The Student Room Group

Law Degree Or Law Apprentiship???

Hi guys, so im still studing for my A-levels im in my first year and wanted to go into law and was set on the idea of going into university, but now im feeling doubtful and have been looking up for legal appretiships and am really confused on what to do????? i know a law degree will be of more use but is it better than to be trained and get payed at the same time????:confused:
Reply 1
In short, just go to Uni!

The connections and the support you get at Uni are much more helpful in achieving the LLB which is the first qualification required to become a lawyer. Many Unis also maintain good relations with local law firms which will help you get work experience, for example - Bristol and UWE have exclusive placements in Bristol law firms! In these placements you may get paid, dependent on who you work for.

You can, as you say, skip Uni and get an Apprenticeship , however - you will be most likely subject to NMW for apprentices which is £2.63 an hour if I remember rightly. Furthermore there is also the chance you will just end up as somebodies coffee bitch. Also, these positions are highly competitive and so you aren't guaranteed a place, whereas at Uni, it is much easier to get in... (I believe anyway, not really looked at the Apprenticeship route as I want to go to Uni!)

If you want to earn some money from 18-21, then get a part time job whilst at Uni. You may only have lectures 3 days a week, and face-time is very low, so you have a LOT of free time on your hands. A lot of people look to work, to help with living expenses etc :smile:

If you want anything in depth, I will be on tomorrow, but for now - bed! ;p
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mariam_12345678
Hi guys, so im still studing for my A-levels im in my first year and wanted to go into law and was set on the idea of going into university, but now im feeling doubtful and have been looking up for legal appretiships and am really confused on what to do????? i know a law degree will be of more use but is it better than to be trained and get payed at the same time????:confused:

Between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 law graduates will ever qualify as a solicitor or barrister.

Unless you are a real high flyer any scheme or opportunity which would result in you qualifying as a legal exec or solicitor in a workplace setting represents a better opportunity than a law degree. These positions are as rare as hen's teeth.

Anything that gives you a fee earning role but without admission to one of the professions needs to be approached with caution. In 15 years time are you still going to be paralegalling? Having said that, to do this for a couple of years and then go off to university would put your CV miles ahead of candidates with a month or two of vacation scheme non-jobs. The real question is whether, if you go into work and get used to having a real salary, you are willing to give it up and then go off and be a student. Many people plan to do that, but never leave the dead end job.
Original post by christanmu
In short, just go to Uni!

The connections and the support you get at Uni are much more helpful in achieving the LLB which is the first qualification required to become a lawyer. Many Unis also maintain good relations with local law firms which will help you get work experience, for example - Bristol and UWE have exclusive placements in Bristol law firms! In these placements you may get paid, dependent on who you work for.

You can, as you say, skip Uni and get an Apprenticeship , however - you will be most likely subject to NMW for apprentices which is £2.63 an hour if I remember rightly. Furthermore there is also the chance you will just end up as somebodies coffee bitch. Also, these positions are highly competitive and so you aren't guaranteed a place, whereas at Uni, it is much easier to get in... (I believe anyway, not really looked at the Apprenticeship route as I want to go to Uni!)

If you want to earn some money from 18-21, then get a part time job whilst at Uni. You may only have lectures 3 days a week, and face-time is very low, so you have a LOT of free time on your hands. A lot of people look to work, to help with living expenses etc :smile:

If you want anything in depth, I will be on tomorrow, but for now - bed! ;p

Ohhhhh i see the only thing really from stopping me from going to uni isnt really the fees but the GRADE boundries i mean to do a law degree in a half decent uni like Queen marys, UCL etc you need A*AA which i think is going to be very hard for me to achieve even if i try my hardest so i tought spprentiship would be eaiser as grade boundries are only AAB/BBB so do you have guide to suggestions as to what i could do about this apart from "working hard" :biggrin:
Original post by nulli tertius
Between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 law graduates will ever qualify as a solicitor or barrister.

Unless you are a real high flyer any scheme or opportunity which would result in you qualifying as a legal exec or solicitor in a workplace setting represents a better opportunity than a law degree. These positions are as rare as hen's teeth.

Anything that gives you a fee earning role but without admission to one of the professions needs to be approached with caution. In 15 years time are you still going to be paralegalling? Having said that, to do this for a couple of years and then go off to university would put your CV miles ahead of candidates with a month or two of vacation scheme non-jobs. The real question is whether, if you go into work and get used to having a real salary, you are willing to give it up and then go off and be a student. Many people plan to do that, but never leave the dead end job.

Thanks for that! i just wanted to ask you as i know barristry is very competitive which is what i would love to go into rather than a paralegal or solicitor but i just wanted to know is UNI a big consideration to take into account as it is only a uni and law degree is a law degree at the end on he day :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by mariam_12345678
Ohhhhh i see the only thing really from stopping me from going to uni isnt really the fees but the GRADE boundries i mean to do a law degree in a half decent uni like Queen marys, UCL etc you need A*AA which i think is going to be very hard for me to achieve even if i try my hardest so i tought spprentiship would be eaiser as grade boundries are only AAB/BBB so do you have guide to suggestions as to what i could do about this apart from "working hard" :biggrin:

There are a lot of good enough Unis that don't need A*AA... and Queen Mary's isn't exactly half decent, it is a 6 in the UK for law - so would be classed as an elite uni..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-law

Look at the list there. What are your predicted grades? AAB would get you into most good Unis, BBB would get you into acceptable Unis, anything below that then it's gonna' be a bit harder to get into top Unis but the Northumbria/UWE etc are still easily achievable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending