'm a uni student and I cannot afford it. Apparently you can get it on the NHS, but does anyone know if I have any chances of actually qualifying for it? Where do I even start?

PS. I'm not a spoilt little girl, this is honestly ruining my life by making me so self conscious. I hate living like this. So if you want to criticize me because I want to get it for "free", please don't. I'm living in self created hell.

PS2. I've tried just accepting myself. It's not working

ReputationRep:
    Go to your GP and tell them everything you just wrote. If it's affecting your life as much as you say it is then they should provide you with some options, though I doubt they'll immediately offer you free surgery. They don't like giving out things for free.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's a bit of information here about cosmetic surgery on the NHS - the gist of which is that it's rare that the NHS will fund it. The first step in finding out for sure will be talking to your GP - have you done that?

Without wanting to disappoint you, (and please bear in mind that I have no expert knowledge of this at all, this is just some random person on the internet giving you their opinion) I think it's very unlikely that you'll qualify to have the surgery you want on the NHS - and even if by some remote chance you did qualify, it's likely that there would be a significant waiting list.

It's also clear that you can't carry on isolating yourself, crying yourself to sleep every night, and generally suffering because of this. Given that you can't afford private surgery at the moment, and that it may be impossible to get the surgery via the NHS, my advice would be to focus on getting help for the way you feel, instead. I'm not saying 'just accept yourself', because it's clearly not that simple, but I do believe that with professional help you could address how it's impacting on you. One place you could seek this help is by talking to your GP (maybe at the same time as discussing whether there's any possibility of getting surgery); but I also noticed you said you're at uni - most universities will have some sort of counselling service available free of charge to their students, and it may be worth seeking help from them. I really think this would be a good source of help for you because this is obviously really limiting your life at the moment.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of people in the world with big noses. Many are unhappy with the way that they look but it doesn't stop them living their lives the way that you seem to describe.

You may want to consider talking to someone about it. No, therapy won't give a smaller nose, but it may help you deal with your appearance until you've managed to save enough money to get it sorted yourself. Another reason to wait is that it's not really the best idea to undergo cosmetic surgery when you are in an unhealthy state of mind. No surgeon can give you a perfect nose.

ReputationRep:
    I think therapy or counselling should be tried first and this is what a doctor will recommend before letting you have surgery. Bear in mind that if something went wrong with surgery you could come out with worse than you have and you might wish youd accepted what you had. IF the NHS were to offer you this, it would not by any means be a quick process.

ReputationRep:
    You almost definitely won't get a rhinoplasty on the NHS even if it's affecting your life like this. Even if there's a chance, they'll probably make you go through some form of counselling first like CBT.

See what therapy can do for you and save up for it when you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Nose job on the nhs I had one well two actually had a big hump deviated septum hated hated hated it for about 4 years after breaking it.went to gp he sent me to e.n.t saw consultant told him I hated it and couldn't breath said septorhinoplasty no problem 6 weeks later job done looked fantastic .6 years later went back to gp told him I don't like this nose job he said ok il refer you to e.n.t consultant had a look said ok Weil do a revision 2 week later job done worse decision of my life made the beautiful job he did before look worse i shouldn't have had 2 na I wanting a third to correct it. My point is dont get addicted and a nose job on the nhs is very possible if you can't breathe had it broke or it effects your day to day life p.s its very very painful

ReputationRep:
    Learn make up tricks and such to make it look better (a basic one is simply a good bronzer that blends into your skin tone down both sides of your nose, ask me if you need any more), make sure you get a great paying job after you graduate, and get plastic surgery after then if you can't get it on the NHS x

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that it's affecting your everyday life and no one should have to feel that bad about themselves but surely you should consider therapy or something beforehand. It doesn't seem like a nose job will have any health benefits and no surgeries are risk-free, not to mention that the NHS already have enough strain on their resources. If you try therapy then at least you're not stuck with a permanent change on your face that you may not even like.

ReputationRep:
    People who have cosmetic surgery on the NHS disgust me. There are hundreds of actually ill people who have to wait years for vital operations yet you want them to fix your nose which has no health benefits whatsoever. You need counselling, not a new nose. Stop blaming all your problems on it and get real.

