The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
i think i can excuse it more for a cultural reason than a fashion one...

still...its interfering with somebodys body fairly mindlessly:confused:

its like when i got my tattoo and my piercings i knew theyd be there forever, im not saying that in itself is a big deal but id rather make the decision myself...
Reply 81
*Joanna*
I've just walked past a Claire's Accessories and seen a tiny baby screaming whilst they have their ears pierced. The poor wee thing must only have been about 4 months old. Am I just really old fashionned for thinking that is really wrong?! It made me really mad!:mad:

chill out ya spanner
Reply 82
saoirse

its like when i got my tattoo and my piercings i knew theyd be there forever, im not saying that in itself is a big deal but id rather make the decision myself...

How you can compare a tattoo, which is a disfiguration, to a tiny hole in the ears, is beyond me. Do you know people who've been traumatised because they had their ears peirced as a child and now they regret it? I don't think so.

Here's a newsflash: babies cry. Whether you're piercing their ears or not. Don't act so shocked about it.
Reply 83
I didn't cry at all when my ears were pierced, I was 6months old, I didn't cry, I didn't scream and I wasn't bothered by my tiny gold stud earrings.
Reply 84
Just out of interest, do those who feel so strongly about piercing babies' ears, on the basis of causing them unnecessary pain without their consent, also object to, say, circumcision on religious grounds?
Reply 85
i had my done when i was 10, i wasn't allowed them done any earlier and i wouldn't let my kids have it done until about that age. i think they should be old enough to choose for themselves and i don't think it looks nice on babies.
How much time do people spend staring at babies ears to determine that a tiny little stud doesn't look nice? And what is it about them that doesn't look nice. Most babies with pierced ears would be given a tiny, tasteful gold or silver stud, or maybe tiny sleepers.
If it was some humungous fake gold hoop that reached the child's elbow I could see the problem.
Reply 87
Just out of interest, do those who feel so strongly about piercing babies' ears, on the basis of causing them unnecessary pain without their consent, also object to, say, circumcision on religious grounds?

I do yes, religion is different and a harder to thing to fight against but I don't see the point of circumcision unless it's for a medical reason

I didn't cry at all when my ears were pierced, I was 6months old, I didn't cry, I didn't scream and I wasn't bothered by my tiny gold stud earrings.

You can actually remember your feelings at 6 months old?
Reply 88
Sorani

You can actually remember your feelings at 6 months old?

I was told by my mother who had a very good idea about when her baby girl was upset or not. I don't believe that my mother would lie to me.
Having a baby's ears pierced isn't quite the crisis situation you make it out to be.
My mum had mine done at a private clinic overseas. Hardly similar to Claire's :rolleyes:

IzzyWizzy
I don't like it. When I lived in Dublin I saw a little girl in Claire's, about 3 years old, screaming her head off because she didn't want to get her ears pierced. She had already had one ear done and the sound of the gun scared her and she was in tears and refusing to get the other side done.

That's why it's best to have it done at a young age. A baby can’t run away and refuse.
Reply 90
I was told by my mother who had a very good idea about when her baby girl was upset or not. I don't believe that my mother would lie to me.
Having a baby's ears pierced isn't quite the crisis situation you make it out to be.

I'm not making it out to be a crisis, I'm just against sticking needles through unconsenting babies ears. It's really a consent thing to me, you shouldn't be forcing babies to have things done just because it's what you want.

And remember this is an issue of opinion - don't make statements and assume you're right, you're not right and neither am I. It's what a person believes is the right thing.
i agree with 99% of the people on this thread... anyone getting their ears pierced should be able to give consent on whether they want it done or not. if the child grows up and doesn't like having earrings and takes them out there's a chance there's always scarring/hole. the ears could get hurt during rough and tumble. i had mine done around age 6/7 but that's because i'd pestered my mum and actually wanted them done. i saw a few month old baby - 3 months perhaps? - a little boy with one ear pierced. babies are not fashion accessories! i think it even looks thuggish on little kids/chavvy.
Reply 92
bluedreamer
My mum had mine done at a private clinic overseas. Hardly similar to Claire's :rolleyes:

That's why it's best to have it done at a young age. A baby can’t run away and refuse.

Uh, wouldn't it be better to actually wait till they're old enough to decide if they actually WANT holes in their ears?
J...

I suppose the whole piercing ears depends on your culture, where im from its the norm to have it done when they are babies, they play with it less and it dosnt get infected as much and they have no recollection of any pain it just makes more sense this way...

You mean you are a chav?

What purpose does it serve: the baby doesnt want earings.
bluedreamer

That's horrible, and the reason why babies shouldn't have their ear pierced because they CAN'T get away, it's a form of child abuse, you may as well let a mother pin her child down and stick pins through her willy nilly. I'm sorry I just find it wrong and disgusting, and it should be banned until the child is at least 8, if not a bit older
Reply 95
I'm glad my mum had my ears pierced young, it's a fact that babies who have their ears pierced are far less likely to get infections than children who have their ears pierced, I'm not saying it wouldn't happen but it's less likely.
My mum cared for my ears really well and hence there was no infection and no problems. I never caught my earrings on anything because they were so tiny.
I know loads of people who have just let their ears close up and not one of them got a scar because it's such a tiny hole.
If you don't like it then don't let your children get it done, that's fine that's an opinion which everyone is entitled to.
But don't look down on those who do, it's not child abuse. I have never felt abused because of my earrings, nor did my mother or her mother, nor did my two female cousins or my aunts.
bluedreamer

If a child refuses to have their ears pierced, isn't that, erm, a good sign that maybe they shouldn't get them pierced?

Is it just me, or is the only good reason to get your ears pierced the fact that you want them pierced? Or is there some other benefit to having them pierced that would justify piercing a child's ears despite their refusal?
more adventurous
If a child refuses to have their ears pierced, isn't that, erm, a good sign that maybe they shouldn't get them pierced?

Is it just me, or is the only good reason to get your ears pierced the fact that you want them pierced? Or is there some other benefit to having them pierced that would justify piercing a child's ears despite their refusal?

couldn't agree more!
NeverMindThat
You mean you are a chav?

What purpose does it serve: the baby doesnt want earings.

I had promised myself that I would leave this argument, but ah well...

I doubt she means she's a chav - I wasn't aware that babies having their ears pierced was akin to Burberry and Adidas tracksuits before this thread, but there you go. I'm thinking she means that she is either Indian/pakistani/sri lankan or West Indian/African.

And how can you prove that the baby doesn't want earrings? How does anyone know what a baby wants? THEY'RE EARRINGS! In most cases tiny studs, that the baby won't even notice until they're quite a bit older. I would say that one would have to be more careful and sensitive when piercing a baby's ears, to prevent it from being a traumatising experience, but how can you complain about it as an actual item of jewellery? Why do you think labels such as Gap and Ralph Lauren have entire baby ranges? Parents like their babies (especially little girls) to look pretty. Ultimately, until about the age of two, your parents are going to every single decision for you - many of which will probably shape the rest of your life. Of all of them, I think piercing your ears is the least of your worries.
Reply 99
I wouldn't put my baby through pain just for the sake of making her look pretty, and I think that's what more people have an issue with than the actual appearance of the earrings - the fact that a parent would put their child through pain DELIBERATELY for such a trivial reason, for the sake of something they can CHOOSE to have done when they're older.

Latest

Trending

Trending