Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mourinho's Real Madrid tenure Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you rate Mourinho's Real Madrid tenure?
    1/10
    7.41%
    2/10
    0%
    3/10
    0%
    4/10
    7.41%
    5/10
    14.81%
    6/10
    55.56%
    7/10
    7.41%
    8/10
    7.41%
    9/10
    0%
    10/10
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd do a poll about Mourinho's three year tenure at Real Madrid and gather some views as to whether people think he was a success or not. Many rate him as one of the best or the best manager currently active (taking into account SAF will have retired for next season).

2010-2011: League runners up, champions league semi-finalists, winners of Copa del Rey
    2011-2012: League winners, champions league semi-finalists, QF of Copa del Rey
    2012-2013: League runners up, champions league semi-finalists, runners up of Copa del Rey (won Supercopa de España - community shield equivalent)

Mourinho himself has described this season the worst of his career.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22578880

So was he a success, somewhat a success, par, poor, very poor? What would you rate his tenure out of ten? (see the poll).

People may only consider trophies, money spent, wealth of squad, youth, overall club etc.

ReputationRep:
    A failure given the quality of the players at his disposal. By causing fractures within the club his man management skills are questionable imo.

ReputationRep:
    His first two years were, on the whole, successes.

His final year, he totally lost it and has been an embarrassment to himself. Horrible man management and a determination to burn every bridge imaginable just to, presumably, get himself sacked.

ReputationRep:
    i think mourinho's decisions have cost him. not playing casillas and having fights with half the team can't have helped. also his summer signings were poor. instead of buying decent defenders he goes and gets midfielders as if he doesn't have enough of that already. mourinho has only himself to blame

ReputationRep:
    Real Madrid's managerial history says that any manager going there is going to have a tough job but Mourinho, after winning the CL in 2010, was always seen as someone who could have brought home the 10th European Cup which Perez desperately wants but he's a satisfactory spell there, but not one to be majorly remembered (maybe for Mourinho's antics, confrontations).

The first season he was against Pep's Barca and the second, I wonder if he would have won the league had Barca not been the same team and harmony that was there for the few years before but credit to Jose for taking full advantage. His last year heralded a brilliant victory at the Camp Nou but more off the field issues. He just seems to have decided that he was going to attack and confront rather than harmonise.

There was a temporary reprieve and calm for the CL but since they went out of that, JM's letting off grenedes everywhere as he saunters off away from the Bernabeu on a plane to London.

ReputationRep:
    Barca lost 7-0 to Bayern and yet Real finished miles behind them? No excuse for that. His CL record is poor and considering the squad he has, he deserves a 5/10 for me.

ReputationRep:
    On the whole, I would say he's not done well.

Although he was going against possibily the greatest club side many of us will witness in our life, his highly inflammatory managerial style was found out in the end as he in the main failed to unravel Barcelona be it through his eye gouging, trying to cause distrest between the spanish players of Barca and Real, and now purposely falling out with all his players.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho's contribution to Spain: Disrespect for Casillas, Guardiola and Tito, almost destroyed Del Bosque's La Roja and divided Real Madrid

Name:  17735_605175019511184_738907346_n17.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  73.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Barca lost 7-0 to Bayern and yet Real finished miles behind them? No excuse for that. His CL record is poor and considering the squad he has, he deserves a 5/10 for me.
    His Cl record is not poor, he has been in 3 semi finals in the 3 years hes been at the club. Secondly just because Barcelona lost to Bayern does not make them a poor side.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.marca.com/2013/05/18/en/f...368903267.html

87% of marca readers consider mourinho a failure

ReputationRep:
    Put 6/10 he had massive funds but was also up against what has been an awesome (once in a generation good) Barcelona team.
    I do really rate him as a manager, but this whole us vs them mentality he always tries to build is just getting tiresome, seriously he did at Chelsea, even more at Inter and then took it to the extreme at Madrid. Its got to the point where its definitely harming the team.
    It'll be interesting to see how his next job goes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give him a 5/10 and that feels slightly generous.

On the pitch he's done reasonably well, winning a league title and getting to 3 CL semi-finals is good but he failed to achieve what he was signed to do, bring home the 10th CL for Real and break Barca's dominance.

Once again his massive ego has got in his way. Ever since he arrived at the club he began dividing everyone into those who were 'his' and those who weren't, he tried to be the biggest, most important thing at the club and sowed the seeds for the embarrasment that the end of this season has been. He's pretty constantly picked fights with players, backroom staff, club and league officials as well as the press and blames everyone but himself for the club's failures.

It's not even like this is the first time this has happened, it was the same at Inter and at Chelsea, for me 'the Special One' is a risk not worth taking anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Even though I'm one of Jose's biggest fans, even I have to admit he has been slightly disappointing overall at Madrid. 6/10 at best. He deserves credit for being successful at Real (albeit having a nice amount of money to spend and a talented squad to start with). But at the same time, he has failed to man-manage the players properly (particularly this season) which I believe is the main reason they haven't won the CL under Jose yet. Also, he has done some embarrassing/bad things that even I can't defend him for.

Maybe Jose deliberately clashed with the players because he hated it in Spain and wanted to get sacked and collect a massive compensation package. But we'll never know.

Anyway, I'm not happy to see the current state of Jose at Madrid. I want him to leave asap and get back to being the guy I knew and loved from Porto to Inter; the guy worthy of being called "The Special One".

ReputationRep:
    To decide whether he was a failure you have to consider what the target was for him and the club when he joined them, which was obviously to win the CL and he failed to do that on three occasions.

ReputationRep:
    An announcement to be made this evening by Perez, seems to be confirmed he will go at the end of the season. That's nice, I guess they want Jose to soak up the "love" from everyone before he departs.

ReputationRep:
    6/10

ReputationRep:
    Well he's been sacked/mutual termination!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.