ReputationRep:
    Lavender blue sky go break your nose and then tell me it doesn't have any health benefits plus ppl actually commit suicide due to the way they look so actually a nose job could be a life saving operation.plus the nhs would not do it if it had no benefits at all I think your comment is discussing frankly you just don't understand

I know what it's like to have your nose control your life. I used to be like that with mine. I wouldn't let people see me from certain angles, used to walk around with my hand over my nose, etc. I was extremely self conscious about it for years and years.

I might be having a nose job within the next month, and I'm paying - or rather, my parents are, because they know how long I have agonised over my nose for.

I don't think it's fair that you should get it done on the NHS. If my parents are forking out to pay for mine, and believe me, my parents are not remotely wealthy, then yours should too. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke218)
    Lavender blue sky go break your nose and then tell me it doesn't have any health benefits plus ppl actually commit suicide due to the way they look so actually a nose job could be a life saving operation.plus the nhs would not do it if it had no benefits at all I think your comment is discussing frankly you just don't understand
    Learn to quote and spell. As far as I know she hasn't broken her nose and has no breathing difficulties. Nobody kills themselves over their nose without having serious psychological issues/depression.

ReputationRep:
    I can quote and spell lavender blue just ipad is abit wack and actually they do I am a 5 th year registrar in e.n.t iv seen just from a rhinoplasty septorhinoplasty tipoplasty how they say people's quality of life has changed so much unfortunately in this day and people are judged from how they look social status etc it can really effect someone's quality of life the nhs knows this.plus no lactic surgery I.e nose jobs rhinology boob jobs tummy tucks then their is hardly any need for plastic surgeons on the nhs so more jobs would be lost its a vicious circle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke218)
    I can quote and spell lavender blue just ipad is abit wack and actually they do I am a 5 th year registrar in e.n.t iv seen just from a rhinoplasty septorhinoplasty tipoplasty how they say people's quality of life has changed so much unfortunately in this day and people are judged from how they look social status etc it can really effect someone's quality of life the nhs knows this.plus no lactic surgery I.e nose jobs rhinology boob jobs tummy tucks then their is hardly any need for plastic surgeons on the nhs so more jobs would be lost its a vicious circle
    I couldn't even read that. My brain hurts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having surgery on Tuesday to fix a deviated septum that i've had for years after breaking my nose when I was a kid. My breathing in my left nostril has been mostly restricted for quite a few years now, so it'll feel strange to be able to breath like a normal person

OP, I totally understand your concerns, my nose isn't perfect either since I broke it and I dislike it a lot. It's not really that bad, but just the fact that it's different to how it was bothers me. I have a slight bump as well and I don't really like people looking at me from one side either. Unfortunately I don't think there's much the NHS will do, despite me breaking it all they're doing to fix it is the non-cosmetic stuff (straightening my septum, not the outside). So I think your best bet if it really bothers you so much that it's affecting your life is to either save up to have the surgery done elsewhere, or you can try that counseling that people have suggested I suppose.

I'm kind of hopeful that by sorting out my septum it'll slightly take down the bump, as it seems to be in line with my septum so maybe by straightening it it'll pull the bump in a little :dontknow: But either way, what i'm having done will make a big difference to me, so if all I get is a straight septum and normal breathing then i'll pretty happy.

ReputationRep:
    hi i understand how you feel because i have got a big nose to and i am doing the same thing you do avoid people looking at me and avoid going outside.
    i have even tried to break my nose once but failed so badly. 3 years ago
    but thanks for the info of NHS because i have a problem with my right nose hole i cant breath with it only with the left one.
    so ill try and lets see what happens.

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your problem is in your head and not on it.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a nose with nostrils big enough to convert into small car garages, but I'm still happy with it cause no matter what it's your face and you should never hide it. Even if your upset about it don't let it effect you this badly :P it's only as bad as the grief you create because of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My nose is still pretty much totally blocked 4 days after I had my septoplasty :sigh: It's getting ever so slightly better each day, at least it's not bleeding every 5 minutes now like it was the first two days. To swallow or talk means I have to stop breathing as I can only do one at a time, that's pretty annoying. It feels like i'm drowning when I drink water :lol:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.