Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I would like to organise a wild camping trip this summer for me and a few friends. This would preferably be in Scotland (unless there is a better idea). We are only going for a few days, so it cant be too far up in Scotland bearing in mind we are from Newcastle. It MUST be easily accessible by train/bus from train. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broganmay)
    Hello, I would like to organise a wild camping trip this summer for me and a few friends. This would preferably be in Scotland (unless there is a better idea). We are only going for a few days, so it cant be too far up in Scotland bearing in mind we are from Newcastle. It MUST be easily accessible by train/bus from train. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks
    have not experience in it, but I have camped in Ireland and New Zealand, geographically, neither is a whole other world compared to scotland and I think that accessibility by bus or train will be a bit of a hurdle. You will be able to get a bus to a town close by, but I imagine you will need to hike quite a bit to the nearest camping ground.

One option may be to take bikes with you, or rent them when you get there.

ReputationRep:
    You should have a look At the Fort William surrounding area in the Scottish Highlands. It's very popular for tourists so its accessible enough but also wild and remote at the same time. PS watch out for the midgies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broganmay)
    Around Loch Lomond is nice. If I were you however, I would get the train to Crianlarich. The West Highland Way long distance footpath passes through the town and you could devise a simple circular route walking along the WHW, camp amongst the mountains and glens that run alongside the WHW, before returning to Crianlarich. They have a hostel and shop there; perhaps you could book a cheap night in the YHA hostel on your final night or something?

I was going to suggest Fort William but it is obviously further up north from Crianlarich. If I were you I would price up some tickets using the journey planner on the National Rail website as tickets can be expensive. I've wild camping extensively around Loch Lomond, The Trossachs and around Kinlochleven so if you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe somewhere around Pitlochry might work

ReputationRep:
    Wild Camping is one of the best ways to enjoy the beauty of Scotland’s coastline and hills. The thing that is most important , do not stay for any longer than 3 nights in the same place. Camp at lower down in glens where vegetation recovers more easily.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.