Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in wrong section of the forums :L

Hey, i need some feedback on what i should do.

ok, so
    at the moment i am choosing these 4 subjects for A level:
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Further Maths

My GCSE Grades are as follows:
    Achieved:
    Maths : a
    Predict:
    Further Maths : c - a (depends on effort i put in)
    Physics b or a
    Chemistry b or a
    Biology a or a*

So i should get all the grades to get into what i have chosen but...

im ok at maths seen as i got a (resitting to try and get a*) but im not amazing.

i feel like if i chose further maths i will be wasting a choice as i will not do as well as i could do choosing biology.

I want to go to university to study either Maths, Physics or Astro Physics. (would rather do Astro Physics.)

But yeah any feed back on how doing biology would effect me trying to do these courses at university. i imagine further maths would help alot.

...btw english is not my strong point, so sorry if there is bad spelling or incorrect punctuation. i should get a C though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew1996)
    Sorry if this is in wrong section of the forums :L

Hey, i need some feedback on what i should do.

ok, so
    at the moment i am choosing these 4 subjects for A level:
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Further Maths

My GCSE Grades are as follows:
    Achieved:
    Maths : a
    Predict:
    Further Maths : c - a (depends on effort i put in)
    Physics b or a
    Chemistry b or a
    Biology a or a*

So i should get all the grades to get into what i have chosen but...

im ok at maths seen as i got a (resitting to try and get a*) but im not amazing.

i feel like if i chose further maths i will be wasting a choice as i will not do as well as i could do choosing biology.

I want to go to university to study either Maths, Physics or Astro Physics. (would rather do Astro Physics.)

But yeah any feed back on how doing biology would effect me trying to do these courses at university. i imagine further maths would help alot.

...btw english is not my strong point, so sorry if there is bad spelling or incorrect punctuation. i should get a C though
    Further Maths at A Level would definitely help a lot, especially at universities like Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL etc. However, at the end of the day, you should also think about taking subjects which will get you AAAb or above, which will make you a very competitive applicant.

I have friend who's doing Natural Sciences (Physics) at Cambridge, who did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Further Maths at A Level would definitely help a lot, especially at universities like Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL etc. However, at the end of the day, you should also think about taking subjects which will get you AAAb or above, which will make you a very competitive applicant.

I have friend who's doing Natural Sciences (Physics) at Cambridge, who did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
    Thanks for the feedback, i imagined that further maths would be very helpful although i would be dropping it after 1 year. (AS)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback, i imagined that further maths would be very helpful although i would be dropping it after 1 year. (AS)
    No worries

Also, may I ask which universities you intend to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    No worries

Also, may I ask which universities you intend to apply to?
    I haven't looked into it that much. i have some books ect, but i was going to look at it closer to the time.
    Any suggestions for universities that do astro physic or physics or things like it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't looked into it that much. i have some books ect, but i was going to look at it closer to the time.
    Any suggestions for universities that do astro physic or physics or things like it.
    I'd suggest looking at universities which don't mind if you don't have Further Maths at A2 level, seeing as you intend to drop it after AS

Also, welcome to TSR - just noticed you're a new member!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest looking at universities which don't mind if you don't have Further Maths at A2 level, seeing as you intend to drop it after AS

Also, welcome to TSR - just noticed you're a new member!
    Thanks for all the help
    and thanks for welcoming me.
    going to bed now so wont reply to anything else. bye.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics and Astrophysics are all incredibly maths-heavy courses, so you'd be far better prepared for Uni for having done Further Maths. You're also more likely to do well in a subject you're interested in, as opposed to one you've picked because it's "easy".

The word to be used is affect, as it's a verb (whereas effect is used as a noun). I only mention this as it'd be a shame to lose marks in an English exam due to a common and preventable mistake .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)
    Maths, Physics and Astrophysics are all incredibly maths-heavy courses, so you'd be far better prepared for Uni for having done Further Maths. You're also more likely to do well in a subject you're interested in, as opposed to one you've picked because it's "easy".
    Yeah, they are all very maths intensive. however i enjoy biology but i don't think it will help me much in life, compared to further maths. (i do like maths but not as much)

The word to be used is affect, as it's a verb (whereas effect is used as a noun). I only mention this as it'd be a shame to lose marks in an English exam due to a common and preventable mistake .
    I did say English was not my strong point :P but i don't think i would loose a mark in GCSE English for that and i would never choose a level English. would be hell!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they are all very maths intensive. however i enjoy biology but i don't think it will help me much in life, compared to further maths. (i do like maths but not as much)

Then why not go into the Biological Sciences, as opposed to what's essentially Maths courses that you may not enjoy as much?

