Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you worry about being doomed to doing a really low-paying job for the rest of your life? Imagine going to Uni for 3/4 or even more years and not getting a decent career out of it?

By decent, I mean like getting an entry-level £20k+ plus position with atleast some prospects.

I'm 23, and have already been laid off twice. I wasted 3 years of my life on an Apprenticeship that got me nowhere. I've decided to do Access to Business and then apply for an Accountancy course, and eventually apply for Trainee Accountant positions.

Thing is, if I don't manage to get a good career out of this degree then I feel like there's nothing else for it. I'd end up just signing up for the Army Infantry or something and hoping I get sent off to war.

ReputationRep:
    I wish to be an accountant and my mum works at one.. She has spoken to people at her work who have said the best thing to do is apply without any degrees ect and let them train you up how they want to.. They'll often pay for your exams and of course.. You'll have a job after of around 25k and it's generally more in London.. So ask around your nearest accountancy firm if that's what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinny_love)
    I wish to be an accountant and my mum works at one.. She has spoken to people at her work who have said the best thing to do is apply without any degrees ect and let them train you up how they want to.. They'll often pay for your exams and of course.. You'll have a job after of around 25k and it's generally more in London.. So ask around your nearest accountancy firm if that's what you want to do
    Signing up without any qualifications and experience doesn't sound like it would work tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace Ten)
    Signing up without any qualifications and experience doesn't sound like it would work tbh.
    Well it does.

ReputationRep:
    I does work. I know a whole business worth of accountants that got into it that way

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried about it.

I know I'm going to do well in uni because my average so far is really high. If I don't get any professional jobs when I finish, I'll blame the economy and the times we live in, not myself.

To be honest I come from a very poor family so by having a degree I'll be distinguished from them whether I have a good job or not.

ReputationRep:
    I assumed you entered your apprenticeship with little qualification or experience? It can work the same way with accountancy. If you study it at uni you will be covering a lot of aspects which are only relevant for certain types of jobs and will be required to take further exams after you graduate which employers will usually support you through.

If you get a job and are trained by the company instead of going through uni, they will ensure that you are learning the things which will allow you to fulfil the role which you have with them. They will still get you the qualifications but you will be earning from the start and will be able to avoid doing a lot of the unnecessary work. Of course, a lot of people would rather have the university experience but both are definitely options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinny_love)
    I does work. I know a whole business worth of accountants that got into it that way
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Well it does.
    (Original post by hollo)
    I assumed you entered your apprenticeship with little qualification or experience? It can work the same way with accountancy. If you study it at uni you will be covering a lot of aspects which are only relevant for certain types of jobs and will be required to take further exams after you graduate which employers will usually support you through.

If you get a job and are trained by the company instead of going through uni, they will ensure that you are learning the things which will allow you to fulfil the role which you have with them. They will still get you the qualifications but you will be earning from the start and will be able to avoid doing a lot of the unnecessary work. Of course, a lot of people would rather have the university experience but both are definitely options.
    Considering the conditions in the job market at the moment, are you sure this isn't more of a long shot than you're letting on? :rolleyes:

And yes I entered my apprenticeship with little qualifications and experience. Just as well really, given the whole idea behind an apprenticeship is to give the candidate qualifications and experience.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the conditions in the job market at the moment, are you sure this isn't more of a long shot than you're letting on? :rolleyes:
    No, i've just accepted an accounting apprenticeship :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    No, i've just accepted an accounting apprenticeship :rolleyes:
    Go you. :facepalm2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.