The Student Room Group

What does clearing mean?

I always read these random Uni terms and I don't understand them lol, deferred is another one.

Anyone wanna help me out and tell me all the lingo for applying to University that one should know?
Reply 1
Clearing is when after results have came out, if there are still places available on the course, you might be able to contact the uni and get a last minute offer.
Deferring is when you acquire a place on the course, but will be starting the year after.
Reply 2
Clearing happens on results day if you don't get the grades for your firm/insurance choices - you can log onto UCAS and apply for courses which haven't been filled - meaning the grades are lowered, however, these courses are usually the less popular/academic ones, and often at lower class unviersities, although there are a few hidden gems!

Deffered Entry is where you can apply for uni but to start the year after - if you were taking a gap year for example, you may apply for deferred entry, get a place, whiz off for a year and enjoy yourself because as soon as you come home you can go straight onto your course... Saves you having to apply from somewhere in the middle of the African Savannah!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending