Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of box-and-whisker plots as opposed to histograms, cumulative frequency graphs, stem-and-leaf diagrams and any other types of representation we need to know for OCR S1 (non-MEI, but MEI people feel free to answer the main question)?

In general, for this exam, any other advantages/disadvantages type thing we should know?

ReputationRep:
    I think i came across this in a past paper, i hate these wordy stats questions, isn't it that box and whisker shows median, range and IQ range, whereas histograms show frequency?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazbo)
    I think i came across this in a past paper, i hate these wordy stats questions, isn't it that box and whisker shows median, range and IQ range, whereas histograms show frequency?
    Showing frequency isn't a disadvantage though, necessarily ...

One clear point is that stem-and-leaf diagrams show exact values of the data (advantage of stem-and-leaf, disadvantage of the other two) whereas histograms and box-and-whisker plots show the overall trend (advantage of these two, disadvantage of stem-and-leaf). With box-and-whisker versus histogram, I'm not sure at all about advantages or disadvantages.

Do we have to know frequency polygons? What are they?

ReputationRep:
    The main advantage of box and whisker plots is that they show the median, the interquartile range and range clearly to a viewer. Histograms, stem and leaf and cumulative frequency do not show this.

Also, as the whiskers show the greatest and least values they can be affected by extreme values.

In histograms and cumulative frequency diagrams, it is clear to see the distrubution of the data, yet you cannot see the actual values as you can in a stem and leaf.

a histogram can show a skew, which is harder to see on a box and whisker plot.

I have a summary sheet on what to put on these wordy questions, that i could copy on here if anybody wanted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owl 1996)
    I have a summary sheet on what to put on these wordy questions, that i could copy on here if anybody wanted it.
    I would very much appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    I would very much appreciate it!
    Histograms:

Advantages- Show shape of distribution clearly. Frequencies are easy to find (areas of bars) Modal group is easy to find. Mean can be calculated.

Disadvantages- does not include raw data. Summary statistics, such as the median and interquartile range cannot be found exactly.

Box and Whisker plots:

Advantages- Summary statistics easy to read. Quick and easy to compare sets of data.

Disadvantages- shape of distribution is not clear. Frequencies are not shown. Information is missing. Outliers can give false impressions.

Stem and Leaf Diagrams:

Advantages- shows all of the raw data. Shape of distribution is displayed. Easy to find mode. Mean can be found.

Disadvantages- impractical for large data sets.

Pie charts:

Advantages- clearly shows proportions of categories.

Disadvantages- Does not show frequencies of categories.

Cumulative Frequency Diagrams:

Advantages- Values can be read both ways. Percentiles can easily be found.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.