Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have Celeron 1.6 GHz CPU ... my MSI motherboard can support 4 GB PCI graphic slot and it has 128 Mb built in shared from RAm... it can support 4GB ram in 1 slot (it has 2 slot) and at latest it can support intel dual core CPU.... currently i have no graphics slot , i have 512 mb ram and u know my CPU(see above) .. i can play cs 1.6 and dota(WoW/TFT) just fine but playing CSS laggs my pc and sometimes it crashed... should i max out my CPU and Graphics or do i need to change my whole pc

ReputationRep:
    What's the entire spec of it? I'm already thinking it might be worth binning it though.

If you don't know how to check the spec download speccy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott1541)
    What's the entire spec of it? I'm already thinking it might be worth binning it though.

If you don't know how to check the spec download speccy
    why don't you think i can play games if i add dual core intel and 4 gb graphics? i dont know entire spec... i use everest for detailed specing what spec do u need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidbaroi)
    why don't you think i can play games if i add dual core intel and 4 gb graphics? i dont know entire spec... i use everest for detailed specing what spec do u need?
    Upgrading it may enable you to play more games, but I don't think investing too much money in an old PC is a good idea as in most cases you can get more for your money with newer hardware.

The most useful piece of information you could provide would be the motherboard model, as then you can find out the fastest CPU it will support, and this will give you a better idea of cost and whether it's actually worth it or not.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what the spec is then i'd say leave it and get a new one as you don't know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Now I know the specs of my pc >> It is dual core 2.93 GHz intel, Intel G41 Motherboard , 1 GB ram, no Graphics card, Can i Play dota 2 now? or i have to buy RAm or graphics card?

ReputationRep:
    Now I know the specs of my pc >> It is dual core 2.93 GHz intel, Intel G41 Motherboard , 1 GB ram, no Graphics card, Can i Play dota 2 now? or i have to buy RAm or graphics card?
    You need more ram, at least 4gb.................then you need a good power supply which will support a decent graphic card.
    Why not just check the dota system requirements.
    And well your system is years behind.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the kit of your current PC, I would suggest that you save and build a new one from scratch.

You always run the risk of creating possible bottle-necking by combining low and high spec hardware.

ReputationRep:
    You need a much better graphics card than a 1.6 Ghz these days. I think buy a new pc as it seems pretty outdated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladynova)
    You need a much better graphics card than a 1.6 Ghz these days. I think buy a new pc as it seems pretty outdated
    you mean processor right......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    you mean processor right......
    idk I am not a computer whiz. I just know I have a dedicated graphics card which I guess is the processor as well no idea.

ReputationRep:
    1.6GHz CPU will bottleneck you with whatever upgrade you make. My phone runs a measly 400MHz slower than that. You have literally got the lowest of the low of modern CPUs and despite what people say about how upgrading your graphics card helps with games, it won't with that processor.

You are better off buying an entirely new PC - the only possible option other than that is to replace your CPU with something beefier, which means knowing exactly which sockets your mobo supports, upgrade your RAM to at least 4GB, and you'll need to get a PCI-E graphics card (which you would need to make sure the mobo also supports) with at least 512MB of memory to even have a chance at playing the most recent games.

All in all, unless you buy a new PC, you're effectively going to be buying a new PC with the number of parts you'll need to replace anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladynova)
    idk I am not a computer whiz. I just know I have a dedicated graphics card which I guess is the processor as well no idea.
    Its not loool the 1.6ghz is the processor aka cpu..........gpu is the graphics processor.

ReputationRep:
    Now I know the specs of my pc >> It is dual core 2.93 GHz intel, Intel G41 Motherboard , 2 GB ram, no Graphics card, i can run dota 2 in medium graphics quality at 1024*960 sth resolution.....thanks for all the post guyz....was helpful....

ReputationRep:
    I have Celeron 1.6 GHz CPU ... i have 512 mb ram and u know my CPU(see above)

Now I know the specs of my pc >> It is dual core 2.93 GHz intel, Intel G41 Motherboard , 2 GB ram, no Graphics card, i can run dota 2 in medium graphics quality at 1024*960 sth resolution.....thanks for all the post guyz....was helpful....
    Wow, your PC seems to be upgrading itself just by posting about it.

If you want to play the latest games you need a computer built within the last year or two with a decent dedicated graphics card. Saying it's a Dual Core 2.95 GHz system suggests it's at least 5 years old. In computer terms that's ancient! Probably running a 32bit OS (XP or Vista) which you'd need to upgrade as well if you add more than ~3GB RAM - and it's not quickly obvious if the G41 chipset is 64bit capable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Wow, your PC seems to be upgrading itself just by posting about it.

If you want to play the latest games you need a computer built within the last year or two with a decent dedicated graphics card. Saying it's a Dual Core 2.95 GHz system suggests it's at least 5 years old. In computer terms that's ancient! Probably running a 32bit OS (XP or Vista) which you'd need to upgrade as well if you add more than ~3GB RAM - and it's not quickly obvious if the G41 chipset is 64bit capable.
    Bro I run windows 7 and can play smoohtly medium graphics dota 2 (set at medium settings for shadows, fogs, textures etc at 1024*960 resolution) I bought a cheap 2nd hand pc of that specification and trashed my 1st 1.6 ghz cpu pc....the 2nd hand pc has the specification i mentioned in last reply. Thanks for helping.....take care

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an old slow CPU there.

You need a graphics card and more RAM. At least 4GB or 8GB if you're running 64 bit.

ReputationRep:
    Its not worth the upgrade to be honest, it would be cheaper to start fresh. You could do with a new CPU (upgrade to quad core) and a bit more ram and a GPU. Now giving the specs the motherboard will only support ddr2 ram (which is no longer made) only support a select few CPU's and not even sure if your PSU will support a GPU, if it will the CPU may bottleneck it.

But if you wanted you could have a look for a cheapish GPU (not anything half decent) and see if that improves it, but check your PSU have the power for it and your MB have a slot for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.