Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been pondering over this for weeks. The decision of rooting my android has been something i've not being able to finalize. I think rooting my android phone is "disvirgining" it and i would love it to remain pure and stiil be able to do those things rooted phones can do (if its possible)... What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I was forced to root mine since my firmware updated and locked itself back to vodafone so my o2 sim was suddenly blocked. The only difference now is that a warning sign comes up when I switch it on, but even that can ne remedied if I really want. I actually don't know the difference.

Rooting my phone hasn't actually improved it in any way. I just had to do it to unlock my sim. Oh and I installed o2 firmware so now it shows the o2 logo when I turn it on, instead of vodafone. Pointless alteration but I did it, hah.

Probably there are looooads of other things I could do now that it's rooted, but I'm just not interested!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovelake16)
    I've been pondering over this for weeks. The decision of rooting my android has been something i've not being able to finalize. I think rooting my android phone is "disvirgining" it and i would love it to remain pure and stiil be able to do those things rooted phones can do (if its possible)... What do you think?
    Why do you want to root your phone? What will you do that requires root?

ReputationRep:
    I think the pre-installed apps on my Samsung GT 15800 is taking too much of useful phone memory. I have loads of stuffs i'd like to install but i keep getting the "low memory" message which is quite frustrating...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it's worth it. Although don't you think you'd be better off getting a new phone. The 5800 is 3 years old now and you can get phones with bigger internal memory for under £70.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmnn... Thats really a good suggestion, i'll think about it. Thanks a lot man

ReputationRep:
    if you got any games or (non-system) apps with info (like game saves) you cant backup to an external storage through the app itself its probably worth rooting just so you can transfer the stuff to any new phone your getting

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.