Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So it's been a week since my last day at sixth form and my first exam is on Wednesday, I haven't revised since that last day and instead I have been crying myself to sleep most days, the thought of the fact that after these exams I won't be going back to my school, not being around friends all day, lessons...I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it ...I remember when I was finally comfortable with school half way through year 7, when I thought it would last forever...heck even at the start of sixth form I thought "2 whole years? That's like forever". It is hit me so hard that this is it, it has actually ended and ofcourse I not only need to get over this quickly for the sake of my exams, but my general well-being too...My last exam is on the 15th of June or something...what will I do for 3 months in limbo?!? .......I'm also terrified of Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So it's been a week since my last day at sixth form and my first exam is on Wednesday, I haven't revised since that last day and instead I have been crying myself to sleep most days, the thought of the fact that after these exams I won't be going back to my school, not being around friends all day, lessons...I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it ...I remember when I was finally comfortable with school half way through year 7, when I thought it would last forever...heck even at the start of sixth form I thought "2 whole years? That's like forever". It is hit me so hard that this is it, it has actually ended and ofcourse I not only need to get over this quickly for the sake of my exams, but my general well-being too...My last exam is on the 15th of June or something...what will I do for 3 months in limbo?!? .......I'm also terrified of Uni.
    Hello I'm a school leaver too, I'm Scottish though. Aw I know, it's a weird thought to be leaving school! I'm moving away from the wee village I've stayed in my whole life and where all friends are - they're going to a uni nearby and I'm moving 3 hours away! I always find that the best thing to do is try and look at the positives that will come out of leaving school. Hey, you'll have no more stupid exams for starters haha! Leaving school is sad, it's everything you've ever known for so long and that is a strange thing to get used to. But consider that if you stayed at school your whole life, how would you ever grow to be the person you're going to become? A lot of people don't feel ready to leave school when they do, but everyone is okay in the end. Think about going to uni - don't be scared! You're going to do a course you're interested in, and if you go in with an open mind there's loads of different stuff you can get involved with! Don't worry about making friends either, there's all different kinds of people so I can guarantee you'll find like-minded people to be friends with., and are some of your current friends going to the same uni as you? If your current friends are real friends then you'll remain that way, the only difference is that you have to show that you value the friendship by making an effort to keep in touch. You could maybe try getting a job for a few months to kill time, or just have fun with your friends! Seriously, don't worry about it as when you go to uni, you'll be moving onto bigger and better things and as long as you have a positive outlook about things and are open-minded you'll love it!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the same happened at my school, a lot of the people were getting teary eyed or outright wailing on the last day. The fact is, that as soon as you start Uni, you'll forget about that particular episode pretty quickly. You'll meet a whole bunch of new people, go out to socials and just generally have fun! University is a million times better than school

Also, there's no reason why you couldn't stay in touch with your school friends!

Anon because I'm quite anxious about moving away too. I wouldn't say I'm as emotional as you are, I'm more emotional about moving away from my family more than anything. I will only be able to see them once a month, due to where I'm going. And the worst thing is this is all only recent, I never knew I was going to move away, I always thought I was going to stay local. And I'm not going to lie, I've never moved away before, or stayed away from family. I feel like I've made my friends. The place where I'm going is not just an everyday Uni, it's a private institution which provides affordable accommodation and a degree. A BA and a MA. And it's a boarding institution which has firm, rules. For example, you cannot have a mobile phone with you. Because it's all about studying there. I find this hard to gulp because that means I've got to accept not staying in touch with my friends for the next 5 years (due to the course length, the MA aswell). So yeah, just thought I'd share my situation But by the by,I am also looking forward to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just because you're leaving school doesn't mean you'll fall out of touch with people. I left school 7 years ago now and my school friends are still amongst my closest; even though we're scattered across the country we all make the effort to meet up every couple of months or so. If anything, leaving school made my friendships with my school friends grow stronger - as we were no longer together all the time we'd no longer get sick of each other, also the effort involved in seeing each other means you quickly fall out of touch with the ones who were never really your friends to begin with.

Older relatives may tell you you're not likely to see your school friends again - in the age of Facebook this is absolute rubbish.

As for the 3 months... I remember finding those pretty tough... maybe go on holiday with your friends (or even travelling?), this way you will have some interesting experiences to share when you start uni?

ReputationRep:
    my last day of school is on Friday and although I've only been there for two years, I'm really going to miss it as everyone is really close to each other. You need to make sure you revise and don't let emotion get hold of you because they're really important at the minute. If you have close friends then I'm sure you'll stay in touch It may be really daunting leaving but change isn't always a bad thing, who knows what stuff you'll do or the people you meet. I feel the same about the summer, I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself. I keep on thinking I must have some work still to do! But imagine all the things you can do then that you don't have for now and no pressure from the exams.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.