Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does getting a 2:1 in second year prevent your success in applying for Grad Schemes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is not quite the most appropriate place to post this question- I haven't been around here for a while and I'm not quite fully re-orientated.

I'm a Maths student hurtling towards the end of second year and I've been putting a lot of thought into careers. However, for various reasons, I feel pretty certain that I won't achieve any higher than a 2:2 this year. (An improvement on first year though, if this is relevant to the question.)

What concerns me is whether the absence of a 2:1 would outright extinguish any chance of landing a place on a Grad scheme when I come to apply for them this Autumn. I am confident that I will be applying to each of the Big Four (probably) for Audit; I've done my research and I've got my reasons for applying. I even feel pretty confident with application forms and online tests too (... said no-one, ever). BUT! Will instantly be discounted for not having a 2:1? I can say with a great deal of certainty that I will finish third year with a 2:1 in my pocket but of course this probably means nothing to whoever is screening thousands of applications.

I really appreciate any insight or advice on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simon16)
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is not quite the most appropriate place to post this question- I haven't been around here for a while and I'm not quite fully re-orientated.

I'm a Maths student hurtling towards the end of second year and I've been putting a lot of thought into careers. However, for various reasons, I feel pretty certain that I won't achieve any higher than a 2:2 this year. (An improvement on first year though, if this is relevant to the question.)

What concerns me is whether the absence of a 2:1 would outright extinguish any chance of landing a place on a Grad scheme when I come to apply for them this Autumn. I am confident that I will be applying to each of the Big Four (probably) for Audit; I've done my research and I've got my reasons for applying. I even feel pretty confident with application forms and online tests too (... said no-one, ever). BUT! Will instantly be discounted for not having a 2:1? I can say with a great deal of certainty that I will finish third year with a 2:1 in my pocket but of course this probably means nothing to whoever is screening thousands of applications.

I really appreciate any insight or advice on the matter.
    As long as you're predicted a 2.1 for your final degree classification, it shouldn't be a problem. But, after 2 years out of 3 without gaining a 2.1 average, do you really think you can get one in your final year? That's the question you should be asking.

Otherwise, you should be fine, it may come up in an interview, but this is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Well from personal experience I was never given a predicted grade at uni. When the application forms asked if I was predicted a 2.1 I just put yes even though at the time I had no real certainty I was 100% going to get it.

They sometimes ask for your module grades, sometimes they don't. There is no harm in saying you're going to be predicted, get through the tests, interviews etc.

If you get a conditional offer and fail to get your 2.1 at the end then that's ultimately your fault but I reckon most people filling out applications will just say yes to that question regardless of whether they will or wont. situation may change if for example you failed one year.

ReputationRep:
    You may well be asked about it in interview, as don't forget you're joining an industry where you'll have a further three years of tests and exams, so they will want to know you're prepared for that.

However ultimately, all offers are conditional on achieving a 2.1 (from big 4), so if they think you're a good fit they can make you an offer without really worrying about your grade at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your informative responses; my mind is a lot more at ease on the matter. I have never had predicted grades since being at Uni but I have noticed the question of whether your degree classification is obtained or expected, and how there doesn't seem to be a lot more to it at that particular stage of application.

Thanks again, all!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah unless you have already graduated, it is most likely that what ever job offer you receive it will be conditional upon you graduating with a 2.1. So to be with a shoe in the first step just tick expected/predicted.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I got 58 in my second year and had assessment centre's at PwC and KPMG and a first-round interview at Deloitte. My grades weren't mentioned once.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.