The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by lebron_23
I think you'll be alright, as the difference between 1000 and 500 is 500 and so you only need to find the temperature change for 500, if that makes any sense?

Besides, it's what Arsesy did in via model answer anyway.. Just worried 'cause I got 7.9 instead of 7.5 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i subtracted the 500 answer from the 1000 so the answer was -7.5 but i didn't in words i mean (the difference is 7.5) would i lose marks ?
thanx
Reply 681
For q 6 if you used the big table rather than the little table, the values are slightly different, would you still get the marks?
Original post by Graham981
Generally, you will be awarded 1 (method) mark for "any" Venn diagram, any other marks would depend on any further working/notation.

are you the real GC :eek::eek::eek:
Original post by MAD Phil
Thanks! Sorry about the handwriting, but I'm not going to get out of bed and use a desk just so people can read it! :wink: Just be grateful it's not my head of department posting - people get used to my writing in time, but I still can't read his after 20 years.

no worries, just try and upload then on PDF file rather than 3 or 4, and as ARSEY stated before if you have ADOBE ACROBAT [not this is different from ADOBE READER] then you can shrink the PDF size and upload it here
Reply 684
In question 4a I have used the 3 sig fig mean value (24.2) instead of calculator value to calculate the standard deviation and the value I got is 9.26 instead of 9.29. How many marks will I be deducted?
And how many raw mark will get full UMS for this paper?
Reply 685
Original post by Flochau
In question 4a I have used the 3 sig fig mean value (24.2) instead of calculator value to calculate the standard deviation and the value I got is 9.26 instead of 9.29. How many marks will I be deducted?
And how many raw mark will get full UMS for this paper?

You have an amazing memory to remember 9.26! Previous mark schemes often give a 'range' of answers for the standard deviation; I can't imagine you would lose any marks? I'm not entirely sure though.
Reply 686
Original post by jadecross
Hi Arsey, have you got my quote about uploading C4 Notes?
I'm really struggling with C4 Vectors and application bit of Differentiation, so I would really appreciate your help please. Thank you. :smile:

Check out my previous C4 threads. I may have put some up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 687
Original post by Arsey
Check out my previous C4 threads. I may have put some up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have checked all your threads and couldn't find any C4 Notes :frown:
Reply 688
Original post by MsAqa12345
Thanks for replying back! Okay! Ive got to smash the C2 paper now! :smile:

You'll be great. Don't be nervous. Good luck :-)
Reply 689
Original post by Satanel
You have an amazing memory to remember 9.26! Previous mark schemes often give a 'range' of answers for the standard deviation; I can't imagine you would lose any marks? I'm not entirely sure though.

not sure coz many of my friends said calculator values have to be used...
hope the marking scheme would accept my answer fingercrossed.
anyway thank you for comforting me!
Reply 690
Original post by teen1234
For q 6 if you used the big table rather than the little table, the values are slightly different, would you still get the marks?

That's an interesting question, because in the past papers the examiners state that if the exact value ( z value ) is in the little tables and instead you round z value to 2 d.p and use the big table they will take a mark off. If there is more of an accurate value in the little tables and you use the big table instead, the most you can lose is one mark- due to accuracy, which I think is silly as we have been given the choice of two tables. Hopefully you won't get a mark taken off! :-)
Reply 691
Original post by MAD Phil
Hi; these are my worked answers with comments.

I can't compete with Arsey for promptness, but it might be useful for people to see an alternative set of worked answers, with commentary.

I really don't know how Arsey gets hold of the papers so quickly. At my college, the teachers get the hard-copy 3 or 4 days after the exam. Last year, I got a stern summons from the Exams 0fficer when she heard I had been distributing worked answers a day or two after the exam; she was worried that an exam-paper had been smuggled out of the exam-room after the exam and had reached the teachers - which would be a sacking offence for someone, I suspect. I had to explain that the "Edexcel Emporium" website for maths teachers posts the papers the next working day. (The S1 paper has still not been posted, as it is Saturday; I downloaded Arsey's answers and snipped the questions so I could answer them without being influenced by his answers.)

I sometimes think Arsey must have some special arrangement with Edexcel, especially as he seems to refrain from criticising them even when they are being particularly ... shall we say ... individualistic.

I'll probably post M2, M3, M4 and M5 later.

[Attaching the file didn't work; I'll try again.] Ah, the file's too big, but I didn't get any error-message. I'll split it. What a waste of my and your time, and TSR's storage - the combined size of the 5 separate files is far bigger than the original single file!

Lol I was thinking the same thing when I read the box plot question. How sexist!
Reply 692
Original post by Eviey
Lol I was thinking the same thing when I read the box plot question. How sexist!

Why is everyone getting so upset over the box plot question, for god sake page 61 edexcel textbook, although at little less extreme than in the exam, it still shows that generally they are around the same level, /girls have a higher median score etc.

I don't get why feminazis are all getting mad about a question which was there PURELY to contextualise the data and allow students to sit the specified exam question. I'm sure if you sift through exam papers at some point there will be one with females exceeding males.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 693
Original post by bubblegummer
Arsey, could you please upload the model answer for the S1 international paper? your work will be very much appreciated :smile:

Hi. Graham has uploaded the question-paper to the Emporium now (so he does work weekends - everyone give him a round of applause!)

I've had a go at it. The S1R paper seems significantly harder than the S1 to me.

Here's a link to my answers.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2351169&page=2&p=42696139
(post 32)

I haven't been able to check them with anyone, so there are probably some mistakes. Let me know if you find any.
Reply 694
Original post by Robbie242
Why is everyone getting so upset over the box plot question, for got sake page 61 edexcel textbook, although at little less extreme than in the exam, it still shows that generally they are around the same level, /girls have a higher median score etc.

I don't get why feminazis are all getting mad about a question which was there PURELY to contextualise the data and allow students to sit the specified exam question. I'm sure if you sift through exam papers at some point there will be one with females exceeding males.

Haha "feminazis" i like that. I have actually come across a question in stats where females were exceeding males -good point.
Reply 695
Original post by Eviey
Haha "feminazis" i like that. I have actually come across a question in stats where females were exceeding males -good point.

:smile: pretty much every extreme feminist I come across is a feminazi to me :biggrin: (but you aren't since you actually listened to my point rather than say zomg misogynistic bastard)
Reply 696
Original post by Xx4L3x
I hope I get an A , i didnt want histograms to come up because I could do EVERYTHING else and I go and mess up the paper, so if I resit next year Ill probably do worse and therell probably be a histogram question.

Low grade boundaries please (Wont happen _)

I don't think grade boundaries will be extremely high max 61 or 62-as it has been for the past years 61 usually.
Reply 697
Original post by Fas
ive done exactly the same diagram as Arsey has done pretty much , but i think i included a zero in the Bus circle but in the rest of the sample space ( rest of the box ) i think i left it blank rather than 0 , so maybe 3/4 for that ?

Probably. Might be 4 if the chief examiner is feeling really kind, but don't rely on it.
Reply 698
I am really confused. For the 1st question last part. The difference between 500 and 1000
I think I substituted 1000 first into the regression line, and did the same for 500. Then I took away the larger value from the smaller value... I got 7.5 degrees C. Do I get no marks since I did not get a negative? Please help! Thank you.
Original post by Robbie242
Why is everyone getting so upset over the box plot question, for god sake page 61 edexcel textbook, although at little less extreme than in the exam, it still shows that generally they are around the same level, /girls have a higher median score etc.

This exam question was far more extreme than the one in the textbook.

Latest

Trending

Trending