Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How would the world be different if the entirety of the Americas never existed. Columbus found nothing but water and never made it home.

How would the world be different?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Arguably unanswerable. The world as we know it could have been completely and utterly different.

ReputationRep:
    * The lightbulb might never have been invented and the electrical revolution might never have taken place.

* Hitler would probably have won WW2 and Europe would today be living under a fascist regime.

* We'd all be a lot less fat and global warming probably wouldn't be a major concern.

Edit: All jokes aside I would agree with the post above, your question is ultimately unanswerable.

ReputationRep:
    There would be a lot more fat/crippled/weak black people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Amukee)
    There would be a lot more fat/crippled/weak black people
    Fat I get. Crippled? Why? And weak? I'm assuming that's from some weird belief African Americans are weaker than Africans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)
    * The lightbulb might never have been invented and the electrical revolution might never have taken place.

* Hitler would probably have won WW2 and Europe would today be living under a fascist regime.

* We'd all be a lot less fat and global warming probably wouldn't be a major concern.

Edit: All jokes aside I would agree with the post above, your question is ultimately unanswerable.
    Germany could ever have made the UK surrender. Their only chance to invade was the Battle of Britain.

You think they could have beat Russia?

Would WW2 even have happened?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Well. European civilisation would've been different. The power base wouldn't have been so concentrated in the north/west, would've remained around the Mediterranean. Greater prominence to southern European civilisation. Less goods to trade, a less powerful Spain... probably Ottoman hegemony over the Mediterranean, which would retain its importance too. Might stop the impact of colonialism to an extent, without the foundations in the New World.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)

America joining in the first world world war considerably turned the balance in favour of the allies. If America hadn't been involved the allies could never have won such a decisive military victory, the war would have continued to be a massive grind. The people would have realised the war was pointless and maybe the terms of a peace treaty wouldn't have been so harsh on Germany

ReputationRep:
    Better culture in England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    How would the world be different if the entirety of the Americas never existed. Columbus found nothing but water and never made it home.

How would the world be different?
    I will take you to the pub for Sunday lunch and tell you. We can have Sweet & Sour beef with Yorkshire pudding and wash it down with a glass of Olde Englishe Saki.

ReputationRep:
    The world map would look very strange

ReputationRep:
    Fat I get. Crippled? Why? And weak? I'm assuming that's from some weird belief African Americans are weaker than Africans?
    The Slave Trade.

ReputationRep:
    We wouldn't of had Frasier

ReputationRep:
    The Slave Trade.
    Name:  lebowski.gif
Views: 193
Size:  391.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    no 9/11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    Name:  lebowski.gif
Views: 193
Size:  391.3 KB
    eh?

ReputationRep:
    eh?
    Name:  goatstare.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  16.2 KB

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I will take you to the pub for Sunday lunch and tell you. We can have Sweet & Sour beef with Yorkshire pudding and wash it down with a glass of Olde Englishe Saki.
    I don't understand. Are you implying that Japan would have annexed China and then defeated Germany in WWIII?

ReputationRep:
    Germany could ever have made the UK surrender. Their only chance to invade was the Battle of Britain.

You think they could have beat Russia?

Would WW2 even have happened?
    Germany was beating Russia - Germany came within a few hours drive of Moscow and would have taken it even without any change in the rest of the war had it not been for a stupid decision to take Leningrad first and occupy rather than simply destroy and skirt around Stalingrad (all of which were decisions made by Hitler rather than his generals). The German military was far superior to the Soviet military and if Germany hadn't been fighting us in North Africa and having to prepare for a potential invasion in the west then yes, I think they would have taken Moscow and forced the Russians to capitulate.

The Battle of Britain which they lost thanks in considerable part to aircraft and arimen supplied by America to support Britain. The Battle of Britain which would never even have taken place if it hadn't beeen for the millions of tonnes of food, munitions and other crucial supplies being imported from America every week. Germany could have invaded and forced us to surrender if they had done so immediately following Dunkirk (almost without a doubt) but even without allowing for that I think that they would eventually have starved us out. Without American support I doubt we could have held on to North Africa indefinitely, Hitler would have captured the Arabian oilfields and it would have been a question of whether he could use the much larger combined European manufacturing base to overwhelm us or whether we would have run out of food and fuel for our jets first. For all Churchills brilliant rhetoric I also strongly suspect that without American support or continued Russian resistance Britain would eventually have discussed terms of surrender.

Why would WW2 not have happened? The main causal factor for WW2 was arguably the Treaty of Versailles and Woodrow Wilsons influence was actually to reduce the severity of the sanctions against Germany as described by that treaty. There are several things which might have prevented WW2 but I don't think the non-existence of the USA is one of them.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    America joining in the first world world war considerably turned the balance in favour of the allies. If America hadn't been involved the allies could never have won such a decisive military victory, the war would have continued to be a massive grind. The people would have realised the war was pointless and maybe the terms of a peace treaty wouldn't have been so harsh on Germany
    I'm afraid that I would have to argue the precise opposite, the longer the war 'ground on' for the greater the sentiment was (particularly within France) for harsher penalties. Furthermore I would contend that the influence of the USA (precisely because they had suffered so much less and were so much further removed from the conflict) was to dramatically soften the Treaty of Versailles. One argument which could have merit but which you haven't suggested is that without Woodrow Wilsons influence a much harsher treaty might actually have damaged Germany to such a massive extent that it would have been unable to rearm and seriously threaten France/Britain. However I don't believe that this would be true either because ultimately the original treaty was sufficient to ensure Germany never became a serious miltary force again, it was able to do so because the Allies came to the opinion that the treaty had been too harsh and pretty much turned a blind eye to German re-arming.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.