The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had a nose job done via the NHS, my issue was with the way my nose looked
Original post by G. Linka
I had a nose job done via the NHS, my issue was with the way my nose looked

What did you nose look like before? Did they remove the hump? How was your whole process?
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
People who have cosmetic surgery on the NHS disgust me. There are hundreds of actually ill people who have to wait years for vital operations yet you want them to fix your nose which has no health benefits whatsoever. You need counselling, not a new nose. Stop blaming all your problems on it and get real.
Many people do become obsessive over their nose, I too have a big nose and I know how awful it can feel, can you not tell by the way she is describing how she feels that she is greatly insecure by it, some people have such trouble with their insecurities that they do become depressed and will end up committing suicide so it does have health benefits, and there is such things as mentally illnesses.
This is exactly how I feel I have a very big nose and I hate people even sitting next to me as they can see my nose from a side profile which is when it looks worse! I can’t take photos without crying at how bad I look. It’s also very bad for me as my sisters are stunning and they have small noses and it makes me feel ugly and odd I am only 16 and I wish I could get a nose job as it makes me so depressed and low
I’m having a septorhinoplasty soon on the NHS. I have an appointment with my surgeon soon to discuss this. They said I have to have it as I can’t breathe through my nose and with me being asthmatic, it’s trouble. It was my consultant for my asthma who referred me to the ENT doctor and on the first appointment they said I need surgery and that I should’ve had this years ago
(edited 5 years ago)
My nose seems to be migrating to the right and it's getting worse I don't see it as much in the mirror but photos and what other people actually see is awful plus I cannot breath properly out of it and there is a massive bump on one side I constantly press it hoping to straighten it but it doesn't help I'm so sick of it I don't like going outside and is somewhat making me suicidal it's that bad.
Reply 127
well this comment is beyond ridiculous!! if you read the WHOLE post .. it sounds like she has some sort of anxiety (because of her nose) I’m sure she is beautiful the way she is, however it’s hard to believe it if you don’t believe it yourself .. and anxiety is an illness so you please , GET REAL .
What did you do OP?
How about you shut up and get real! Your not living this girls life so don't judge! Yes people every day need emergency operations but you don't know what this girl is suffering day to day. My mum had a brain haemorrhage and my dad suffers with diabetes bit it doesn't give me any kind of right to dictate that this girl isn't suffering in her own way aswell. Give her a break! No pun intended
i feel the same way :frown: im 16 and i don’t think i can get it done until im over 18
Just been admitted into hospital as the NHS had realised i had deviated septum. So I have had septoplasty in order to fix this, the only issue is that i have a hump on my nose which im really concerned about. I would love for it to not be there but cant pay the £7000. I have a follow up appointment in 4 weeks approx, what should i say to the doctor?
Just been admitted into hospital as the NHS had realised i had deviated septum. So I have had septoplasty in order to fix this, the only issue is that i have a hump on my nose which im really concerned about. I would love for it to not be there but cant pay the £7000. I have a follow up appointment in 4 weeks approx, what should i say to the doctor? ??
Original post by Tai2001
Just been admitted into hospital as the NHS had realised i had deviated septum. So I have had septoplasty in order to fix this, the only issue is that i have a hump on my nose which im really concerned about. I would love for it to not be there but cant pay the £7000. I have a follow up appointment in 4 weeks approx, what should i say to the doctor? ??

If you’ve already had the operation to fix your deviated septum, it’s unlikely they’ll operate on your nose again as it will be purely for cosmetic reasons (unless you actually can’t breathe any better than before) and the nhs doesn’t really tend to do that very often but it’s worth asking about. Anyway that’s what the ent lady told me when I got diagnosed with a deviated septum
Going through same thing with a deivated septum
(edited 4 years ago)
I don’t understand people who are so ignorant. I have a huge nose, people constantly point it out I know I should let it affect me but everyday I can’t help feeling like it’s the only think that prevents me from feeling happy. In school I was constantly bullied because of the huge mountain on my face. I tried to blame my parents but that never helps. I’m seeing my gp soon to hopefully get rhinoplasty, I wouldn’t mind paying for it but as I’m only 15 I would have to wait until I’m 18, but getting it though NHS means I can get it sooner. I hope people understand that it’s an everyday struggle that makes me feel awful every single day. :smile: if you’re reading this and considering getting a nose job I strongly recommend you think about it, if you do really want it I wish you the best of luck!
First of all you have to convince your GP of the psychological impact it is having on you. If your GP is convinced that (the above) statement is genuine then they will refer you to an ENT clinic near you.You now have to convince the consultant of the same. At this point, the consultant will most likely talk you out of it, and so it's important that you give more details on how much this is psychologically effecting you, because they need to be convinced that the procedure is not for cosmetic reasons only. For example, you have depression, it prevents you from interacting or even leaving the home, you feel suicidal etc. Hopefully now they will now offer you an appointment or ask you to wait for the next available one. Usually nose jobs are only accepted on the NHS if you have physical difficulties (breathing, pain, repeated infections etc) however, the NHS will accept cases where it is a severe mental case.Don't give up, note down how it effects you and ask your GP to refer you. The hard part is convincing the ENT consultant.
I feel the same I’ve be bullied all my life because of my massive nose now it’s also broken and looks worse if it’s possible I Carnt get a relationship and I’ve been asked loads of times what gender I am this had led to me severely depressed isolated and even contemplating suicide I’m 52 now and so very unhappy I think I would have committed suicide only for my children as they don’t have much of a family I’m not living I’m just existing for them
I agree wholeheartedly. Plus braces are worn for ridiculously long periods of time before they actually work.
I wonder if the the girl got her nose done on nhs ?

Latest