Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Q: If w = f(x,y), where x = e^r \cos \theta and y=e^r \sin \theta. Show that w_{xx} + w_{yy} = e^{-2r} (w_{rr} + w_{\theta \theta}).

Using the chain rule \displaystyle \frac{\partial w}{\partial r} = \displaystyle \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} \displaystyle \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + \displaystyle \frac{\partial w}{\partial y} \displaystyle \frac{\partial y }{\partial r}, I get w_r = f_x (x,y).e^r \cos \theta + f_y (x,y). e^r \sin \theta.

But now I don't know how to find w_{rr}, when I have the function w_r in terms of f_x (x,y), f_y (x,y), \theta and r. If it would've been in terms of theta and r only, then it'd have been easy. How do I evaluate it further? I presume I'd get a form of f_{xy} (x,y) maybe.

Please help!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Zishi)

Please help!
    As no one else has replied.

Yes, you'll get terms in f_{xy} (x,y),f_{yx} (x,y),f_{yy} (x,y),f_{xx} (x,y) as well as f_{y} (x,y),f_{x} (x,y) via chain rule and product rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    As no one else has replied.

Yes, you'll get terms in f_{xy} (x,y),f_{yx} (x,y),f_{yy} (x,y),f_{xx} (x,y) as well as f_{y} (x,y),f_{x} (x,y) via chain rule and product rule.
    Sorry for late reply. I'll try doing it via chain rule and product rule. Just wanted to ask one more thing. I learned that putting value of \cos \theta and \sin \theta i.e \dfrac{x}{e^r} and \dfrac{y}{e^r} in \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1 and making the right hand side of that equation equal to zero will gives us the left hand side as the function of x and y, i.e f(x,y). I used that function directly(i.e not working in terms of f(x,y)), and I was able to prove the equation.

My question is how does that way work? That doesn't make any sense - I mean that function f(x,y) could have any equation, so how can we get its equation by just using an identity?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Sorry for late reply. I'll try doing it via chain rule and product rule. Just wanted to ask one more thing. I learned that putting value of \cos \theta and \sin \theta i.e \dfrac{x}{e^r} and \dfrac{y}{e^r} in \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1 and making the right hand side of that equation equal to zero will gives us the left hand side as the function of x and y, i.e f(x,y). I used that function directly(i.e not working in terms of f(x,y)), and I was able to prove the equation.

My question is how does that way work? That doesn't make any sense - I mean that function f(x,y) could have any equation, so how can we get its equation by just using an identity?
    You'll have to elaborate as I don't follow. Also the bit in bold.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to elaborate as I don't follow. Also the bit in bold.
    I meant to say that I have been told that putting \cos \theta and \sin \theta i.e \dfrac{x}{e^r} and \dfrac{y}{e^r} in the identity \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1 gives  \left(\dfrac{x}{e^r}  \right)^2 + \left(\dfrac{y}{e^r} \right)^2 = 1 \Rightarrow x^2 + y^2 = e^{2r} \Rightarrow x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} = 0. And then taking f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} and putting f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} in w_r = f_x (x,y).e^r \cos \theta + f_y (x,y). e^r \sin \theta(from post #1) and then solving the equation(which is easy to do when we've got an equation of f(x,y)) proves the question in the first post.

I just wanted to ask that why does that work? How is an identity useful in finding the equation of a function when we're given it's variables in terms of other variables(x, y in r and theta)?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Zishi)
    I meant to say that I have been told that putting \cos \theta and \sin \theta i.e \dfrac{x}{e^r} and \dfrac{y}{e^r} in the identity \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1 gives  \left(\dfrac{x}{e^r}  \right)^2 + \left(\dfrac{y}{e^r} \right)^2 = 1 \Rightarrow x^2 + y^2 = e^{2r} \Rightarrow x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} = 0. And then taking f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} and putting f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} in w_r = f_x (x,y).e^r \cos \theta + f_y (x,y). e^r \sin \theta(from post #1) and then solving the equation(which is easy to do when we've got an equation of f(x,y)) proves the question in the first post.

I just wanted to ask that why does that work? How is an identity useful in finding the equation of a function when we're given it's variables in terms of other variables(x, y in r and theta)?
    If I read this right, you've not actually proved the original question for a general f(x,y) with this method, but rather taken a specific f(x,y), i.e. x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} which actually involves an r as well, and shown that it's true for that.

ReputationRep:
    If I read this right, you've not actually proved the original question for a general f(x,y) with this method, but rather taken a specific f(x,y), i.e. x^2 + y^2 - e^{2r} which actually involves an r as well, and shown that it's true for that.
    Yes, that r has to be taken as a constant. Although I'd always like to prove for a general f(x,y), but I don't understand this method of finding a specific f(x,y).
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Yes, that r has to be taken as a constant. Although I'd always like to prove for a general f(x,y), but I don't understand this method of finding a specific f(x,y).
    You say "method". Is this something you've come up with/noticed?

PS: I'm not the most knowledgeable person on partial derivatives, so anyone more up to speed, feel free to chip in.

ReputationRep:
    You say "method". Is this something you've come up with/noticed?

PS: I'm not the most knowledgeable person on partial derivatives, so anyone more up to speed, feel free to chip in.
    Nah, I was having problem with evaluating the derivatives(chain rules, etc) in terms of f(x,y), f_{xy} (x,y),f_{yx} (x,y),f_{yy} (x,y),f_{xx} (x,y). So I asked a friend to solve this question and he came up with this "method". The thing is that he was unable to explain how it works.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Nah, I was having problem with evaluating the derivatives(chain rules, etc) in terms of f(x,y), f_{xy} (x,y),f_{yx} (x,y),f_{yy} (x,y),f_{xx} (x,y). So I asked a friend to solve this question and he came up with this "method". The thing is that he was unable to explain how it works.
    If you write practically any function of x and y and have w=f(x,y), x=e^r cos t and y =e^r sin t then it will satisfy that pde. That's the whole point. You just need the various derivatives to exist.

Did you prove it in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    If you write practically any function of x and y and have w=f(x,y), x=e^r cos t and y =e^r sin t then it will satisfy that pde. That's the whole point. You just need the various derivatives to exist.

Did you prove it in the end?
    So I need to write any function of f(x,y) which will NOT give f_{xy} (x,y),f_{yx} (x,y),f_{yy} (x,y),f_{xx} (x,y) equal to zero, right? And btw now I understand how to do it generally, thanks to your solution. (PRSOM)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Zishi)
    So I need to write any function of f(x,y) which will NOT give f_{xy} (x,y),f_{yx} (x,y),f_{yy} (x,y),f_{xx} (x,y) equal to zero, right? And btw now I understand how to do it generally, thanks to your solution. (PRSOM)
    For the question you gave you don't have to find f(x,y) at all.

The derivatives being = 0 is not a problem.

f(x,y)=0 works.

f(x,y)=x+y^2 works.

I think, in fact, that we just need w_{xx} etc to be continuous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    For the question you gave you don't have to find f(x,y) at all.

The derivatives being = 0 is not a problem.

f(x,y)=0 works.

f(x,y)=x+y^2 works.

I think, in fact, that we just need w_{xx} etc to be continuous.
    Alright. Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.