Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Accidentally wrote in the margin in an exam. watch

ReputationRep:
    I did two Maths exams this morning on Edexcel, and accidentally wrote in the margin of one of the pages. Does this actually matter? It does say not to write in the margins, but it was an accident, and I'm hoping that's just so they don't have to scan the whole page. Does anyone know this?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. I forgot to write my name in C2 (srs) and still got 89.

They are extremely fair.

ReputationRep:
    dd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    I did two Maths exams this morning on Edexcel, and accidentally wrote in the margin of one of the pages. Does this actually matter? It does say not to write in the margins, but it was an accident, and I'm hoping that's just so they don't have to scan the whole page. Does anyone know this?
    I've written in the margin dozens of times - it will have literally no effect on your mark.

I think they tell you not to write in the margin just in case they don't scan the edge of the page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbc123)
    I've written in the margin dozens of times - it will have literally no effect on your mark.

I think they tell you not to write in the margin just in case they don't scan the edge of the page.
    I always feel excited about learning the "truth" about exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acsh)
    It won't be a problem. I used to work with examination papers and the only things that are cancelled out are if you write your name in the actually answer our try and make some sort of a plea to the examiner in your answer etc.
    Lol bribe the examiner. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did that XD.

ReputationRep:
    The idea is that the box (page minus margins) is the area that it scanned in and received by the examiner on his or her computer, so the risk is just that the examiner won't see the stuff in the margin properly and won't mark it.

As long as no answers are in the margin, or any serious workings out which may earn you credit if you got the answer wrong, then don't worry about it.

In reality, usually the whole page does manage to be scanned, or most of it at least. Additionally, I've never quite understood how the scanning thing is true, seeing as the purpose of margins is also for examiners to "write/type in" and then mark the score after each maths question in the bottom right corner of the margin. But that might be down to the process of marking, because it goes through different people so perhaps one examiner marks it online and one marks the hard copy? I don't know the process exactly.

But either way, worse comes to worst and you've lost like 1 mark. It'll be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.