I did say English was not my strong point :P but i don't think i would loose a mark in GCSE English for that and i would never choose a level English. would be hell!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any mark scheme will tell you that accurate punctuation and
    spelling come under the examiners "assessment objectives".

Anyway, I'm not trying to sound pedantic or anything, but there is a significant difference between affect and effect which you could potentially lose marks for if you end up needing to use them in an exam. At any rate, I'm the type of person who likes to know when I make mistakes so I can correct myself in future; I apologise for assuming you were too.
    I wish you luck in your exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)

Then why not go into the Biological Sciences, as opposed to what's essentially Maths courses that you may not enjoy as much?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any mark scheme will tell you that accurate punctuation and
    spelling come under the examiners "assessment objectives".

Anyway, I'm not trying to sound pedantic or anything, but there is a significant difference between affect and effect which you could potentially lose marks for if you end up needing to use them in an exam. At any rate, I'm the type of person who likes to know when I make mistakes so I can correct myself in future; I apologise for assuming you were too.

I wish you luck in your exams!
    Well, first.
    i Don't think i would enjoy a career in biology anywhere near as much as a physics related one.

and i love the idea of higher physics where you learn about newly discovered concepts and look at things that we as humans are only starting to understand, witch is why i would like to study Astro Physics. (possibly other things)

Secondly.
    You are probably right when saying i would loose marks, but im dyslexic, so by the time i would need to write affect or effect i would have already spelt many words incorrect so it would make little difference... :L (but could still make a difference)

im sorry if you thought i was being rude in anyway.

But i have noted the difference of affect and effect now, so that's good

ReputationRep:
    I took physics, biology, chemistry and maths for A level. Biology is easily my least favourite subject, obviously this might not be true for everybody though. However, my reasons for disliking biology may be helpful for you making a decision. Biology, as a subject tends to be more about learning a huge amount of facts than actually understanding interesting concepts. When revising biology I have to sit there and just drill lots and lots of facts into my head so I can regurgitate them in the exam. Personally, I feel that this creates an uninteresting subject and makes you less willing to do revision. Maths, on the other hand doesn't require you to learn many facts, but requires you to have a good level of understanding and to apply that understanding, and your problem solving skills in order to figure out what to do. While you could argue that biology is an easier subject, it will require you to spend a lot of time simply learning facts. I think it might be a good idea for you to find out what exam board your school is on for biology and further maths and then look at the topics you cover at AS and A2. You might see the biology topics and be super interested in them. Good luck with your decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horro421)
    I took physics, biology, chemistry and maths for A level. Biology is easily my least favourite subject, obviously this might not be true for everybody though. However, my reasons for disliking biology may be helpful for you making a decision. Biology, as a subject tends to be more about learning a huge amount of facts than actually understanding interesting concepts. When revising biology I have to sit there and just drill lots and lots of facts into my head so I can regurgitate them in the exam. Personally, I feel that this creates an uninteresting subject and makes you less willing to do revision. Maths, on the other hand doesn't require you to learn many facts, but requires you to have a good level of understanding and to apply that understanding, and your problem solving skills in order to figure out what to do. While you could argue that biology is an easier subject, it will require you to spend a lot of time simply learning facts. I think it might be a good idea for you to find out what exam board your school is on for biology and further maths and then look at the topics you cover at AS and A2. You might see the biology topics and be super interested in them. Good luck with your decision
    Thanks for all the infomation on what you found, its all been taken in.
    i will try to find out what exam boards my school uses, and have a look into them.
    By the sound of things i would enjoy maths more, however i can quite good at remembering things.

ReputationRep:
    I too chose Physics, Maths, Chemistry and biology. I can safely say in my opinion it is the worst subject out of those 4 based on the fact it is pure regurgitation and memorizing a lot of content. If I had the chance to chose my A levels again I might have taken further maths instead of biology because maths and especially further maths is a subject which can challenge you more and push you to your abilities

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your comment Horro421. I have chosen exactly the same subjects that you took in college (physics, biology, chemistry and maths) and I have been considering whether to drop biology for further maths. I looked at this page to better inform my decision and I noticed that your reasons for disliking biology are exactly the reasons that I have considered (I certainly prefer understanding to memorising and maths is a stronger subject anyway). You have definitely helped me to feel more confident about dropping biology and I now look forward to changing to further maths.

ReputationRep:
    lildevil, thanks for the same reason

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.